The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I know two epidemiologists who work at NIH and one lives next door to me. Totally different world.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Epidemiology is the study and analysis of the distribution (who, when, and where), patterns and determinants of health and disease conditions in defined populations. It is a cornerstone of public health, and shapes policy decisions and evidence-based practice by identifying risk factors for disease and targets for preventive healthcare. Epidemiologists help with study design, collection, and statistical analysis of data, amend interpretation and dissemination of results (including peer review and occasional systematic review). Epidemiology has helped develop methodology used in clinical research, public health studies, and, to a lesser extent, basic research in the biological sciences.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I was telling Americans to wear face masks around March 11 and got downvoted to hell with people telling me, "we need to save them for the medical workers," and "masks aren't effective against the virus you can still get sick." I ended up mailing mom a couple hundred face masks from here. Certainly there were multiple layers of failure at the American response but the federal level failed the hardest.

I totally understood it. People are hoarding everything, toilet paper, alcohol, hand soap and so on. There was and is an issue with HCP and PPE. Until just a few weeks ago I hadn't seen any masks for sale at stores with even dust masks sold out quickly with no resupply in sight. No use telling people to buy or use something they don't have or can't get.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-Predictions&p=4414823&highlight=#post4414823 My post from April 1st, (not a prank) were I paraphrase CDC guidelines:

Current CDC guidance that not everybody wear a mask while in public is because there are not enough masks to go around, especially for caregivers. ( They said so much at today's and previous days briefings if you read between the lines) once more masks are available it will revise the decision and is currently evaluating it.

Yes wearing a piece of cloth like a bandana will be almost as effective as several face mask types. Maybe slightly less so than the procedural mask.

What is it most effective for is stopping droplets water born contaminates from the person wearing it to other people.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
We all got spanked. Everyone got spanked.

I remember thinking in early, mid-February, "no way America would get fucked, it's America, we'd find it out and then go team America."

Holy MAO was I wrong on that.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Interestingly Sweden has been getting more criticism even as they say that only about 6% of the population has antibodies, which at least on its face, makes little sense to me.

Yes, at that rates they won't see any sort of herd immunity benefit, but on the other hand, with much less restriction on schools and businesses, infections have not differed enormously from their neighbors.

Support is apparently falling, but I think support for ANY response has fallen. People are sick of this and with no end in sight, people are antsy to move on.

Worldwide death rate stands shy of a half a million still.

We really need Mr. Jimmer back, hope we don't need to be concerned for him, I know he has taken extended breaks before.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Interestingly Sweden has been getting more criticism even as they say that only about 6% of the population has antibodies, which at least on its face, makes little sense to me.

Yes, at that rates they won't see any sort of herd immunity benefit, but on the other hand, with much less restriction on schools and businesses, infections have not differed enormously from their neighbors.

Support is apparently falling, but I think support for ANY response has fallen. People are sick of this and with no end in sight, people are antsy to move on.

We really need Mr. Jimmer back, hope we don't need to be concerned for him, I know he has taken extended breaks before.

I think people are antsy to get out of them homes, especially parents of small kids. Every parent I know is ready to go back to the office, and just live there until their kids grow up and move out.

But Sweden's response was really heartless. It looked like the scientists in charge knew that people would die off at a higher clip, and let it happen because it seemed logical.

lithy

20 Year Member
I think people are antsy to get out of them homes, especially parents of small kids. Every parent I know is ready to go back to the office, and just live there until their kids grow up and move out.

But Sweden's response was really heartless. It looked like the scientists in charge knew that people would die off at a higher clip, and let it happen because it seemed logical.

Maybe that's the perspective I'm coming from, not sure, but it has been difficult because things are only now reopening for kids to do. Fortunately day care is open again so they can get some socializing.

As for Sweden, I think their logic is that people may die at a higher rate now, but that they will have lower mortality later, while their neighbors may have lower mortality now, but continued infections and the same or higher mortality later.

Whether that will prove true is probably years from being known, but what does heartlessness have to do with it? If that's what their science and scientists said, then wouldn't "and yet it moves" apply here? The science doesn't (shouldn't) care about feelings, that's the job of leadership to convey the message.

Maybe Sweden's approach was more politically influenced than it seems.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Maybe that's the perspective I'm coming from, not sure, but it has been difficult because things are only now reopening for kids to do. Fortunately day care is open again so they can get some socializing.

As for Sweden, I think their logic is that people may die at a higher rate now, but that they will have lower mortality later, while their neighbors may have lower mortality now, but continued infections and the same or higher mortality later.

Whether that will prove true is probably years from being known, but what does heartlessness have to do with it? If that's what their science and scientists said, then wouldn't "and yet it moves" apply here? The science doesn't (shouldn't) care about feelings, that's the job of leadership to convey the message.

Maybe Sweden's approach was more politically influenced than it seems.

It sounds like chemotherapy - you kill off the weak, and hope that the remaining part is stronger, but you don't tell the weak parts that you're going to kill them off. You just tell them everyone else is stupid.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't blame Fauci. The writing was on the wall by January, during which time I sent my sister in Hong Kong a box of masks and medical supplies; and you didn't even need to read between the lines. You either got the science of virus spreading or you didn't bother to read into it. A lot of people just didn't want someone else to be right, I guess.

As much as I don't like the fact that he lied, I can't say I blame him. The same idiots who were hoarding toilet paper would have grabbed all the masks and the healthcare workers who needed them the most wouldn't have them. As it was, they still didn't have nearly enough. Hell, it's almost July and I still have a hard time buying toilet paper and nitrile gloves and I still haven't found any rubbing alcohol.

And yeah, like you said anyone who was paying attention to what was happening in China way back in the beginning knew exactly how this was going to play out. People are pointing the finger that so and so said this at this point, so and so said this at that point, but anyone with a few brain cells to think for themselves knew exactly how this was going to play out in January, the only question was the exact timeline.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member

Deaths/ Deaths Per M/ Infections
Sweden 5122 507 58932
Norway 248 46 8751
Denmark 603 103 12561
Finland 327 59 7155

What do you mean?
There's roughly 6 to almost 10X as many infections
Worse is I think I read a few days ago everybody has travel and trade embargos against them right now.

NeoTeam546

Cheng's Errand Boy
20 Year Member
Remember what Bill gates said in his interview:

Paraphrased: "We can look at this as 'pandemic 1' and the things will we get in place from this will prepare us for a bioweapon or the future 'pandemic 2' "

lithy

20 Year Member
Deaths/ Deaths Per M/ Infections
Sweden 5122 507 58932
Norway 248 46 8751
Denmark 603 103 12561
Finland 327 59 7155

What do you mean?
There's roughly 6 to almost 10X as many infections
Worse is I think I read a few days ago everybody has travel and trade embargos against them right now.

Dammit lost a long reply.

Short version, Sweden is a bit more connected to the world economy, Denmark is insular, if it was America we might call them anti-immigrant.

Even still Denmark has half the population, so Sweden has 2-3x the case load. Is that significant for the difference in policy? Not sure, but there are certainly differences in cases and deaths and we could go down a rabbit hole of policy, reporting, testing, and demographics.

Of course your intent in posting the pure number is Pronto make them look horrible, I'll just say I disagree that they are so horrendously different given the far more liberal response to preventing disease spread.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Boxing legend Roberto "Manos de Piedra" ("Hands of Stone") Duran has been hospitalized with coronavirus.

The 69 year old retired with a record of 103 wins (70 by KO), 16 losses. He fought in five different decades (1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s) and won numerous world titles:
-WBA, WBC, The Ring, and lineal lightweight champion (undisputed as this was before the IBF/WBO)
-WBC, The Ring, and lineal welterweight champion
-WBA super welterweight champion
-WBC middleweight champion

Hope the champ gets well soon. If you want to see some epic fights look up any of the fights between the four kings (Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Hitman Tommy Hearns).

Last edited:

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I can shed some light onto the situation in Sweden.

The situation in Sweden is very different based on which region you look at. Stockholm has had the largest amount of infections, about 1/3 of the nation, and after that it's Gothenburg with 1/4. Malmö has had very few cases and its actually worse in Copenhagen. Given that those two cities are very interconnected its kind of ironic that Danes can tourism in Malmö if they want, but Swedes can not tourism in Denmark. However if you work or have close family in Denmark you are allowed to travel over the bridge.

I personally think its good that Swedes stay in Sweden, because when the spread kicks in for real in the neighboring countries, they can't blame Sweden.

Regarding antibodies. If you look at Stockholm a recent study shows that 1/6 have antibodies. When you spread that out on the whole population, and include places where there has been very limited spread, its of course going to be a lower ratio.

The strategy has never been to achieve herd immunity, even though some make it out that way. The strategy, which has been re-iterated daily, was for "older people" to be protected, in elderly homes, and for others by advising people to not visit your children/grandchildren, or protect themselves by isolation, this has failed to some extent due to different reasons.

It turns out though that many 70+ don't include themselves in the category of "older people" and quite a few have been on and about anyways.

It also turned out many of the the homes for the elderly were ill-prepared and there were trouble with acquiring protection equipment and education in the early stages. These deaths amount to about the half of the death toll. The bad state of preparation came as a bit of surprise to everyone, and there is an ongoing debate for reforms in the field.

On a personal level I just got my test results back which was negative. I'm waiting on the results for antibodies right now, which I hope will be positive.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Where are the infections showing up?

Is it just regionally or is it also focusing on classes?

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Where are the infections showing up?

Is it just regionally or is it also focusing on classes?

This site shows the geographical distribution of cases, https://c19.se/.

Early in the pandemic there were reports of more fatalities in segregated areas, but since then the spread has been across the whole population afaik. It has not been completely revealed why this happened, but the hypothesis is that it was harder for government information to penetrate in segregated areas and that people live more overcrowded and together over generations.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
By segregated areas do you mean the immigrant areas?

It would make sense I guess. Many of them have complete exclaves where they may not even need to learn Swedish.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
By segregated areas do you mean the immigrant areas?

It would make sense I guess. Many of them have complete exclaves where they may not even need to learn Swedish.

Yes, areas with large immigrant ratios. There is only one area which that is the example of though, so it's not something that has been happening across the board.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I know two epidemiologists who work at NIH and one lives next door to me. Totally different world.

I have been in research for close to 13 years (4 for basic science, the rest for cancer) in a tech and study coordinator capacity and the common sense was clear from the beginning to wear masks, but dear God the rest of the U.S. is, to put it mildly, pretty ignorant to common sense virology. My hospital is requiring us to mask up constantly and our research team is only allowed to come in once or twice a week for distancing and we're STILL not ready to get back to regular capacity here in DC. They're ingraining us to act like we have it already and to take as much precaution as possible when we come in.

And then I look back at Florida and fuck me....

Me and my coworkers aren't in direct communication with COVID patients but we do have kids with both cancer and covid and it's sad. This is not a joke fellas. Do what you can. I've just been fit tested for N95s in preparation for processing covid samples should the need arise, but again, no joke guys.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
So...Who's been invited to a 4th of July party so far?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I have been in research for close to 13 years (4 for basic science, the rest for cancer) in a tech and study coordinator capacity and the common sense was clear from the beginning to wear masks, but dear God the rest of the U.S. is, to put it mildly, pretty ignorant to common sense virology. My hospital is requiring us to mask up constantly and our research team is only allowed to come in once or twice a week for distancing and we're STILL not ready to get back to regular capacity here in DC. They're ingraining us to act like we have it already and to take as much precaution as possible when we come in.

And then I look back at Florida and fuck me....

Me and my coworkers aren't in direct communication with COVID patients but we do have kids with both cancer and covid and it's sad. This is not a joke fellas. Do what you can. I've just been fit tested for N95s in preparation for processing covid samples should the need arise, but again, no joke guys.

Where do you work?

lithy

20 Year Member
Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) will be ordering bars to close again and no alcohol sales for restaurant except for to-go orders.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
but dear God the rest of the U.S. is, to put it mildly, pretty ignorant to common sense virology. This is not a joke fellas. Do what you can. but again, no joke guys.

Saw this in my feed this morning, seems this guy thinks its a joke, then again about a 1/3 of his posts have been censored for being fake news. He hates the Zuck too, so why does he keep using Facebook? I just slightly dislike Zuckerberg but it's soooo convenient to be able to text, call or video almost anybody I'd want to in three clicks.

There's a darkside to it all too though now as I'm seeing a bunch of them post up ignorant racist type shit.

maskUntitled.png

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Saw this in my feed this morning, seems this guy thinks its a joke, then again about a 1/3 of his posts have been censored for being fake news. He hates the Zuck too, so why does he keep using Facebook? I just slightly dislike Zuckerberg but it's soooo convenient to be able to text, call or video almost anybody I'd want to in three clicks.

There's a darkside to it all too though now as I'm seeing a bunch of them post up ignorant racist type shit.

View attachment 57033

Oh Dear Lord....

I can't wait to see this man's testicles wilt when he says that shit to a child in my workplace. He can go fuck himself. He makes a mockery of everything my clinic team does WHILE this shit's going on. Mask the fuck up you conservative snowflakes or hope to god there's a fucking ventilator ready when you're gasping in the darkness....

Fuck me in the eye....