The best buttons disposition to play neogeo games with a 6 buttons layout?

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
You're going into a six button CP and are looking for a passable button allignment, right?
:B::C::D:
:A:(X)(X)?

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
:A::B::C:
:D:(X)(X) For me

But then i've never really played much with original neo hardware, always with self built sticks etc.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I prefer:

(X)(X):D:

But when using this setup it sometimes affects other games that use 6 buttons. Recently DreamTR discovered that on Vampire Savior you can't do Raging Demons with this setup. It's most likely due to Capcom's programming and leaving the 4th button active even though it isn't tied to any command.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
:A:(X)(X)

I had an old PC gamepad that I used this layout on. It made :A::B::C: in KOF98 so easy to do, and on the rare occasion you had to hit all four buttons, you could do so. It was awesome.

shiryu7

Quiz Detective
You're going into a six button CP and are looking for a passable button allignment, right?
:A:(X)(X)?

That is what my MAS Supernova pro sticks would default to with my Hyper64 hooked up. Always felt pretty natural to me.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

That is the correct way to do it... but I hate it. I hate having A and B on top of each other like that. They´re the most used buttons and I have to keep moving my hand too much up and down or using thumb to press A... I don´t like it. Worst thing is, if I move my hand down to press A with my forefinger, now that makes button C very hard to reach for a split second.

This is how I like it. Most games only use up to three buttons anyways and in those games this is the most ergonomic and nice way to play. Even the ones that do use D, use it rarely enough that making the required hand movement to access that button doesn´t become annoying.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
A bit off topic but does anyone else feel that 6 buttons was overkill for arcade games anyway. I mean its mostly for street fighter games but surely they coupd have got away with just light/heavy punches and kicks. Sometimes i think the 6 button thing was nothing more than a maketing gimmick, of course im not street fighter pro so i wouldnt mind being corrected by one if im wrong and you really need that many buttons for some tactical reason.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
A bit off topic but does anyone else feel that 6 buttons was overkill for arcade games anyway. I mean its mostly for street fighter games but surely they coupd have got away with just light/heavy punches and kicks. Sometimes i think the 6 button thing was nothing more than a maketing gimmick, of course im not street fighter pro so i wouldnt mind being corrected by one if im wrong and you really need that many buttons for some tactical reason.

In the first SF it was stupid, but two actually added depth by using the different buttons. Different recovery times make a huge difference.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I feel like 6 buttons is perfect for Street Fighter games and especially for MvC2/3, having dedicated assist buttons is really important. I find SF a lot more accessible than other engines like Virtua Fighter that have a million moves and only three buttons. I guess it's what you're used to at any rate. Also, I have no idea how anyone uses anything but

:A:

It's a compromise but it's the closest to the original layout. It's also the natural resting position I have all my fingers on when playing 6-button games anyways. Any other layout just doesn't make much sense to me when you consider the ergonomics of your hand.

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
If you are used to the 6 button layout and play a lot of fighters then you can match what KoF XII/XIII offered in the arcade

:A::C:(x)
:B::D:(x)

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
I feel like 6 buttons is perfect for Street Fighter games and especially for MvC2/3, having dedicated assist buttons is really important. I find SF a lot more accessible than other engines like Virtua Fighter that have a million moves and only three buttons. I guess it's what you're used to at any rate. Also, I have no idea how anyone uses anything but

It's a compromise but it's the closest to the original layout. It's also the natural resting position I have all my fingers on when playing 6-button games anyways. Any other layout just doesn't make much sense to me when you consider the ergonomics of your hand.

This. Trust me most arcades will use this layout for 4 button games too. I learned to play the first BlazBlue with another button style and I regretted it. This layout is very easy to get used to as well--I think it just has to do with the fact that you always have a finger on a button comfortably too, which makes it popular.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
If I didn't have multiple panels to swap out, then I'd spring for an extra button...
:A::B::C::D:
(x)(x)(x)

if that wasn't an option I'd do....
(x)(x):D:

this is mainly because if a game is going to use 4 buttons, most likely D is used less than A and B, so having it on the 2nd row isn't so bad..

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
:D:
that's how my cabs already wired and im too lazy to open the panel and change it to anything else

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member

Beavis_&_Butthead_-_Head_Banging.gif

Bacon Taffy

Banned
If I didn't have multiple panels to swap out, then I'd spring for an extra button...
(x)(x)(x)

Depending on the position of the buttons themselves on the stick, this may actually be more comfortable:

(X)(X)(X)

I guess it all depends on the angle of the buttons themselves, and general placement.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member

Hit the nail on the head bro definitely the best layout

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I feel the same way about 8 button arcade sticks.

As for layout. We can argue whats the most authentic way to express Neo Geo Layout using a 6 button control panel till we are all blue in the face.
If you are going for a controller for yourself, choose whatever ends up being the most comfortable for yourself.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Sorry for the necrobump, I wanted to share my experience as today I've switched from 3 buttons to 6 buttons on my Astro City.

First, I tried

A B C
D X X

As I didn't want to switch cables around if I'll ever get a Street Fighter game (and I will someday).

I hated it the moment I tried it and couldn't get used to it, no matter what.

I then tried out

A B X
C D X

and it was terrible as well, way worse than the first one I tried.

Then I remember how I used to play Marvel vs Capcom 3, which was

M S Sp
L A1 A2

and tried it out, so it was

:B: :C: :D:
:A: (X) (X)

This was waaaay better then the ones I tried before, but I still couldn't cope with having Punches and Kicks alternated in KoF.

So I thought to swap the buttons, but then it would be a mess with the other Neo Geo games.

Any other opinion on this?

I still have to try

:A: :B: :C:
(X) (X) :D:

but this feels a bit awkward to me.