The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I just bought a 10 pack of 3M N95 masks with valves. Imma wear them in places where masks aren't required. I don't want not delta.

In places requiring masks (right now, just my work), I'm going to wear a regular EULA kn-95 mask.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Compared to two years ago?
-Yes

Compared to 10 years ago?
-No

I had suspicion the overall trend was still going down. Wondering how much of a bump the rate got due to 2020.

The law and order bootlickers have been screaming the sky is falling since last summer and acting like it’s the Crack Epidemic all over again.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I just bought a 10 pack of 3M N95 masks with valves. Imma wear them in places where masks aren't required. I don't want not delta.

In places requiring masks (right now, just my work), I'm going to wear a regular EULA kn-95 mask.

I’ll just stay home.

Which isn’t a change from my regular behavior :emb:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Because kids aren't at risk despite not being eligible for a vaccine.

Data please.

Everything I've heard all sounds the same, "It kinda seems like most kids have mild cases of the vid, but we're not super sure. Sports at 6."

Kids (at least mine) can't get vaccinated. I do not want them to get COVID. There is too many cases of kids (including asymptomatic ones) that show respiratory, nervous system and cardio system damage.

This is and has always been my primary concern through this whole thing. Saying that I'm frustrated about the situation for small children is the understatement of the century, so best to not even try.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I had suspicion the overall trend was still going down. Wondering how much of a bump the rate got due to 2020.

The law and order bootlickers have been screaming the sky is falling since last summer and acting like it’s the Crack Epidemic all over again.

Republicans in NYC are screaming about murders... But they are still below Giuliani (and most bloomberg) era levels.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Mask signs on store entrances are going back up in my area. Starbucks, for one.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Republicans in NYC are screaming about murders... But they are still below Giuliani (and most bloomberg) era levels.

My perception is NYC is a safe big city. I’d rather visit NYC than San Francisco or LA.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Data please.

Everything I've heard all sounds the same, "It kinda seems like most kids have mild cases of the vid, but we're not super sure. Sports at 6."

This is a simplified comparison but it should get the point across.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Kids (at least mine) can't get vaccinated. I do not want them to get COVID. There is too many cases of kids (including asymptomatic ones) that show respiratory, nervous system and cardio system damage.
I get your point, but we're into everyday life comparable risk levels now, especially for children.

I don't want my kids to break any bones but I'm not pulling them out of school sports.

I know it's such a used and abused comparison, and I don't know the numbers, but I would be incredibly surprised if the risk to your kids well being wasn't orders of magnitude higher every time they climb in a car.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I get your point, but we're into everyday life comparable risk levels now, especially for children.

I don't want my kids to break any bones but I'm not pulling them out of school sports.

I know it's such a used and abused comparison, and I don't know the numbers, but I would be incredibly surprised if the risk to your kids well being wasn't orders of magnitude higher every time they climb in a car.

I just want everybody to be vaccinated, and everybody to wear masks in public indoor places.

Because my kids can't get vaccinated.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I just want everybody to be vaccinated, and everybody to wear masks in public indoor places.

Because my kids can't get vaccinated.
This sounds rather selfish and unscientific.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
This sounds rather selfish and unscientific.
I am a very selfish person.

But I am following the science.

Hell, I'm going to start rocking valved N95 masks in places where masks are optional. Because fuck everybody else.

It is all game theory.

Sans mandatory masking, everybody else can get fucked.

Last edited:

lithy

20 Year Member
Masks back at day care next week. We only have one week left until we move anyway, thinking of withdrawing the kids early, I'll deal with them for the week instead.

lithy

20 Year Member
We're only at 20% here too. Sydney have been in lock down for 6 weeks.

If you live in Australia and nothing has killed you yet, I can see not being too worried about covid.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
If you live in Australia and nothing has killed you yet, I can see not being too worried about covid.
There is very much an attitude of "she'll be 'right, mate" over here.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Masks back at day care next week. We only have one week left until we move anyway, thinking of withdrawing the kids early, I'll deal with them for the week instead.
Are you moving to another state?

Seems a lot of people have picked up and moved south for political reasons.

lithy

20 Year Member
Are you moving to another state?

Seems a lot of people have picked up and moved south for political reasons.

No, just to an adjacent county, I switched jobs about 5 years ago and have been making a 25 mile commute each way that sucks. Between that and just outgrowing our 2 bed/1 bath house, we have been looking for the right place for a few years now and of course found it during this clusterfuck of supply and demand. At least our mortgage rate is low and I'll be a few miles from work.

I've thought about moving back south, but the next move if necessary will be for my wife's career, the last one brought us up here for mine. Other than a less than ideal tax burden, Pittsburgh has been alright for us, so no real complaints, at least up until the school problems last year.

The new school will be 5 day in person with masks optional as opposed to whatever the fuck is happening with Pittsburgh Public Schools. A few weeks away and they haven't released a final plan. Enrollment in PPS is down over 10%. People are pulling kids to send them to Parochial schools, Jewish Day Schools, and other private schools. Also some might have decided to move their kids to full cyber school if they still had significant concerns about being around others. The district has not just a transportation shortage, they might have an insurmountable shortage that is going to result in a delayed start time so buses can run longer or multiple routes.

We didn't completely force our move because of the school, but I am definitely glad we are getting out.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...I guess it will soon be "here we go again"...

My daughter, who happens to be vaccinated, was none too pleased when our super announced that they would be following Illinois and their recently announced mandatory masking in schools. As a matter of fact, her near exact response was "Well, I guess its a good that thing I'm fully fucking vaccinated!". The first time I've had her say that to me directly. Given the situation, I found it appropriate.

I know that I was getting very comfortable to not wearing the fucking things. Having to wear one all damn day while flying was a serious nuisance.

Now I wonder if this is going to lead to another round of lockdowns...I really hope not.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, the mask is annoying. You know what else is annoying? Being a teenager. Everything can be annoying when you don’t have a choice but to go to school. We have it a lot easier because we can just avoid going places where we need to wear a mask.

so I feel for the kids who have to do this. But it’s a problem with all the moving parts involved. Best situation is if kids can just stay home and remote into class.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Look over the pond at the uk. We're you in about 4 weeks I would guess, well vaccinated and balls deep in delta. Dare I say it's actually going ok.....?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think in America the pandemic fatigue has really been exacerbated by Political fatigue. Without the pandemic 2020 was already exhausting. The mixing up of politics and pandemic response made the whole thing exponentially worse.

I don’t think it’s an issue that people have different thoughts on how to deal with the pandemic. For me it’s the Twitter-tard (twats?) sloganeering, 24HR shock news, and how absolutely brain dead people’s responses and Facebook memes are. I feel like all media are just shock jocks today’s.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think pandemic fatigue was ending since the public perception was that things were getting better…but now it just looks like, even in CA, ending the mask mandates, etc was just appeasement.

I say we’ll be okay until we have a situation again when the hospitals are overflowing and those dying of Covid are impacting other, healthier people’s medical care needs.

Who knows. Maybe Covid is here to stay and we’ll be looking at a half million deaths annually.

In that case we’ll have to drop the lockdowns and maybe we’ll see winter mask wearing and annual flu shots.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Proof of vaccination to enter a business will be some kind of breaking point.

I don’t know that this is a step we want to take. Too strong of a “Papers, please” vibe to me.

Is such a thing even legal?