The AES Cart Shell Glue on the Posts Thread

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Serious question (reasonable cum jokes only)

Question: Many AES carts were glued together on the posts inside of the cart shell, yes? I know SNK is known for inconsistent manufacturing practices, so this could be a case by case thing. This is a thing, though, yes? It's something I've come across for literal decades at this point.

Story:

I've been around these parts for a LONG time (back to the DHP mailing list days in the mid-late 90's). In my years, I've come across countless AES games where the cart shells were glued together at the posts inside of the cart.

Yesterday when I posted my loose, authentic copy of Ninja Master's on Ebay I did not display board pics because the cart was glued on the posts and I didn't want to risk damaging it by popping it. I got some high-end collector reach out to say he's an expert Neo-Geo collector who worked for SNK, and said they never glued their carts along with some other claims - like cartridge weight being a "trade secret" (when anyone with a kitchen scale can weight these games) - saying Ninja Master's only came on white PCBs when my copy and the copy scanned in on Arcade Collector are not, etc. Long story short, I pried the game open and posted board pics.

He purports that the game was opened to check authenticity then glued back together by somebody other than SNK. Why would anyone in their right mind glue the posts if there were none to begin with? Makes no sense. I have numerous carts that are glued on the posts, including old/extremely common games that have no need for an authenticity check like Fatal Fury 2.

Thoughts? Resources? Who is this guy? Am I missing something?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What I'm more interested in is the type of glue, was it regular super glue or epoxy? Might even be the coveted (notorious) 新しいペニスコンクリート branded adhesive.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Wtf has cart weight got to do with anything? There's no uniform weight to the carts... it'll depend on how many ROM chips are on the boards.

From what I remember Ninja Masters does not have white pcbs, it uses green ones. In fact, I'm fairly sure all ADK's games use green boards.

As for glue... I'm sure they used glue for the simple reason the carts aren't screwed together like their MVS counterparts or other homecarts of the time (MD, SNES). If they used some kind of snap mechanism to clip the carts together it'd be fairly straight forward to take them apart.

Bottom line... your guy is a fucking moron. Probably never worked for, or with, SNK either. Ebay is just full of dipshits and "clever" fuckers who think they know better than you, even though they don't know the first thing about you, or what you know.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
52382277287_3f77a5c988.jpg

My old, genuine, copy of Ninja Masters - green pcb's

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Thanks for the responses, guys. I *politely* told the guy to fuck off the other day - along with all the ways he was wrong. Found out he's some US only collector who think's he's shit because he got his Big Tymer gamez authenticated. :thevt: Prolly some Wata Games enthusiast.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
At this point if anyone claims to have worked for SNK I’d just stop talking to them, this goes times a million for gaijin.

I used to work for Lotus. That doesn’t mean I know every single thing about every thing Lotus did during my time there. Nobody does because Lotus, like SNK, is a sketchy company with poor consistency and also just too dang big to know. Like most people in companies I know a lot about what I worked on and pretty much fuck all about anything else. :)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
At this point if anyone claims to have worked for SNK I’d just stop talking to them, this goes times a million for gaijin.

I used to work for Lotus. That doesn’t mean I know every single thing about every thing Lotus did during my time there. Nobody does because Lotus, like SNK, is a sketchy company with poor consistency and also just too dang big to know. Like most people in companies I know a lot about what I worked on and pretty much fuck all about anything else. :)
So when did they release Lotus 1-2-3? Can you at least tell me that??

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I really want an nm

Would happily trade slug 3 or a couple carts for that or a kizuna JP

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
So when did they release Lotus 1-2-3? Can you at least tell me that??

At some point when I was in grade school, I think.

In the mid 2000s I had a girlfriend who was working at IBM. I was surprised to see they were using something called Lotus Notes to organize all their work. It had been many years since I had even heard the name but they were still trying to make it work even then because…well, they bought it…

I worked for Lotus Engineering which was spun off from Lotus cars UK.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Sounds like someone wanted to volunteer as a Ninja Master's AES Bootleg disposal center to me :)

"high-end collector", yuck.