The 64 - New Commodore 64 Desktop and Portable

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Not sure if this was posted anywhere already, but stumbled upon this last night and figured a few folks would be interested.

New Commodore 64 desktop and portable being created. The hand held is a big who cares, but the desktop has an original cartridge slot, SD slot, support for peripherals and will have both 6581 and 8580 SID chips!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-64-computer-and-handheld-console#/

$150 scores the desktop model. I'm down for one.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It's emulation with an arm cpu.

I question how compatible it will be.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
With the wide abundance of existing C64's and their ~$40 price point, the desktop model is pointless.

I am curious on the handheld though.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Also, I wouldn't back this project as they are using IndieGoGo and flexible funding.

For those that don't know, Indiegogo doesn't require a working prototype (which they don't have yet) and if using flexible funding (like they are using) even if the campaign doesn't reach it's goal, they get to keep the money and owe you nothing.

Fuck these guys.

You can accomplish the same thing with a $35 Raspberry Pi board.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Just buy an actual C64. This retro craze needs to die.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Just buy an actual C64. This retro craze needs to die.

Yup. Real C64 plus either 1541 Ultimate II or Chameleon 64 drive emulators and you are set. I have a 1541 U II. It's excellent.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yup. Real C64 plus either 1541 Ultimate II or Chameleon 64 drive emulators and you are set. I have a 1541 U II. It's excellent.

Guys! You're harshing my excitement with you criticism and logic. Knock it off. I'd love a little C64, but I'm more interested in the SID side of things. As long as the SIDs are real (though, I admit that's unlikely since they are getting harder to find these days), I'd be down just for that.

Meh.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Guys! You're harshing my excitement with you criticism and logic. Knock it off. I'd love a little C64, but I'm more interested in the SID side of things. As long as the SIDs are real (though, I admit that's unlikely since they are getting harder to find these days), I'd be down just for that.

Meh.

http://www.mssiah.com/features.php#sid2sid

Just get this and source an extra SID and components and you're set.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I feel old saying that the C64 was what I played in Jr. High and H.S. This is another mid-life crisis.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I feel old saying that the C64 was what I played in Jr. High and H.S. This is another mid-life crisis.

Don't, this is what I started playing in 4th grade all the way through 8 or 9th til I got an amiga 500 lol. Great times, makes me want to get another OG C64.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
When I saw the campaign for the portable a month or so ago, it seems they already had a fully working unit. In fact, I believe the highest tier mentioned that you'd get a production unit and the prototype. Pretty neat and slick looking unit I'll admit, but the desktop version is news to me. I believe it was something they were exploring but hadn't gotten things finalized yet at the time.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I wonder how they're sourcing their SID chips. I hope they're not sac'ing C64s.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Meh.

http://busycircuits.com/alm003/

You know you want it.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,

I love my 1541 U II. At first I got one of those SD card drives, but found it frustrating to use. If your looking for an all in one solution the Ultimate is definitely the way to go if you can afford it. Once you download Gamebase 64 you'll be set. If your even playing with the idea of getting one, get on the waiting list ASAP. They are only made in batches and sell out quickly.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Wow, that 1541 Ultimate II is pretty sweet. My parents have been on me to pick up my old shit from their garage, this will help if I want to fire up the C64 again. I remember making sandwiches while Pinball Construction Set loaded when I was a kid.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I wonder how they're sourcing their SID chips. I hope they're not sac'ing C64s.

I doubt they are sac'ing anything.

I am willing to bet this thing is 100% emulation. They don't explicit state that they are using real sid's.