The King Of Fighters XV (2020)

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
TGS stream for KOF 15 tomorrow. Will give out additional info about the game, and also feature a playable build with 8 characters. Next character trailer will be Tryhard Street Clothes Girl that doesn't like Headphones Tryhard.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I kinda dig her now that I've seen her trailer. Still a try-hard design, but it reminds me a lot of early 90s street punk. Way less douchey than oversized headphones and a cape.

K's trailer also dropped. Looking great.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
(Tah Rot)

I'm in 2 minds about this game
On the one hand I think it looks shit
On the other I think it looks like absolute trash.

The new girl fighter is a hard pass.
Splatoon inspired shiny plasticky nonsense.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
(Tah Rot)

I'm in 2 minds about this game
On the one hand I think it looks shit
On the other I think it looks like absolute trash.

The new girl fighter is a hard pass.
Splatoon inspired shiny plasticky nonsense.
YOU'RE ALIVE

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Combos:

Compilation of experiement videos from twitter:

- Shatter Strike can be done mid-combos to extend them, and it heavily scales down damage

- Max Mode has a brief pause upon activation, but there is no longer auto dash (not sure about the later part)

- All normals can retain juggle priority against counter jump attacks

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
- Back dash is invulnerable to low attacks (including sweeps), but puts you in juggle state if you otherwise got hit during it

- EX moves cost half a bar

- Max mode costs 2 bars (both blue and red versions)

- Raw Max Mode activation (blue): damage boost + guard break damage boost. Depletes over time + by using EX moves / supers (which now partially deplete the guage instead of fully consuming it).

- Max mode activation mid combos (red): combo extention only with no damage / guard break bonus. Lasts about half of the raw (blue) max mode gauge duration.

All the above is from observing videos and reading user posts, so I'm not 100% sure. From what little I've seen, the flow is now closer to the older KOF's with imphases on neutral play and shorter combos. I just hope that remains the case when people get to explore the game more.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Fucking hell the "dramatic" camera angles on the super moves in the TGS footage is terrible. So awkward, just leave the camera in a traditional flat wide shot and do a snap zoom, not this dutch angle Evil Dead shit.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Next up is Heidern. Trailer up tonight.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Is it just me, or Isla has been designed to be some kind of Shun'ei (new arc starring) nemesis - yet already doomed to become a new partner, just like Kula (anti-K') in KOF2000?

Fygee

20 Year Member
Not sure if he's wearing the most skin tight spandex ever, or he just has a full body tattoo that looks like clothes.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
This is how old I am: I was able to get kof 94 back in 1994. Heidern was my favourite character.
I wish they had given him that same tone as back then. He just looks weird here. What's going on with his face?

Also, bring back a little blood in fighting games. It seems like a minor aspect to it all and it is. But to me it makes it more authentic.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Still HnK "Colonel":

Colonel.jpg

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
During this year's Tokyo Game Show Famitsu interviewed SNK: I have read the one with the internal members and the other with Masami Obari, who created the animated introduction for this chapter.

Not if someone has already localized these interviews in English, but this that I will publish is a automatic translation: keep in mind that coming from a machine in continuous experimentation it will present errors or phrases not exactly perfect (in the original site you can also find the images).

Last edited:

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Interview with the creators of "KOF XV". An interview with the creators of "KOF XV", asking about their thoughts on the latest title, which will be the culmination of the series in terms of quality and volume.

An interview with the three creators behind the upcoming fighting game "THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV", scheduled for release on February 17, 2022.

Release Date:2021-10-13 12:55:00

The Tokyo Game Show 2021 was held from September 30 to October 3, 2021, at Makuhari Messe, and the SNK booth at the show attracted a lot of attention with the first playable KOF XV game on display. During the show, we were also able to interview the SNK development team working on KOF XV.

This article features interviews with Yasuyuki Oda (Chief Producer), Eishuke Ogura (Creative Director), and Kaito Kukan (Game Director), all of whom were key players in the development of KOF XV.

The interview is full of information that can only be seen here, such as the concept behind the development of this title, so it is a must-see for all fans.

Chief Producer Yasuyuki Oda (on the left). Game Director Kaito Soranaka (right). Creative Director EISUKE OGURA joined us remotely.

--What is the current status of the development of "KOFXV"?

Oda: The main game is almost finished, and we are currently focusing on the online battles.

--One of the appealing features of the online game is that it adopts a rollback system.

We've been receiving a lot of requests from fans, especially from overseas fans, for a long time, asking us to implement online battles with a rollback system in this game. Also, due to the Corona disaster, online tournaments have become the mainstream. So we decided to use the rollback method because we need to make the online battle environment more comfortable than ever before.

--It's true that, considering the current situation, it's essential to improve the online environment. Next, what was the concept behind the development of this title?

Soranaka: We put a lot of emphasis on developing the game so that the "KOF" style would not be compromised. Also, since this title continues the storyline of the previous title, one of our aims or concepts was to make it possible for those who played the previous title to play this title without changing their skills and know-how.

--I feel that the graphics have been brushed up quite a bit since the last game.

Ogura: First of all, the expression and processing of light is much more powerful, so the shadows and expressions are much more beautiful than in the previous game. Also, the character models were not used directly from the previous game, but were adjusted individually. Making the graphics more beautiful is a battle against the processing load, but I think we were able to express the charm of the characters while maintaining a good balance.

--Every time a character appearance movie is released, it attracts a lot of attention.

Oda: We've received responses from all over the world, but compared to the previous game and "Samurai Spirits", I have the impression that there are more responses from Japan. We've also received responses from countries in South America, so we're really feeling everyone's expectations.

Soranaka: Judging by the response, I think it was the right decision to bring back the Orochi team. There are many people who became interested in the KOF series through this game, and I'm hoping that a new audience will be able to play it.

--What do you think is the reason for this?

Soranaka: There was a KOF app game for women that was released, and it seems that a lot of people became interested in the series from that. In addition, we are also developing the series through manga and other media, and there are many people who got to know "KOF" from outside the game.

--If more people can play the game, it will be more exciting for the game.

Soranaka: I'd be happy if that were the case.

--In terms of the system, there is a new system called "Shutter Strike", and there are also detailed changes to the existing system, so even though it's based on the previous game, it seems to have been revamped quite a bit. There are also detailed changes to existing systems. What is the reason for this?

Ogura: We wanted the game to be a smooth transition from the previous game, so we based it on the previous game, but if it was exactly the same as the previous game, even if we changed the characters, it would probably end up being the same as the previous game. Therefore, I thought a new system was necessary.

Soranaka: In the previous game, maxed-out (quick) attacks were the norm, so we added shutter strikes and made it possible to use EX special moves in normal mode, so that there would be a wider range of ways to use the gauge.

--So we've added shutter strikes and EX special moves that can also be used in normal mode, so that there's more room for gauge usage. Is it safe to assume that this is a system for beginners?

Soranaka: Even if you use the same amount of power gauge, I think you will do more damage by creating your own combos than by using Rush. Also, as you become more advanced, you'll focus more on the efficiency of your combos and how good they feel, so I don't think they'll be necessary anymore. However, it's not a system for beginners only, so I hope you'll use it when you want to hit a combo into an opponent's gap.

Ogura: As in past titles, if you form a team with certain members, you'll be able to see a special story. To do this, you'll probably need to include characters you don't use very often in your team, so I'm sure you'll be able to use them in such cases.

Soranaka Also, when lecturing beginners, being able to say, "Just start by hitting the buttons" is a big help.

--It's true that Rush is the best way for players to learn how it feels to control the game. Next, could you tell us about Isura, who was revealed at the Tokyo Game Show?

Ogura: Like Shunei, Isura is a character that fights using illusions. During a tournament in the previous game, she found Shun Ei, who has similar abilities to hers, and she sees him as a one-sided rival. His fighting style is completely different from Shunei's, so please try playing the game for yourself.

--When I played the game, I felt that the regular moves were quite strong.

Soranaka: While there are some tricky parts, the strong punches and blow-up attacks are quite strong. These moves had a very short reach when they were first developed, but we wanted to make them easy for beginners to use, so we increased their reach a lot.

Ogura: We're very happy with the response to the movie introducing Isura's participation in the game. We will continue to develop movies for the remaining characters, so please look forward to them.

--There are many more characters that have yet to be revealed, but can you give us some hints as to which characters will be added in the future?

Oda: I can't say specifically about this character, but I think it will be a surprise for two more times. Maybe (laughs).

--I'm sure you'll be pleased with whoever joins the game, but among them, there will be two more characters that will surprise you.

Oda: You can think of it that way. I don't want to raise the bar too high myself.

--Incidentally, Antonov, the organizer of the previous "The King of Fighters" tournament, is treated as a single player in this title.

Oda: This time, the tournament is organized by a different organization than Antonov. This is yet to be revealed, so please wait for the release.

--As a side note, Antonov is also a very tough character, isn't he? He lost his position after the last game, but he immediately started up a fighting organization.

Oda: His character is a combination of all the images I've seen of a business owner. That's why he's very tough (laughs).

(laughs) -- (laughs). Last but not least, please give a message to the fans who are eagerly awaiting the release of this title.

Soranaka: While the system has been retained from the previous title, it has been upgraded tremendously. Whether you're an old-school KOF fan, a newcomer to the series, or just starting out, I'm sure you'll enjoy this title, so please give it a try.

Ogura: In the past, characters that could no longer appear in the storyline can now be resurrected to participate in the game, depending on the storyline of the previous game. So, please look forward to seeing more of the characters that you have requested.

One thing we want to emphasize is that you can use the DJ Station to listen to music from SNK's past titles and play them in battle. I think this is a great feature for people who have played SNK games in the past, so I hope people will pay attention to it.

Last edited:

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Oda: When I first told the development team that I wanted to include a DJ station, they said, "What?

--(laughs). Who told you that?

Oda: Various people, in various ways (laughs). The sound team, in particular, wants people to listen to the new songs they've written, so while I think it's a good thing, I think they have a dilemma.

Soranaka: In the previous game, we included a large number of illustrations from the past series in the gallery, and in this game, we decided to include a large amount of music. So I'm now thinking about what I should do if there is a next work .......

--Finally, do you have a message for us from Mr. Oda?

Oda: The system, visuals, and sound of this game have all been improved from the previous game. I think it will be easy to play for KOF fans as well as fans of other fighting games, so I hope you will choose it as your main fighting game next year. I hope you'll wait just a little longer for its release.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV special site > TGS2021> Interview with the creators of KOF XV. An interview with the creators of "KOF XV" about their thoughts on the latest title, which is the culmination of the series in terms of quality and volume.

Last edited:

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Interview with Masami Ohbari, the creator of the special movie for KOF XV. What are the highlights of the super high quality video?

An interview with Masami Ohbari, animation director of the special movie for the upcoming fighting game "THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV", scheduled for release on February 17, 2022.

Release Date:2021-10-14 13:00:00

The fighting game "THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV" is scheduled to be released on February 17, 2022, and will include a special movie created by animation director Masami Ohbari in the game.

Masami Ohbari is a legend among fans, having worked on the animation series for "The Legend of Hungry Wolf" in the past. It is still fresh in our minds that the news that he would be working on the movie for this title caused quite a stir when it was announced.

This article features an interview with Mr. Ohari about the special movie he created. In the interview, Mr. Masami Ohbari says, "It's the highest quality I've ever made. The movie has not been released yet, but we hope you can get a sense of Mr. Ohari's enthusiasm in this interview.

President of animation studio G-1NEO. He is active in a wide range of fields, not only as an animation director but also as a robot character designer. His representative works include the "Gundam Breaker Battrogue" series, "Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans", and the anime "Super Robot Wars OG".

Mr. Ohbari's special movie†, which he considers the best ever.

--Mr. Ohari is the creator of the special movie that will be included in the game, can you tell us how you felt when you were approached?

Ohari: When I first heard about this project, I thought, "It's finally here. I was in charge of directing, storyboarding, and supervising the animation for this special movie, and I put my heart and soul into making it!

--When I tweeted on Twitter that you were going to make a movie for the film, it became quite a hot topic, didn't it?

Ohari: That's right. I was surprised when I instantly gained about 700 followers from overseas fans. It made me realize that "KOF" is a title that is loved all over the world.

--You've also played KOF XV, which includes a special movie.

Ohari: Compared to the previous game, the effects have been brushed up a lot and are beautifully drawn. Kyo Kusanagi's flames and Shun-ei's phantom hands are also very elaborate, so it was quite difficult to find a way to express them in the special movie. Also, in terms of the game system, the commands and combos are very easy to determine and fun. I can see that you are trying to attract a new audience.

--I understand that you have played a lot of the KOF series.

Ohari: I was shocked when "KOF '94" was first released. The system was original, and the effects were even cooler! I think it was a revolution, an invention.

--Can you tell us about your favorite characters from the KOF series?

Ohari: I like the members of the Hungry Wolf Legend team and the Fist of the Dragon and Tiger team, but I really like K'. He's a pretty easy character to use, and he's also pretty cool. Then there's Shelmy. I like the fact that she uses wrestling techniques even though she looks so cute. I also like Ash Crimson. Please look forward to ...... to see if they will appear in the movie.

--I'm also curious about the characters in the movie.

Ohari: SNK gave me a priority list of characters to include, but I decided on my own while adhering to that list. The movie was made in sync with the music, giving it a sense of speed and making it very pleasant to watch.

--Speaking of director Ohbari, he has also produced animated films for SNK in the past, so I'm sure there was some nostalgia there.

Ohari: The animation for the "Legend of Hungry Wolf" series, right? I made the first game in that series when I was about 25 years old, and 27 years have passed since then. That's how long it's been since I made the movie, and I wanted to show the evolution of myself.

--What are the highlights of the super quality video?

Ohari: I've been sharpening my blade just for this moment.

--You must be very enthusiastic.

Ohari: I put a lot of effort into designing the characters this time, to the point where I had to build a sketch from the bones up. The movie hasn't been released yet, but if you watch it, you'll see that we put a lot of effort into it. The same goes for the muscles, the wrinkles on the clothes, and the touches on the faces. Back in the days of "The Legend of GARO," we used celluloid animation, but now we're moving to digital animation, and I think the images look pretty good digitally.

--So you were able to put a lot of work into it.

Ohari: We incorporated things that we wouldn't have done in normal animation. It's theatrical quality, or maybe it's even more elaborate than that. For example, for Isla, the illusion of her hands and the design of the cap she wears are key points, but we didn't leave any of that out. The development team of "KOFXV" gave us the textures for those key parts, and we pasted them in at different angles.

--That's a lot of work, isn't it?

Oohari: The fact that it was a short movie made it possible for us to create something so intricate. For the background art, we asked Mr. Takeda from the animation studio Bamboo, who was the art director for the animation of "The Legend of GARO". Mr. Takatani, who did the original drawings, was also involved in the animation of "The Legend of Hungry Wolf 2".

--So many staff members from the "Legend of the Hungry Wolf" series that you created in the past are participating in this project?

Ohari: In addition to that, at the time when there were rumors in the industry that I was going to make an animation for "KOF", there were also people who were selling themselves as "Let me participate! There were also a few people who were willing to sell themselves to me.

--What is the highlight of the super quality video?

Ohari: There are a lot of people in the animation industry who say they are fans of SNK and "KOF" itself.

--So many people with that much enthusiasm worked together to make the movie.

Ohari: I've worked on many films directed by other directors, but this one really holds a strong place in my heart. I worked on it as if I were pouring my heart and soul into it. So when it was completed, I felt as if my soul had been drained. "It was like, "This year is over. The work is not over at all, though (laughs).

(laughs) -- You must have put a lot of enthusiasm into this work.

Ohari: The characters who get beaten up are also very elaborate. Even the characters who are beaten up and only appear in one shot are well designed. The animation between the original drawings is sometimes ordered overseas for recent TV series, but for this work, everything was done in Japan after thorough checks. I believe that no matter where you stop the movie, the characters and their expressions will look cool.

--I can't wait to see the special movie that Mr. Ohbari has put his heart and soul into. If "KOF" continues with "XVI" and "XVII" in the future, wouldn't it make fans happy if the special movies created by Mr. Ohari become a regular event?

Ohari: That's right. I'd also be happy if the movie we made this time could be the catalyst for a TV animation.

--Finally, do you have a message for the fans who are waiting for the movie?

Ohari: I'm honored to have been chosen by SNK to make a special movie for their official project. It's a great honor for me as a director, and I'm also very happy as a painter. The theme of this project is "to surpass all my past work. I hope you'll watch the special movie to see if I've achieved that.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV special site > TGS2021> Interview with Masami Ohbari, creator of the KOF XV special movie. What are the highlights of the super high quality video?

Last edited: