The Neo Geo mini is coming...

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I just saw the video....I was looking forward to this but the picture quality looks blurry and is full of screen tearing. Also button placement aside they said in the video that the stick has been modified and looking at the video there is something off with how the stick moves, I hope they have micro-switches and not some sort of analogue stick. Time will tell I guess, maybe it will turn out a bit better than we think but in any case I am unhappy about the different game selections for each region - just add them all to each version!

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
You'd need hands of a fetus to even play this pos.
They should have made it larger, say the size of an aes stick at least. This thing looks like a Christmas tree ornament ffs.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
...looking at the video there is something off with how the stick moves, I hope they have micro-switches and not some sort of analogue stick.

I noticed it as well. On second look, I'm pretty much 99% sure they cheaped out and went for an analog stick...

GIF to judge for yourself:
giphy.gif

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I noticed it as well. On second look, I'm pretty much 99% sure they cheaped out and went for an analog stick...

GIF to judge for yourself:
giphy.gif

I think he meant microswitches in the stick, not the pad.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Oh totally I mean it's not like the dimensions of the thing would do that.
It just baffles me even more that snk thought it was a good idea to begin with.Yeah i've seen it supports (ngcd style controllers) but there not suited well for fighters.The most there good for are non-ones at least i guess snk was being to cheap,provide aes style joysticks for the mini.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
I think he meant microswitches in the stick, not the pad.

Oh. I skimmed through the video, didn't really see the part where they used the joystick. I guess I wrongfully assumed that at least they couldn't fuck that up.

Kinda bummed about the pad, really. Even with the changed button layout, it'd be a nice, fresh USB NGCD pad for PC usage if they didn't fuck it up.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The new pad layout kinda makes sense. Now you can hold it more like a modern controller, with jump on the bottom, attack on the left button. I've always held that the pad wasn't designed to be held with that angle though.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The biggest problem is that it's just simply too small.

I get that they wanted to have their cake and eat it too by having both a mini console you can play on your TV and also the console itself, but that just doesn't work when you have a screen and gamepad that freaking tiny. It should have been 5" at minimum, but ideally 7" @ 4:3 ratio. The screen itself also looks cheap and crappy.

I'm also still baffled by their decision to strip the original color palette of the Japanese cab for the international versions. Why make it look more bland? Also, no one except for Neo fans are going to recognize that cab format. The big red cabs are synonymous with the Neo here, and it would have been a much better idea to make it look like one. I doubt it would have been all that expensive to produce a different mold, especially since it would undoubtedly sell more based off of visual recognition alone.

If it were me, they should have made a proper full-sized bartop for the collectors and enthusiasts accurate to the Jap and US cab designs, and then also released a mini console based off of the AES or Neo-CD for TV play and mainstream consumption.

Also, I'm assuming there were licensing issues for non SNK games, hence the omission of classics like Puzzle Bubble and Magical Drop. Shame because Puzzle Bobble was/is arguably the most commonly seen game on MVS cabs then and now.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
Screen tearing is a deal breaker for me. Even if they make a big red themed one bad emulation just ruins it.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
The biggest problem is that it's just simply too small.

I get that they wanted to have their cake and eat it too by having both a mini console you can play on your TV and also the console itself, but that just doesn't work when you have a screen and gamepad that freaking tiny. It should have been 5" at minimum, but ideally 7" @ 4:3 ratio. The screen itself also looks cheap and crappy.

I'm also still baffled by their decision to strip the original color palette of the Japanese cab for the international versions. Why make it look more bland? Also, no one except for Neo fans are going to recognize that cab format. The big red cabs are synonymous with the Neo here, and it would have been a much better idea to make it look like one. I doubt it would have been all that expensive to produce a different mold, especially since it would undoubtedly sell more based off of visual recognition alone.

If it were me, they should have made a proper full-sized bartop for the collectors and enthusiasts accurate to the Jap and US cab designs, and then also released a mini console based off of the AES or Neo-CD for TV play and mainstream consumption.

Also, I'm assuming there were licensing issues for non SNK games, hence the omission of classics like Puzzle Bubble and Magical Drop. Shame because Puzzle Bobble was/is arguably the most commonly seen game on MVS cabs then and now.
If they had made a proper bartop, with decent emulation, it would have been an instant buy. This thing is a mess and I'd only dream of purchasing if it was in the $30 range. Maybe forty to fifty dollars if it had two controllers thrown in. I can almost guarantee, with the way they are talking about it, that it's going to be well more expensive than that.

If it looks and plays like a cheap toy, it should be priced accordingly.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's a novelty. If you expect to really play on this you're going to be disappointed.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
This looks like shit. How hard is it to throw some goddamn roms in an AES shell? Skip the stupid screens and Neo Geo X portable crap.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Eh, if I get the chance, I'll probably scoop it. I think it looks kinda cool. :emb:

The only piece I'm waiting for are prices, if the main unit is $49.99 to $69.99, and the pads at $29.99 - $34.99 would still be worth it for me.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I' m guessing USD 89 for the unit plus 29,99 for the pads

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
It just baffles me even more that snk thought it was a good idea to begin with.Yeah i've seen it supports (ngcd style controllers) but there not suited well for fighters.The most there good for are non-ones at least i guess snk was being to cheap,provide aes style joysticks for the mini.

It could be a cutting cost measure and maybe saving more room for inventory. Just a guess though. I would like to hook up my AES sticks to it, but by that point I might as well just play my AES. I think the NGCD pads are a decent compromise.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
It could be a cutting cost measure and maybe saving more room for inventory. Just a guess though. I would like to hook up my AES sticks to it, but by that point I might as well just play my AES. I think the NGCD pads are a decent compromise.

Well it's pretty obvious that they started with the NGCD controller PCB as the basis of the whole machine. That way they get 2 different products out of one manufacturing process, so, yeah, it's definitely a cost saving measure.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
What an odd "hands on" ??? How can one film something while also filming nothing? They found a way.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
This looks pretty much unplayable on that mini cab, I guess unless it's connected to a TV it's pointless trying to play. If it's cheap I'll get it as a novelty and to support SNK.