The King Of Fighters XV (2020)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I can't get over how bland this game is. Everything just feels unfinished and slopped together.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I can't get over how bland this game is. Everything just feels unfinished and slopped together.
I don't get that vibe at all. I'm impressed by the level of detail in the characters and backgrounds. The fighting system is quite comprehensive. The content feels thin until you look at all the play options in the main menu, which is very similar to SFV. No voices in the ending scenes is very par for the course and unsurprising. The amount and quality of the soundtrack is outstanding.

Where did they rip off the style of the graphics in the voice credits sequence from. It's very slick and well-made, but definitely not original, though I can't place what movie or something they took it from.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
So i got my copy tonight and so far it comes off as bland and nothing special. Its looks just dont grab you. It kinda looks like a generic ps3 game in very high resolution.

Another question and point that bugs me is, as an xbox users im baffled why this is a Series only release. You're telling me this game couldnt run on a regular xbox one? Seems very doubtful.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I can't believe they left the KOF 12/13 engine behind for this. It breaks my heart.

The weird aesthetic choices like the graphical movement whisps that are a copy of what Capcom did with SF4 (and SNK also copied for the Sam Sho re-boot).

Modern fighters are just not for me man. To much fluff & shit. I don't want every fucking super move to turn into a god damn Final Fantasy 7 cut scene. It's like doing "knights of the round" every time I do an SDM.

The drawn out story modes are annoying. Modern, re-done voices in english are sacrilege.

I'd kill for the KOF 12/13 engine back. Those games were some of the pinnacle of 2D design.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Another question and point that bugs me is, as an xbox users im baffled why this is a Series only release. You're telling me this game couldnt run on a regular xbox one? Seems very doubtful.
Just wasn't worth the hassle is all.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
So i got my copy tonight and so far it comes off as bland and nothing special. Its looks just dont grab you. It kinda looks like a generic ps3 game in very high resolution.

Yeah I ran it on a 10th gen i3 with a 1060 at 1080p60. I'm sure the bar can be set even lower so I agree it seems very doubtful.

13 was the last proper KOF imo, 14 didn't grab me and this is just more of the same. The Metal Slug stage sounds like a great idea until it doesn't make any sense in a KOF game and combined with it's poor execution it hurts your eyes. Look at the POW's animation frames being lower than the game characters. Sticks out like dogs balls.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
The Metal Slug stage sounds like a great idea until it doesn't make any sense in a KOF game and combined with it's poor execution it hurts your eyes. Look at the POW's animation frames being lower than the game characters. Sticks out like dogs balls.
Yeah, the low framerate looks like ass. The band on the concert hall stage is even worse. This is a bit different, but a lot of modern games try to save resources by cutting the framerate in half for objects in the distance, but it always sticks out like a sore thumb to me. (Halo 5 was one of the more egregious examples of this, with the threshold for cutting the enemy animations set way too close to the camera.)

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
hows The net code? Is this game broken as far as juggling combos?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Netcode seems good for the most part. I've heard people here and there talking about one-sided rollback problems but that's definitely fixable. Wayyyy better than previous SNK games (14, Samurai 2019, etc.).

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Just wasn't worth the hassle is all.
The hassle? Its more of a hassle to make it a series exclusive when the series just plays all xbox one games. Its literally just pointlessly limiting the number of copies you're gonna sell.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
The hassle? Its more of a hassle to make it a series exclusive when the series just plays all xbox one games. Its literally just pointlessly limiting the number of copies you're gonna sell.
I'm pretty sure Microsoft requires all Xbox One games to have a One X mode. That's two more specs to optimize for that almost no one is going to play.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I can't believe they left the KOF 12/13 engine behind for this. It breaks my heart.

The weird aesthetic choices like the graphical movement whisps that are a copy of what Capcom did with SF4 (and SNK also copied for the Sam Sho re-boot).

Modern fighters are just not for me man. To much fluff & shit. I don't want every fucking super move to turn into a god damn Final Fantasy 7 cut scene. It's like doing "knights of the round" every time I do an SDM.

The drawn out story modes are annoying. Modern, re-done voices in english are sacrilege.

I'd kill for the KOF 12/13 engine back. Those games were some of the pinnacle of 2D design.
If anything SF4 kind of aped some of Sam-Sho's style from 3-5. Those games had some clear inspiration with Japanese brushwork and painting. Sam Sho 2019 just made a natural evolution of the graphics from the later 2D games, with maybe a little inspo from how SF4 and SF5 modernized it themselves.

I think it looks pretty good in KOF, even if I don't mentally associate that style with KOF.

As far as the KOF 12/13 engine, SNK is done and dusted with 2D that's super expensive and labor intensive. Check out the video below for the deets, but the long and short of it, it damn near killed the development team and sadly SNKP barely made money from them upon release.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member

Sir, you speak truth. Clear and loud. ALAS, I was at SNK back in 2008, they were about to release KOFXII (arcade). I spoke in person with both the ga,e planner and the main artist (Nona, my fav). They officially touted that year KOF as a "dream-match", and I ruthlessly cut thier faces with remarks such as "uh-uh, hence Iori with no flames, yeah sure". They eventually admitted investing in that kind of graphics was killing them, and all their competitors called them "crazy". Yet, the then-chief-of-sales Mr. Koyama was very proud, saying "it's only us who can create such a game". He was right. When the completed game, and that's KOFXIII of course, finally came out I can't remeber how many years later, I was almost reduced to tears. I mean, just looking as the very attract mode, the very fist cut of it: the spinning letter, the invitation ending with an R(ose), the dedication to the glorious past of the franchise. It still kills me that game could not have playable Adel, and the could not even use ALL THAT INSANE WORKLOAD to properly start the new saga with a 2D KOFXIV. Alas again, we know classic KOF were basically minor updates since KOF96 to say the least, since that was the very single big overhaul in a series. Major revamps also occurred in 99 and 2003 but hey, we know the story, NEO·GEO glory. So it's still unbelievable to me they seriously trashed KOFXIII gargantuan pixel art bliss just after a reiteration. With minor updates they could have run for much more. Fuck DLC characters. SFII'CE was a "new game" with not single brand-new sprite, and that was in the very heyday of the 2D fighter thing. So what? They gave out almost for three Billy Kane, classic variant of Iori and Kyo plus the playable boss with DLC? Just creating KOFXIV with some new backdrops and musics, adding maybe playable Adel, switching Hwa-Jay with Billy (Southtown Rivals), switching some other characters here and there and maybe adding just a couple more they could have at least had a proper "dream match" following Ash Saga, as tradition was claiming. :-(

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
KoF'96 was definetly the main game changer in the series. It might seem like something minor but I was gobsmacked when I first caught sight of Ryo's new stance. That was one of the most sublime moments in later SNK history in my opinion. It was also the last moment in my opInion, when SNK was interested in keeping this game series within the realm of martial arts culture.

Completely unrelated but Robert went from excellently well designed during the mid 90s to looking ridiculous ever since. That's something SNK hasn't done too well, keep with the integral nature of their characters.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
And you are right as well. Fact is KOF started as a minor, almost side project, and as for 94 and 95 their engine was still mostly based on Garou Desentsu SP, all packed up with a pure IREM vibe. With KOF96, KOF drastically changed into something different, a beast of its own, milking all SNK 1995 experience (GarouDen3, RyuuKo3). You may remember most of KOF97 new moves, etc (not to mention the storyline, retconned and all) was basically all comprised within KOF96 romset to begin with. And we know KOF98 was basically still KOF97, with just a bit of revamp and some "more of the same" stuff. Indeed KOF99 was another big change, and that is because of Daraku Tenshi, I'm sure you know what I am talking about. But in truth, that was something highly unforeseen by SNK itself if not to the last moment. I clearly remember a dear friend of mine, who had connection with Rome ENADA and SNK of Japan, just telling me in late 1998 that "the new KOF will change everything, the new starring will be the son of Rugal, hurling green flames from his hands". Back then, we teased him as a funster when KOF99 finally came out, but heh... you may imagine our faces when KOF2003 was released in the arcades.

Last edited:

geladobom

War Room Troll
Midboss I guess:

b74c90n05vg81.jpg

23d1ypo05vg81.jpg

Final boss I guess:

hpys8lf05vg81.jpg

faujz1l05vg81.jpg

Or, maybe just the contrary, huh?

More crappy bosses. We want the older one's back.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Sir, you speak truth. Clear and loud. ALAS, I was at SNK back in 2008, they were about to release KOFXII (arcade). I spoke in person with both the ga,e planner and the main artist (Nona, my fav). They officially touted that year KOF as a "dream-match", and I ruthlessly cut thier faces with remarks such as "uh-uh, hence Iori with no flames, yeah sure". They eventually admitted investing in that kind of graphics was killing them, and all their competitors called them "crazy". Yet, the then-chief-of-sales Mr. Koyama was very proud, saying "it's only us who can create such a game". He was right. When the completed game, and that's KOFXIII of course, finally came out I can't remeber how many years later, I was almost reduced to tears. I mean, just looking as the very attract mode, the very fist cut of it: the spinning letter, the invitation ending with an R(ose), the dedication to the glorious past of the franchise. It still kills me that game could not have playable Adel, and the could not even use ALL THAT INSANE WORKLOAD to properly start the new saga with a 2D KOFXIV. Alas again, we know classic KOF were basically minor updates since KOF96 to say the least, since that was the very single big overhaul in a series. Major revamps also occurred in 99 and 2003 but hey, we know the story, NEO·GEO glory. So it's still unbelievable to me they seriously trashed KOFXIII gargantuan pixel art bliss just after a reiteration. With minor updates they could have run for much more. Fuck DLC characters. SFII'CE was a "new game" with not single brand-new sprite, and that was in the very heyday of the 2D fighter thing. So what? They gave out almost for three Billy Kane, classic variant of Iori and Kyo plus the playable boss with DLC? Just creating KOFXIV with some new backdrops and musics, adding maybe playable Adel, switching Hwa-Jay with Billy (Southtown Rivals), switching some other characters here and there and maybe adding just a couple more they could have at least had a proper "dream match" following Ash Saga, as tradition was claiming. :-(
While I share your love for XIII and KOF's past in general, I'm sure you don't believe that mainstream players would be taking KOF seriously now if XV were still using that same 2D engine. They tried. XIII was excellent, and it flopped, unfortunately. Things change. Might as well embrace XV for what it is.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Of course you speak the simple language of reality. 3D KOFs are not my thing, but that's me, and I'm OK with that. It's still a sad shame they spent that amount of effort for something that eventually lasted such short a time span, but what can we do. To me, KOFXIII has been like an exquisite yet sad swan song dedicated to an entire gaming era. The one I lived and loved, that is.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I agree the new boss is neat. One may say they're really pushing with the god-like entity and stuff, but hey... it's pretty clear ReVerse : OrochiLeona = Isla : Leona, and the new goddess is a bit like Orochi, huh? If you just think about it, you will spot in this "year" KoF a TV-event like vibe pretty much like '97, will you not? :-)

Last edited:

geladobom

War Room Troll
Boss is neat. Really cool design. Fantastic theme music. They fixed her AI up a bit so she's not just a pushover now.

As per usual, your opinions are crap.
Yours too, i preffer to get back krizalid, rugal or orochi.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Boss is neat. Really cool design. Fantastic theme music. They fixed her AI up a bit so she's not just a pushover now.

As per usual, your opinions are crap.
So you can't empty jump to bait out her counter, then trip and repeat?

That was my way to cheese her. Shit... gotta play her today.