The Comic Book Thread

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
just read Prophet 1-3(this is the newer deal with other artists working with Rob L idea) and they are *ucking awsome!!!!!

yeah, I've heard good things about the relaunched Liefeld (pffft) comics, you might want to give Glory by Joe Keatinge and the brand new Supreme by Warren Ellis a try as well :)

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
Brooks also edited a book of gi Joe short stories.
Check out idw cobra civil war. Its like if HBO did a gi Joe series.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
I read Level Up by Gene Luen Yang... It wasn't bad but I think my friend set my expectations too high. Also the fact that the main character doesn't look particularly yellow bothers me.

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I read Level Up by Gene Luen Yang... It wasn't bad but I think my friend set my expectations too high. Also the fact that the main character doesn't look particularly yellow bothers me.

Check out his American Born Chinese, Boxers, Saints and Shadow Hero

Way better books imo( and the characters look like what you're looking for ) and Gene is a hella cool guy in person

Also am I the only one here reading the Big Trouble In Little China comic?

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
just read Prophet 1-3(this is the newer deal with other artists working with Rob L idea) and they are *ucking awsome!!!!!

I'm loving Prophet too, and it got me into Brandon Graham's other works. I would love to own some of his art.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Figured id toss this up on here after reading this article. June 1938, Action Comics #1 up for sale on Ebay they ONLY one graded at a 9.0 on the CGC scale. He flat out REFUSED 3 million up front. Crazy

It up to 2 millions now with 5 days left . Can't wait to see the final price.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
Check out his American Born Chinese, Boxers, Saints and Shadow Hero

Way better books imo( and the characters look like what you're looking for ) and Gene is a hella cool guy in person

Yeah I keep meaning to pick up American Born Chinese and just haven't got around to it yet. I also have Boxers and Saints but haven't read them/it yet. I hadn't even heard of Shadow Hero before but if I like B/S I'll be sure to give that a go. How'd you end up meeting him?

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Yeah I keep meaning to pick up American Born Chinese and just haven't got around to it yet. I also have Boxers and Saints but haven't read them/it yet. I hadn't even heard of Shadow Hero before but if I like B/S I'll be sure to give that a go. How'd you end up meeting him?

He did signings at two local bookstores near me, I know he's local but it's surprising that he does go to SDCC but not the con that is right at his door step

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Been on a Howard Chaykin kick lately, started with Dominic Fortune from Marvel Max, his AvX one shot for Marvel( again ) and now going through Black Kiss again with Black Kiss 2 and 9 issues of Satellite Sam waiting in the wings

Brubaker and Phillips new series "The Fade Out" is looking to be in my top new series, something about 1940's Hollywood noir really calls to me

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Just read the Somerset Holmes Graphic Novel. Always had the 4 PC issues, never got around to finishing the run (Eclipse did issues 5 & 6).

1) this book is AMAZEBALLS. My favorite noir by a landslide...because it isn't straight noir. Think noir+Bond.

2) whom ever had a hand in getting The Long Kiss Goodnight green lighted owes Bruce Jones & April Cambell some monies. TLKG stole from SH, straight up.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
i used to be a modest U.S. comic fan, -mostly SPIDER MAN and ARCHIE SONIC related-
in the mid/late 90's. had a tidy little collection of maybe 200+ issues of various material from a variety of labels.

just a few years ago, -early 2009 i think?- i hauled them all up to my most local comic/collectables shop,
not expecting much of a sell, if any at all. i was pleasantly surprised to find that the owner was willing to do a straight trade
for the DIAMOND SELECT STAR TREK ENTERPRISE 1701D i wanted, in addition to several anime figures.

these days it's all about Anime and Manga for me, curse my traitorous, Un-American black Communist heart...

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
I skipped the first issue of Multiversity cause while I like Grant Morrison's work I felt at the time I don't have time for his wordy you're gonna have to reread this a couple times to take it in but I bought the S.O.S. issue in thanks to Chris Sprouse on art and it's take on pulp heroes

2165117.jpg

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Been on a Howard Chaykin kick lately, started with Dominic Fortune from Marvel Max, his AvX one shot for Marvel( again ) and now going through Black Kiss again with Black Kiss 2 and 9 issues of Satellite Sam waiting in the wings
It's nice to see someone still appreciates Chaykin, after the ignorant mob turned on him a few years back.

Just read the Somerset Holmes Graphic Novel. Always had the 4 PC issues, never got around to finishing the run (Eclipse did issues 5 & 6)

Haha exact same thing happened to me. I have the first 4 issues, still haven't read them...

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
People turned on him? Was it because he's gone digital and I know some people don't like his new style or was it something he said? For me the guy makes some fun comics that on occasion has some sexual stuff, I had a chance to go meet him but it was at the same time I was gonna be out of town so I had a friend go in my place and get his "Art of" signed. I was told he's awesome in person and I really want to make up that missed opportunity

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Right now I'm reading Death Of Wolverine which so far is pretty damn good, Transformers VS GI Joe which is awesome, And the new Robocop which to my disappointment is terrible.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
People turned on him?

It was when he first started doing work for Marvel again, which I guess was somewhere around the lead-up to Civil War. There were an entire generation of ignorant kids who had never heard of Chaykin and immediately dogpiled on him. Or on anyone who tried to defend him. There was a lot of, "This guy sucks" and "He can't draw faces" and whatnot. It got pretty brutal. People who had no idea (or didn't care) who the man was or what he had accomplished in comics.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
It was when he first started doing work for Marvel again, which I guess was somewhere around the lead-up to Civil War. There were an entire generation of ignorant kids who had never heard of Chaykin and immediately dogpiled on him. Or on anyone who tried to defend him. There was a lot of, "This guy sucks" and "He can't draw faces" and whatnot. It got pretty brutal. People who had no idea (or didn't care) who the man was or what he had accomplished in comics.

Fuck them, their parents, their siblings and their pets

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Since I have Satellite Sam on my pull I got the "Tijuana Bible" that a select few shops got or something

I salute you Mr. Chaykin

Penciled threesomes

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I skipped the first issue of Multiversity cause while I like Grant Morrison's work I felt at the time I don't have time for his wordy you're gonna have to reread this a couple times to take it in but I bought the S.O.S. issue in thanks to Chris Sprouse on art and it's take on pulp heroes

2165117.jpg

Earlier this month Chris Sprouse was at a convention here in Cincinnati. He was at a small table near the corner of the convention. There wasn't much in the way of foot traffic around him which I found surprising. I've always been a fan of his art so I decided to take a look at some penciled pages that were sitting on the corner of the table. It turns out the pages I was perusing through were the ones for his issue of Multiversity. :eek:

I read the SOS issue on Sunday. It was good overall but I felt like it wasn't as "grand" or "epic" as I thought it might be. With Multiversity #1 I got a vibe about it similar to how I did with the original CoIE. I was expecting a similar vibe from this issue and didn't get that. Like I said, it was a good story and an entertaining read but I either missed or they didn't properly convey to me that it was two Earths battling each other. I wasn't sure if Vandal Savage and his cronies were from the counter Earth or not. Oh well, I imagine next issue with the Just will be more self contained with snippets to the overall story like this issue was.

I'm glad this topic got bumped back up, I got a new Perez sketch from the show last week I've been meaning to upload. :D

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Just read Grayson #1-2 and the Future's End issue of Grayson. Much better than I was expecting. I was as skeptical as anyone about the new premise, but I really enjoyed it. The Future's End issue was especially enjoyable. I haven't been reading the event in general, so I don't know what's been going on with it or even what it's about, but the Grayson issue was very good.