Texas Rollcall!

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
So are there any houston meet ups anymore? Im barely getting back into neo geo and wouldnt mind playing some games. Im actually trying to piece a cab together or possibly find a big red.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
So are there any houston meet ups anymore? Im barely getting back into neo geo and wouldnt mind playing some games. Im actually trying to piece a cab together or possibly find a big red.
IDK about for NeoGeo but if you check Shoryuken and maybe a few other places like facebook groups and various niche fighting game forums, you could find fighting game meetups. If that's what you're after, that is.

Being in Texas you're at least in somewhat of a hotspot for fighters.

Last edited:

the champ

n00b
I think you guys should invite the lone wolf Terry Bogard I think he lives somewhere around Texas. Hihihihihi!!!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm not part of the Austin scene but there have been meetups recently-ish. I seem to recall NeoTurfMasta holding gatherings at a game store, bringing lots of Neo-Geo gear to it.

Meanwhile, if you haven't gone to Arcade UFO yet, you should check it out. Not exactly a happening area for Neo-Geo itself, but it's a pretty cool arcade. Pinballz is also cool, but I like UFO more.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Meanwhile, if you haven't gone to Arcade UFO yet, you should check it out. Not exactly a happening area for Neo-Geo itself, but it's a pretty cool arcade. Pinballz is also cool, but I like UFO more.

Thanks for the tip. I moved to Austin from Boston recently. Been hitting Pinballz a few times but never been to UFO.

I'm just starting out when it comes to collecting Neo Geo. Just got myself an MVS cab from DFW area for $500 from iTech Arcade Repair. Great guys.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'll be in Austin for a bit of this weekend, I may end up at UFO, maybe not? Dunno exactly how much free time I'll have but I figure I'd mention it.

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
UFO is a fun place. I work at UT about 5 minutes from there.

Not a neo-geo joint, but that doesn't matter. Still good games and fun there.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hey all.... Just Moved to Austin! Still meet ups at all?

I'll be in Austin for a bit of this weekend, I may end up at UFO, maybe not? Dunno exactly how much free time I'll have but I figure I'd mention it.
Right on. I'm fighting a pretty crappy cold right now but if I'm feeling better by Saturday, I might check it out.

Nitsunto: I know you want to go and eyeball the candy cabs down there.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Anytime I visit autin there are 2 places I always have to go visit. UFO and ramen tatsuya ! Some damn good ramen.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Anytime I visit autin there are 2 places I always have to go visit. UFO and ramen tatsuya ! Some damn good ramen.

I can't remember if Tatsuya is the ramen place I want to try or the one I've already tried and liked.

Uh anyway, had good times at UFO last weekend, I had some great matches of KOF98UM, I just wish I was more used to the "box layout" but if that's what it takes to have more people playing KOF I can deal with it :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
do they switch around the games periodically? The last time i went there was no kof98, but its been awhile. I got used to playing kof on the square layout due to only playing on consoles other than the aes growing up. Any time there are more kof players thats a good thing. One of my fav fighting games.
The ramen place im talking about is off research blvd in same parking lot as a target.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
do they switch around the games periodically? The last time i went there was no kof98, but its been awhile. I got used to playing kof on the square layout due to only playing on consoles other than the aes growing up. Any time there are more kof players thats a good thing. One of my fav fighting games.
The ramen place im talking about is off research blvd in same parking lot as a target.
OK, then Tatsuya must be the one I keep meaning to try. My friends rave about it.

Ask the employees to switch out games if you want to play something not on the floor. If that guy Chris with the piercings is working there he's cool, and if he says he doesn't know how to switch out the games (he just started working at UFO very recently) you should tease him and say "Figures, DanAdamKOF said you were a scrub at arcades" or something haha ;p

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Haha, thats cool they switch out games.Do you know if the have kof 00/02/01/XI? I may be going to austin this month sometime. Guess i will polish up my 98 skills.
I probably wouldnt mess with the guy, but if im drunk when i go in there, thats a different story. I cant remember, do they allow byob? Seems like alot of gaming places have become byob type deals. Cant remember if they do, been to so many places lol.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I don't think they let you byob. I bet if you asked about specific games on their Facebook page they could tell you, I forget which specific NG games they have.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Tatsuya is one of those, you haven't been to it if you didn't stand in a line, kinda place.
I've never been, but I hear it's good.
I'm trying to learn how to do hand pulled noodles myself one day.
Haven't been successful on that, I'm still working on the ingredients.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
last time we went tatsuya we got there 5 mins after opening time and the line was already wralled to the end of the sidewalk. But its damn good.
Yeah, it takes skill to do that. Im still working on getting my pho just right, but its not that hard to make. Ramen is more difficult. So many elements you have to get right.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I forgot to inform you all that I am in Austin for South by Southwest. Never been to this event and i'm enjoying myself. I'm here until Wednesday.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm gonna be at Anime Matsuri on Saturday. Send a PM if you wanna say hi or something :)

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Plans gave changed slightly, arriving Friday night (7ish probably) and then showing up Saturday probably right as it opens. I'll be with the Bemani guys nearly the whole time. AJ you're a SRK Tech Talk dude right? Hibachifinal will be there, we can trade Tekken 5 Stick war stories ;p

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I'm a old school srk'er, but yeah. Hit me up. I should have some Jameson at my hotel room. We can grab a drink too.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Rare is in town, I'm having people over for games later today, send a PM if you want to go. I'm in Richardson near 75 and Bush.