The Mother Fucking Book Thread (No Comics Allowed)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I went looking at my local used book store to pick up Ken Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion because my friend recommended it, but they didn't have it. Here is what I did manage to get:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - I was surprised to find only one copy and it's undoubtedly one of the shittiest paperbacks I have ever seen. The cover of the book actually says BLADE RUNNER and has the fucking BR movie poster on it, and then in tiny parentheses it says "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" - whatever though, it was like $2 so I'll deal with it. I'm reading this now, just got to chapter 3. Definitely intrigued so far.

The Road - I've never read anything by Cormac McCarthy. I've seen this movie, liked it. Looking forward to reading the book. I was wanting to read some depressing, dystopian and/or post apocalyptic shit again.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Never read it. Figured I probably should.

Heart of Darkness - Never read it, again, figured I probably should.

I finished The Great Gatsby. I don't know guys, I enjoyed it but I guess it just wasn't for me.

I just want to say again that One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest is a fucking rad book. Damn what a great book.

Anyone want to recommend some dystopian and/or post-apocalyptic fiction?

I've read almost all of Philip K. Dick's books, and all but one are dystopian. (The one being Confessions of a Crap Artist.) And the only bad one I've read is Time, Inc. You're safe with any PKD if you're looking for dystopian, as long as you're OK with trippiness.

The Road is awful in my opinion, though I know most people loved it. This is The Road: We need to go south because reasons. We're starving. We better find food. We're freezing. We better find shelter. Uh oh, cannibals. Repeat x 1000. The author has said the book "wrote itself." I can tell.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Right now I am about half way through "Deception Point" by Dan Brown. I'm at the plot twist point in the book. Pretty good read so far.

fake

15 Year Member
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - I was surprised to find only one copy and it's undoubtedly one of the shittiest paperbacks I have ever seen. The cover of the book actually says BLADE RUNNER and has the fucking BR movie poster on it, and then in tiny parentheses it says "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" - whatever though, it was like $2 so I'll deal with it. I'm reading this now, just got to chapter 3. Definitely intrigued so far.

For what it's worth, Philip K. Dick saw a rough cut of Blade Runner before he died and gave it the thumbs up.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
For what it's worth, Philip K. Dick saw a rough cut of Blade Runner before he died and gave it the thumbs up.

It's been over 10 year since I saw Blade Runner but I appreciate how Blade Runner is an adaptation of the book, different enough to stand on its own.

I really liked the nuclear fallout aspect of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

I actually really like anti-nuclear fiction from the 1950s and 60s.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I picked to a hardcover Moby Dick at the used bookstore today. Very handsome volume, I just finished reading the first few chapters, really like books that make me look up terminology.

Glad I finally am starting in on this classic story.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
In case you did not know: Moby Dick is a fucking great book.

@fakeXsound: I finally finished The Road. I see what you mean about it. I wouldn't call it a bad book, but after reading the book I think I'll just recommend to people to watch the movie. They're nearly identical in content and I think you'll come away with the same thing if you see the movie versus read the book.

Heart of Darkness is my next read. Left it at work though, so no reading this weekend, damnit.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm coming up on the last 10 chapters of my current book.

Any one got any suggestions for books I should check out? I was thinking about maybe Faulkner, As I lay Dying?

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
I'm coming up on the last 10 chapters of my current book.

Any one got any suggestions for books I should check out? I was thinking about maybe Faulkner, As I lay Dying?

I always recommend "Ham on Rye" to anybody who hasn't read any Bukowski novels. Funniest book I've ever read.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Just read The Disaster Artist which is the book about The Room. If you thought the movie was insane the book helps in putting it all into context how it all came to be. I wish there was a bit of a story about the aftermath of the film being released and his feelings about it, but the history is a lot to take in. I found myself laughing a lot at how absurd the story was. I burned through it in about three days. It's a fun light read.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Can anyone recommend a book about writing fiction, specifically short stories?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Can anyone recommend a book about writing fiction, specifically short stories?
There is a Stephen King book about writing fiction (On Writing). Haven't read it myself.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
512PYWH40WL.jpg

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
Finished Catch 22 and loved it. I followed that up with Bukowski's Post Office which I liked, but enjoyed Women more. Currently reading After Dark By Murikami and like all the other Murikami books I've read I was hooked within the first couple pages.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Finished Catch 22 and loved it. I followed that up with Bukowski's Post Office which I liked, but enjoyed Women more. Currently reading After Dark By Murikami and like all the other Murikami books I've read I was hooked within the first couple pages.

heh, I just started After Dark as well, great stuff so far.

fake

15 Year Member
Last month I read the compilation of stories that A Christmas Story is based on. They're very similar to scenes in the movies, but it's still hilarious.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Finally completed my collection of the 1987 Arkham House, 7th corrected printing, three volume collection of Lovecraft stories.

Been looking to complete this collection, as these are fairly rare to find in good condition. Handsome editions, love the quality of the binding and paper. I shall keep these till the day I die.

P1000107.jpg

Sorry, but I figure this is the place to brag, if anywhere.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The art on the covers of those are rad.

I just finished reading Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark. Good read on skepticism and science.

Now I'm reading Tom Wolfe's The Bonfire of the Vanities.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I've also been off and on reading some stuff from Tom Paine. Been reading a little bit of The Age of Reason here and there.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I just finished Gene Wolfe's 'Shadow & Claw'. A difficult read, but very good SF/fantasy if you're into DUNE and Michael Moorcock. I may continue with the series.

I should really take a break and read some more Lovecraft (slowly working my way through the complete works Ebook available that Cthulhuchick compiled). Reading rocks!

I just started a Good Reads account.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Read Fight Club. It was short but actually a bit more graphic than the movie. If you like Phillip K. Dick you should absolutely read VALLIS.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Currently reading Twelfth Night

Nice! I read that and Antony and Cleopatra early last year for the first time. Wonderful stuff.

I really want to dip into the histories, I have Henry IV part 1 and 2 and Henry V sitting on my shelf - I need to read them!

fake

15 Year Member
I picked Fellowship of the Ring back up. It's good but boring, so it helps me fall asleep at night.

I'm also reading "They Eat Puppies, Don't They?" which I bought based on the cover - a pug dog dressed like a communist. It's about a defense lobbyist who has to convince everyone that China is a military threat, so he spreads a rumor that the Chinese are trying to kill the Dalai Lama

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Nice! I read that and Antony and Cleopatra early last year for the first time. Wonderful stuff.

I really want to dip into the histories, I have Henry IV part 1 and 2 and Henry V sitting on my shelf - I need to read them!

Cool! Those should be fascinating reads :)

I’ve basically been reading Shakespeare’s sonnets for a while. Just started Twelfth Night last week and then (hopefully) on to Much Ado About Nothing next.