The 161 in 1 - hope for a better multicart?

Satoshi_Matrix

n00b
10 Year Member
Since recently fixing up a broken AES, I've flung myself into the wild world of Neo-Geo home console gaming, an expensive hobby if there ever was one.

Of course, I know the smartest option for AES owners is to avoid AES collecting altogether and buy an adapter to run MVS carts. But looking around, I come to learn there's a 161 in 1 multicart for the AES, a conversion of the same 161 in 1 for the MVS that had been available for years prior. But looking into that, I can't help but be disappointed since it doesn't truly contain 161 different games but something like 96, with the rest being hacks. Still, the cart does cover the vast majority of the Neo-Geo library but lacks key titles like Baseball Stars Professional, Metal Slug 5, Twinkle Star Sprites and more.

So this leads me to wonder a few things.

Why is the multicart the way it is? They threw on friggin Legend of Success Joe, but not Nam 1975.

Why didn't they include the full Neo Geo library instead of wasting storage on hacks?

Is there any hope for a better multicart in the future, one that _does_ contain the whole library? Such a thing would make the hyper expensive Neo SD not needed.

Thanks and look forward to hearing your guys thoughts.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
It's a quick, dirty, and cheap way to get at least 96 unique games on one cart. SD solutions (Everdrives, etc.) for any console are expensive relative to that console's multi-game cart solutions in which the vast majority have questionable lineups of games, with most being hacks or homebrew crap.

Paying $300-$600 for a Neo SD or Darksoft cart is small potatoes compared to trying to get an AES or even an MVS collection - considering that one of those SD solutions costs significantly less than some of the best single AES games - and even some MVS games these days.

Count your blessings there is a cheaper option for multi-game carts on AES at all, I guess?

Satoshi_Matrix

n00b
10 Year Member
The main question I have is why the rom selection is the way it is. 161 isn't a common number for a multicart, it's usually like 150 in 1 or 200 in 1. An even number. Moreover, the listing of games seems random; King of Fighters 94-99 is on it and 2001-2003 is on it, not KOF 2000. Shock Troopers 2 is on it, not Shock Troopers 1. Not Baseball Stars 1. Not Metal Slug 5. Sengoku 2. It's strange. If they weren't going to include the entire library, you would think they would have gone with at least the most popular titles and left off the more undesirables like Legend of Success Joe and Stakes Winner and Puzzle De Pon R. Oh if only it had just a few games like Windjammers and Magician Lord...

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
161 is the common number for Neo milticarts. That's the one everyone has. If you have a Unibios installed on your system, it has a feature called Pick'n Mix that vastly improves the 161-in-1 by weeding out the bootlegs and improving the UI.

You have two decent but pricey options for Neo Geo flash carts. I reccommend getting one of those if you aren't going to buy the real carts.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
If you really have to go down the chinese bootleg multicart route, I'd personally advise non to go for the 161-in-1 as every single ROM has been modified to accomodate the in-game reset which means we'll never know if the games in it are legit dumps or bad dumps/hacks.

In the 138-in-1 most of the non-hack games are good dumps and work properly, plus, IMHO, it has better game choices.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
The main question I have is why the rom selection is the way it is. 161 isn't a common number for a multicart, it's usually like 150 in 1 or 200 in 1. An even number. Moreover, the listing of games seems random; King of Fighters 94-99 is on it and 2001-2003 is on it, not KOF 2000. Shock Troopers 2 is on it, not Shock Troopers 1. Not Baseball Stars 1. Not Metal Slug 5. Sengoku 2. It's strange. If they weren't going to include the entire library, you would think they would have gone with at least the most popular titles and left off the more undesirables like Legend of Success Joe and Stakes Winner and Puzzle De Pon R. Oh if only it had just a few games like Windjammers and Magician Lord...
Have you tried being a baller

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
All multi-carts are sh8t & the NEOSD is not supported.The NEOSD is more like a development tool imo and the multi-carts have compatibility issues,etc. if the cart breaks,you lose all your games..I tried it all..
Some of the converters are good and I would recommend those first.
If you want to play home brews & difficult or very expensive titles to acquire , I recommend the SD so purchase both.
BB

Misos

New Challenger
It is what it is. They are cheaply made, using recycled chips and all. I have both 161 in 1 and the 138 in 1.
Don't expect something premium from the price and you will be fine.
If you have the money to expend in a Flashcart them go for it.
In my case it's not worth because of the cambial rate and taxes i would have to pay. 300 dollars become 5k.

Satoshi_Matrix

n00b
10 Year Member
It is what it is. They are cheaply made, using recycled chips and all. I have both 161 in 1 and the 138 in 1.
Don't expect something premium from the price and you will be fine.
If you have the money to expend in a Flashcart them go for it.
In my case it's not worth because of the cambial rate and taxes i would have to pay. 300 dollars become 5k.
I have heard that from the MVS versions, but what about the AES ones? those are pretty recent.

Misos

New Challenger
I have heard that from the MVS versions, but what about the AES ones? those are pretty recent.
I really doubt they would go out of their ways just to make this particular multicart.
Actually i think they are charging more for the same thing with a diffirent pinout and that's all.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm surprised there still isn't a multi-cart that has all the legit released games right there in ROM for instant access like the 161s and others have. Would save on the loading times and effort of bothering with SD cards.

I remember Raz was going to do something like that before settling on Pic-N-Mix instead.

Satoshi_Matrix

n00b
10 Year Member
I'm surprised there still isn't a multi-cart that has all the legit released games right there in ROM for instant access like the 161s and others have. Would save on the loading times and effort of bothering with SD cards.

I remember Raz was going to do something like that before settling on Pic-N-Mix instead.
You bean like a custom bios that replaces the Unibios? I would love such a thing.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
You bean like a custom bios that replaces the Unibios? I would love such a thing.
No, I mean a cart like the 161 that has all the games ready for immediate access, but with all legit releases, no bootlegs, and fully tested ROMs. Better build quality that doesn't suck power would also be a big bonus.