Tarantino and JJ Abrams to make R-Rated Star Trek film

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
For Star Trek, they need an auteur director that would really take the principles and themes (the human condition, non-religious morality, sex, technology) of the original Star Trek TV series and movies seriously. For example, Tarantino, James Cameron, Ridley Scott, Wes Anderson, Tim Burton, Clint Eastwood, or Sylvester Stallone. Directors that really do their homework before they make a picture, that only make a movie if they're ready to do it properly. But I'm surprised that Tarantino would want to make a movie that isn't R-rated. I doubt the studio would let them make a Star Trek movie that was R-rated, as they wouldn't get the family audience that way. I'll believe it when I see it. Perhaps they could keep Tarantino happy by making two versions, an R-rated and a PG-13 version. The Next Generation covered some edgy topics, even though it was PG-13, as the writers had creative freedom, that you normally don't get for a TV show (well, maybe they do for cable shows).

I thought the new Star Trek movie would be good because it had JJ Abrams directing, and he was known to prefer practical special effects over blue screen. It's good, but it's still a regular action movie, and the Star Trek reboot films after that weren't as good.

I think if you lose a genius like Roddenberry, you can't really replace them. Maybe there are a few other geniuses working in entertainment, but they wouldn't necessarily want to change what they are doing, to work on Star Trek, and they don't have the same interest in it, as Roddenberry had, anyway. So after Roddenberry's death, the people he had chosen to write and produce Next Gen, went on to do DS9 and Voyager. Which they had lot of success, with DS9, but obviously it couldn't last forever. To make Star Trek with the above-mentioned themes, you really need somebody like Roddenberry at the helm, to make it work long-term. Which is not to say that Roddenberry was right about everything Star Trek should include (at least, geniuses ideas are not always correct from a commercial perspective, but their mistakes are often just stepping stones to better ideas).

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Patrick Stewart would be onboard for a Tarantino directed Star Trek. Link

Could Star Trek fans see a return of one of its most famous faces?

Following the news that Quentin Tarantino was working on a new idea for the franchise alongside J.J. Abrams, with plans to direct, Patrick Stewart has thrown an unlikely hat back into the intergalactic ring.

"People are always saying to me, 'Will you be Jean-Luc Picard again?' And I cannot think that would be possible, but there are ways in which something like that might come about," the iconic actor told The Hollywood Reporter, speaking from the sidelines of the Dubai International Film Festival, where he received an honorary award.

"But one of my dreams is to work with Tarantino. I admire his work so much, and to be in a Tarantino film would give me so much satisfaction. So, if he is going to direct something to do with Star Trek and there was the possibility of dear old Jean-Luc showing up again and doing that for Mr Tarantino, I would embrace it."

Stewart said one thing was sure about a Tarantino-directed Star Trek installment: it would be gripping.

"The one thing that characterizes all of his movies is that frame by frame, it always challenges, always demands your attention, always demands a very kind of open and generous response to what he does," he said. "I also love his sense of humor as a filmmaker. So yes, he would be my first choice."

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It would be cool to see a Star Trek movie that borrows from a different genre. Space Horror maybe?

Look at what they did with Planet of the Apes. They the third movie is half western, half great escape. And it worked.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I guess if Sir Patrick Stewart was on board, it would have to be a Next Gen movie? I would doubt that he could just be a guest star. And if Picard was a main character, you would have to have all of the other characters too. Nemesis was a good movie (underrated though), but there was maybe too much focus on the Data character by the end of the Next Gen movie series. I don't think audiences will ever get tired of stories about Picard. By the end, it was just stories about Data and Picard.

I think they should do another Next gen movie, but perhaps there would have to a couple of new, younger characters on the bridge. There would have to be some revamping of it. But you could get the fans of the old-school Trek watching the films again. It would nice to have a Star Trek movie shot on 70mm film, like The Hateful Eight was.

Patrick Stewart would be onboard for a Tarantino directed Star Trek. Link

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Kill Bill was awesome Famicom, you seriously didn't like it???

Nope. It's crap. Reservoir Dogs was pretty good but it turns out he ripped a lot of that off from a Hong Kong cinema film called City on Fire.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I am not seeing the common formula between Hateful 8 and Inglourious Basterds.

But I will say that space is Tarantino's final frontier. He has made the kung fu movie, the blacksploitation movie, the western, the spaghetti western, and he wrote one of the best romance movies ever made - True Romance. I am not into Star Trek. It's always been shit to me. I would prefer if Tarantino makes his own science fiction movie without recreating anyone else's movie (hateful, inglorious, and django) or riding someone else's IP.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I am not seeing the common formula between Hateful 8 and Inglourious Basterds.

But I will say that space is Tarantino's final frontier. He has made the kung fu movie, the blacksploitation movie, the western, the spaghetti western, and he wrote one of the best romance movies ever made - True Romance. I am not into Star Trek. It's always been shit to me. I would prefer if Tarantino makes his own science fiction movie without recreating anyone else's movie (hateful, inglorious, and django) or riding someone else's IP.
The formula is to take a specific genre and try to boil it down to a movie that relies heavily upon hollow characters who spit out witty one liners and deal out ultraviolence. He casts the same people, he uses the same tropes with few exceptions. It's all just self-wankery with Tarantino intent on displaying his knowledge and command of obscure genres of film.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well, I for one can't think of a modern movie that as a whole has really wow'ed me in quite some time.

I don't know of anything those two have been a part of that I would say was top notch. Some of their stuff I liked in part, but as a whole none of it.

As the marvel and DC movies were mentioned, those two are the same as above. While I like, them both, in parts, the whole of any of them has issues that keep me from saying they are that good. While none are bad movies, they are all far from being great movies.

I think unless something changes with the movie making trend it won't matter too much at all who is directing what, as we just aren't getting the kind of film making that made movies great in the first place.

I can't honestly think of a movie coming out that makes me want to go see it.

Sadly, movies are a thing I could go on about forever, but I'll leave it at that.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm really torn about this. Star Trek and Tarantino just...I don't know.

The man can make an excellent movie, but I fear him putting way too much emphasis on extreme violence, everyone acting like scumbags, and his weird penchant for injecting 70's Grindhouse effects and music. None of those are what Star Trek is about.

Then again, who knows, it might be something pretty awesome.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Well, I for one can't think of a modern movie that as a whole has really wow'ed me in quite some time.

I don't know of anything those two have been a part of that I would say was top notch. Some of their stuff I liked in part, but as a whole none of it.

As the marvel and DC movies were mentioned, those two are the same as above. While I like, them both, in parts, the whole of any of them has issues that keep me from saying they are that good. While none are bad movies, they are all far from being great movies.

I think unless something changes with the movie making trend it won't matter too much at all who is directing what, as we just aren't getting the kind of film making that made movies great in the first place.

I can't honestly think of a movie coming out that makes me want to go see it.

Sadly, movies are a thing I could go on about forever, but I'll leave it at that.

It's kinda sad if you can't get hype for new movies. Get Out was my favorite movie of 2017. Plenty of junk this year but there's always enough quality to keep me entertained.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I really hope this comes to fruition. Plus Patrick Stewart would be amazing.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I'm really torn about this. Star Trek and Tarantino just...I don't know.

The man can make an excellent movie, but I fear him putting way too much emphasis on extreme violence, everyone acting like scumbags, and his weird penchant for injecting 70's Grindhouse effects and music. None of those are what Star Trek is about.

Then again, who knows, it might be something pretty awesome.

Tarantino has dabbled in more conventional material (like ER) with good results. I doubt this would be Django in Space. Hopefully more character- and story-driven like Jackie Brown, with some awesome action sequences and maybe a few intense dramatic scenes to drive it home.

I'm a fan of classic Trek in all its forms, but I'm not a purist who hates the new stuff. I'd rather see them experiment with the characters than let the franchise go stale and die.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It's kinda sad if you can't get hype for new movies. Get Out was my favorite movie of 2017. Plenty of junk this year but there's always enough quality to keep me entertained.

Get Out was the best science fiction movie of 2017.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Tarantino has dabbled in more conventional material (like ER) with good results. I doubt this would be Django in Space. Hopefully more character- and story-driven like Jackie Brown, with some awesome action sequences and maybe a few intense dramatic scenes to drive it home.

I'm a fan of classic Trek in all its forms, but I'm not a purist who hates the new stuff. I'd rather see them experiment with the characters than let the franchise go stale and die.

Same. The new stuff can be pretty fun. Beyond was great. Into Darkness, not so much.

If there's one thing I miss from the Star Trek movies, its the intense moments of real, punch to the gut drama. The kind that really hit home to what the characters are about and how serious the situations are. The ones that allow you to savor the moment without a bunch of noise, music, and flashy shit going on. Star Trek II and III were the best at it, though First Contact had some really good ones too. The JJ-verse movies, while enjoyable, don't really have those. It's a constant stream of go-go-go, and any moments of character drama seem to exist just to push the plot along and nothing else (though Beyond had a few good ones).

Tarantino is a master of those, and that's one thing I have full confidence he could bring to a ST movie and make it work 100%.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Rise from your grave

Patrick Stewart to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard in new Star Trek TV series.
Link

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I still haven't watch an episode of the new star trek, is it worth watching. MIght check out of r Picard

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Tarantino hasn't made a good movie since Pulp Fiction. All his movies are formulaic shit.

lolz.

ok.

I mean Pulp Fiction was iconic and influential (even if it was derivative), but I wouldn't say his movies after have been "bad".

There's always something to see in a tarantino flick

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
different does not equal good

the ultimate tagline of Quentin Tarantino's filmography

EDIT: Just to clarify, Tarantino makes shit movies. The only one I like that he's made is Pulp Fiction, and I'm very aware that his choice in actors and actresses and visual construction of the film is almost the only thing that gives it that special flare.... I'll admit, the whole film is really good, but I can't stand anything else I've ever seen by the dude. Didn't he play a role iin Natural Born Killers? In the script...? I like that movie, but I bet I'd like it more if he didn't have anything to do with it.

EDIT2: OK, so I see it was based on a script by him and HEAVILY revised. Good! That's why it's good. :)

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I still haven't watch an episode of the new star trek, is it worth watching. MIght check out of r Picard

It's great. Not typical Trek though, it's not comfort TV, there's twists and turns unseen in the star trek universe. It's slightly cringey on the libtard front but you can start to overlook it as it goes on. Needs maybe five eps to get you properly hooked.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
If you ignore the libtard factor (fatty, gays, asians, stronk black woman who don't need no man, trans-klingon on the cast) it's actually decent. Not great but watchable.