Tarantino and JJ Abrams to make R-Rated Star Trek film

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Link

Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter both confirmed earlier this week that directors Quentin Tarantino and J.J. Abrams are in talks to develop a “Star Trek” film.

Deadline is now reporting that Tarantino requires the film carry an R rating, consistent with what one would expect of a Tarantino film. Both Abrams and Paramount have apparently agreed to the demand, potentially going where no one has gone before with “Star Trek.”

No plot details have been revealed, but “The Revenant” screenwriter Mark L. Smith is said to be the frontrunner for penning Tarantino’s “Star Trek” vision.

The last film, “Star Trek Beyond,” didn’t fare as well as its predecessors at the box office, making just $158 million in North America. That’s in contrast to 2013′s “Star Trek into Darkness” making $228 million, and 2009′s “Star Trek” making $256 million. The declining profits may be one reason the studio is considering the audacious Tarantino.

And, let’s be honest, whether it’s a good “Star Trek” film or not, it’s going to be really entertaining.

I'm excited about this. Never was a huge fan of the new Star Trek movies. Felt like it strayed too much from the old stuff for me to get too comfortable with them. If it's going to be... different... I'd like it to be very different, and I can't think of a more different take on Star Trek than whatever Taratino comes up with.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
This sure sounds different... but different does not equal good (otherwise we would all be over Boyhood... and we are not.)

I want to be excited about it, but I'm more confussed than anything.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
While some of Tarantino's movies are just OK, I've never walked out of one feeling like it was boring or bland. I can't say that about all Star Trek movies. New or old.

I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
My guess is that the Ferengi will have a presence in this film. Should be interesting to say the least.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Does this mean the current cast is being ditched? Will this be some kind of one-off? Tarantino's involvement obviously means things will be different, but the addition of the Abrams' factor to the mix makes me have no idea what to expect here.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Tarantino hasn't made a good movie since Pulp Fiction. All his movies are formulaic shit.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Tarantino hasn't made a good movie since Pulp Fiction. All his movies are formulaic shit.

LOL, this coming from a Marvel fan... Fuck you and your faget superhero soap operas.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Are they finally going to show Kirk fucking an alien uncut.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I'm all for more R-rated movies and generally find Star Trek boring and laughable, what could you possibly do in an R-rated Star Trek that wouldn't be retarded? Extreme phaser violence? Stupid. F-word laced monologues like in a Tarantino movie? Stupid. Alien fucking? Double stupid. Just let Star Trek be Star Trek: boring space politics for nerds with no social skills.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I can't say that I've really enjoyed a movie from either Tarantino or Abrams. Maybe two wrongs will make a right and this will be awesome. I think it will be worth seeing if for no other reason than being interested in the collaboration. What would be really awesome is if they could do it three way with Shyamalan or work in some special guest directing from Ang Lee and Joel Schumacher.

famicommander

15 Year Member
LOL, this coming from a Marvel fan... Fuck you and your faget superhero soap operas.

I'm actually more of a DC fan, but the difference between Marvel films and Tarantino films is that Tarantino is a big pretentious dick about it while the Marvel stuff doesn't take itself seriously at all.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I'm hoping Samuel L Jackson's character will have a phaser that shoots purple beams.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm actually more of a DC fan, but the difference between Marvel films and Tarantino films is that Tarantino is a big pretentious dick about it while the Marvel stuff doesn't take itself seriously at all.

No, the difference is he makes films rather than products. DC/WB tried to emulate Marvel's commercial success and also ended up making throw away garbage. Sad to see them go from the Dark Knight trilogy to this after they basically invented the genre.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
No, the difference is he makes films rather than products. DC/WB tried to emulate Marvel's commercial success and also ended up making throw away garbage. Sad to see them go from the Dark Knight trilogy to this after they basically invented the genre.

Zach Snyder and J.J. Abrams are just serial directors. They make franchises for binge consumption, but neither have ever made a good product in this decade.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Zach Snyder and J.J. Abrams are just serial directors. They make franchises for binge consumption, but neither have ever made a good product in this decade.

agreed. needless to say I particularly dislike JJ.Abrams and his brand of faux epics. the most tasteless man on earth.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i don't care for both those people or star trek.

V tv series > star trek

famicommander

15 Year Member

The Dark Knight Trilogy is pretentious bullshit too. Horrible action, preachy as fuck, cookie monster batman voice. Gotham looks like shit. The best live action Batman film is Tim Burton's first one.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member

Abrams is a master recycler of others' cinematic genius. He tugs at the heartstrings like Spielberg, but without the originality. I find younger people eat Abrams up because they think it's brilliant and new, until you introduce them to the older films he stole from.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
The Dark Knight Trilogy is pretentious bullshit too. Horrible action, preachy as fuck, cookie monster batman voice. Gotham looks like shit. The best live action Batman film is Tim Burton's first one.

This guy knows. Batman and Batman Returns are definitely the best. DKT are way too serious and Christian Bale has a lisp with the cowl on.

I like Tarantino, I think it could be an interesting mashup...

famicommander

15 Year Member
Batman Returns isn't that good either. It's too long and too cheesy.

It has the best Catwoman though.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Batman Returns isn't that good either. It's too long and too cheesy.

It has the best Catwoman though.

Batman returns was trademark Burton. And that’s okay because Burton had vision back then. Now not sure if Burton can do anything without Depp, who as long forgotten when he acted in The Ninth Gate, or Once Upon A Time In Mexico, or Donnie Brasco.

You know what Batman Returns was missing? Nipples on the batsuit. Schumacher knew it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Schumacher's ancestors were shoe makers. I am sure they are proud that he directed a big Hollywood film and is a millionaire.