The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
The city i work for announced yesterday that all city employees must be vaccinated and provide proof. This has many coworkers upset threatening to quit, retire, etc. Go for it. Get the hell out of my way so i can maybe get a promotion finally.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The city i work for announced yesterday that all city employees must be vaccinated and provide proof. This has many coworkers upset threatening to quit, retire, etc. Go for it. Get the hell out of my way so i can maybe get a promotion finally.
:buttrock:

Too bad they're all hat and no cowboy. Just like the cocksuckers who say they'll move if X is voted president. No one does that shit.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm really curious about the legality of that. Forcing an employee to take a specific vaccination doesn't seem like it would be legal.

I can possibly see it for very specific jobs in healthcare, but that should be a more broad thing, requiring them to be up to date vaccinated at all times.

There's a fella I know from another forum that is a software engineer, his employer gave him a 3-day ultimatum then fired him. I'm curious to see where that one goes.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm really curious about the legality of that. Forcing an employee to take a specific vaccination doesn't seem like it would be legal.

I can possibly see it for very specific jobs in healthcare, but that should be a more broad thing, requiring them to be up to date vaccinated at all times.

There's a fella I know from another forum that is a software engineer, his employer gave him a 3-day ultimatum then fired him. I'm curious to see where that one goes.
The government itself can mandate vaccines under the reasonableness test, whereby the govt can pass laws that restrict your rights, and punish you for violating those rights, if the courts find the law a reasonable means for achieving that public good.

Supreme Court precedence may be ignored under the current imbalance as we saw with the case of the Archdiocese of Brooklyn v Cuomo, where Gorsuch argued that the previous precedent of Jacobson, which I mentioned above, where he could merely say everything was entirely different (it wasn’t, but Trump appointed him, so you can imagine he’s just a loaded pistol).

I will add that general welfare is a state’s rights issue. States have to police that. The federal govt can compel them to do these things, but it usually requires a carrot and not a stick. Or a stick disguised as an exclusive carrot to those who comply.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The government itself can mandate vaccines under the reasonableness test, whereby the govt can pass laws that restrict your rights, and punish you for violating those rights, if the courts find the law a reasonable means for achieving that public good.

Supreme Court precedence may be ignored under the current imbalance as we saw with the case of the Archdiocese of Brooklyn v Cuomo, where Gorsuch argued that the previous precedent of Jacobson, which I mentioned above, where he could merely say everything was entirely different (it wasn’t, but Trump appointed him, so you can imagine he’s just a loaded pistol).

So, if I'm reading that correctly, that would only apply to the government, correct? Going out to Boston last week, all airports still had very strick mask requirements as did gov funded mass transportation in/out of the city.

...but for privately owned businesses? Is it legal for someone to be terminated, from a private business, for not getting the COVID vaccine? I get the law where it states someone can quit a job for literally any reason they see fit, but I also know there are situations where it is unlawful to terminate people under certain conditions.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Is it legal for someone to be terminated, from a private business, for not getting the COVID vaccine? I get the law where it states someone can quit a job for literally any reason they see fit, but I also know there are situations where it is unlawful to terminate people under certain conditions.

Depends on the state.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Not even just at-will. There's so many vectors to justify the termination.

Employers can terminate you for refusing to be vaccinated, or failing to provide proof. Superior to someone's privacy is the employer's obligation to provide a safe work environment for employees. So long as the virus is accepted by the government as real, the employee will have a very steep uphill battle to prove that the requirement was unnecessary.

Further, it would be a legal problem if the employer mandates vaccination for some employees but not all.

Moreover, there's likely language in the employment contract that would further bind the contractor to avoid any action (or inaction) that would reasonably risk damage to the company. Check the termination, duties, and indemnity sections, off the top of my head.

Either way, if the guy does software, he won't be out of work long.

Worst thing he can do is brand his own ass by filing a lawsuit where the public record will forever know him as an antivaxxer.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You guys wanna hear some crazy shit.

After eight months of no infections, a guy on a flight caught covid and went back to his home here in Beijing.

I work part-time there at that community and usually just slip in.

Worked there Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday morning was told not to come, it's locked down. The entire community is locked down Wuhan-style. No one gets in or out for 21 days.

Here's the thing. I never scanned my contact tracing to get in, nor did I report myself. Currently at home but still go out a lot.

I've got the Chinese vaccine, but man. Paranoid af right now. Even this post might come and bite me in the ass if I'm being monitored.

Still can't get over the chances. A city with 20+ million people. So many places, so many communities. And the one guy, THE single guy to bring covid back...lives where I worked part-time. What are the chances.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You guys wanna hear some crazy shit.

After eight months of no infections, a guy on a flight caught covid and went back to his home here in Beijing.

I work part-time there at that community and usually just slip in.

Worked there Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday morning was told not to come, it's locked down. The entire community is locked down Wuhan-style. No one gets in or out for 21 days.

Here's the thing. I never scanned my contact tracing to get in, nor did I report myself. Currently at home but still go out a lot.

I've got the Chinese vaccine, but man. Paranoid af right now. Even this post might come and bite me in the ass if I'm being monitored.

Still can't get over the chances. A city with 20+ million people. So many places, so many communities. And the one guy, THE single guy to bring covid back...lives where I worked part-time. What are the chances.
I hope that patient 0 is ok.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hahahahahahahaha, sure sure.
lithy quit being a fucking retard.

The CCP and underreporting, name a more iconic duo. I agree with you there. Underreporting or overreporting, whatever.

But it's a war against coronavirus here. Only a few dozen people have to be infected before a city is locked down. This is the one thing the CCP doesn't fuck with. Hell, someone high in the ranks of the party just got sacked because there was one infection in her city of millions of people.

How difficult is it to understand that by converting people's communities into prisons by not letting them out, and thus starving the virus out, is a brutal but effective tactic? This is why covid hasn't been a thing for a while now.

How can you explain that for most people around China it's been normal not to wear masks for over a year now? It's different for me since I live in the capital, but I've heard from people all around the country that life has been back to normal for over a year now for them.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
We just entered our 6th hard lockdown, 5km limit for a week but looking like another week past that for 10 cases. The reaction here is overblown by a large margin considering global reactions. Luckily I have not stopped work as many businesses ignore it or at least the communications work I do works best when everyone isn't using it.

The federal government has set an 80% vaccination rate as the minimum before lockdowns are unlawful but with such huge resistance to the astrazeneca vaccine and delays in the Pfizer reaching our shores in sufficient supply this may take a very long time.

It's been nearly 2 years of being trapped not only by international borders which I loved frequently breaching but also state borders. I am sick of it...

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It isn't hard either, just get a small square piece of white paper and walk right in.

No one cares, they just want to look good.

Oh please. A festival is a completely different situation than a club. And this trend is just starting. Of course it's going to be messy at first and there isn't going to be an established, vetted way of proving your vaccination status.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
lithy quit being a fucking retard.

The CCP and underreporting, name a more iconic duo. I agree with you there. Underreporting or overreporting, whatever.

But it's a war against coronavirus here. Only a few dozen people have to be infected before a city is locked down. This is the one thing the CCP doesn't fuck with. Hell, someone high in the ranks of the party just got sacked because there was one infection in her city of millions of people.

How difficult is it to understand that by converting people's communities into prisons by not letting them out, and thus starving the virus out, is a brutal but effective tactic? This is why covid hasn't been a thing for a while now.

How can you explain that for most people around China it's been normal not to wear masks for over a year now? It's different for me since I live in the capital, but I've heard from people all around the country that life has been back to normal for over a year now for them.

I don’t think it’s a matter of understanding. It’s a matter of whether or not (at least in America) we believe the government should have the power to do as such.

I don’t think any government should mandate vaccines or any medical treatment upon a person. I also think people should get vaccinated. Unfortunately in America we have people who don’t think the government should mandate a vaccine and in turn refuse to get it. Because Government Bad (it is, but Uncle Drunpf and Uncle Biden didn’t create the vaccine.) I’d probably take a govt vaccine anyway.

But ‘Sage, America has gone nuts. Or maybe we were always crazy and now people just DGAF about letting others know.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
lithy has multiple times come in this thread since last year basically saying, "China's lying, just you wait and see."

Dude, I fucking live here. No fucking shit I don't trust the CCP. But things aren't that black and white to see that the CCP will choose to lose hundreds of millions of dollars locking down cities to starve out the virus. Draconian, yes. Effective, yes.

I'm not some Commie shill, either. But call them out when they're doing despicable shit. I don't know a single Chinese here who looks at any other country and wishes they could be more like that due to the events of the past year. FFS, the way the Party handled this shit has only given it more provenance in the eyes of the people here. Many people have been living their normal lives for a long time now. No masks, no social distancing, etc. for a long time now.

Maybe lithy is jelly. I don't get it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Many people have been living their normal lives for a long time now. No masks, no social distancing, etc. for a long time now.

This here is the kicker, and I've long said this. American politicians are complete idiots and are master level at fucking up even the most simplistic levels of government.

Here in the US, there is no putting pandora back in the box, not with this one. This COVID (or whatever variant, or whatever next virus will take its place) horse shit will never die here, nor will these on again/off again mandates, lockdowns, or restrictions ever stop.

Daily life here in the US is fear mongering...its pumped into us by the media and our politicians 24/7...this is just another in a long line of this crap.

Just like the US post 9-11, we're never going to go back to "normal" with this virus shit. This garbage is here to stay.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
lithy has multiple times come in this thread since last year basically saying, "China's lying, just you wait and see."

Dude, I fucking live here. No fucking shit I don't trust the CCP. But things aren't that black and white to see that the CCP will choose to lose hundreds of millions of dollars locking down cities to starve out the virus. Draconian, yes. Effective, yes.

I'm not some Commie shill, either. But call them out when they're doing despicable shit. I don't know a single Chinese here who looks at any other country and wishes they could be more like that due to the events of the past year. FFS, the way the Party handled this shit has only given it more provenance in the eyes of the people here. Many people have been living their normal lives for a long time now. No masks, no social distancing, etc. for a long time now.

Maybe lithy is jelly. I don't get it.

Covid is a case study in the risks and benefits of totalitarian rule. On one hand, the powers that be were slow to act because they were too busy protecting the cult of leadership. But then when they got thier heads out of thier ass and confronted it full on draconian, they shut the virus down in the country.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
ily life here in the US is fear mongering...its pumped into us by the media and our politicians 24/7...this is just another in a long line of this crap.

That's why Americans have so many guns.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Can you blame them? There's a reason why so many became first time gun owners in 2020...
Many of them black people.

Mission accomplished, NRA. Your corporate members made a killing

but seeing so many black people at the range getting trained was a good sign. They’re doing it the right way, learning safety and the law.