Talk me in/out of a PS4 Pro

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It seems to me that the system isn't doing well...will future support for the thing be around?

Honestly, this generation is pretty much done at this point with everyone looking to the next batch of systems. That said, developers will release every game on every possible platform as long as possible.

geise

Mickey's Coach
ps5 will drop next year and be backwards compatible with ps4 games. Just wait at this point.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
ps5 will drop next year and be backwards compatible with ps4 games. Just wait at this point.

This is where I'm a bit of a weirdo...I really don't have much interest in the PS5 (or whatever they'll call it) for the foreseeable future. I'd rather swoop in and get a 4 cheaper...if they drop the price on them soon. On top of that, waiting until next year isn't really something I'll do...this is more of a winter hobby for me.

You're talking to a guy still using an 11 year old PS3...

geise

Mickey's Coach
Lol. Understand. I only have 4 ps3 games and really only play it now for Daytona haha. I love my regular ps4 though and never bothered to get the pro. Not enough for me to play to warrant the cost, plus I have an Oculus rift s. So, I don't need a ps4 for better VR. In the coming months I'm sure the price will drop. Black Friday will probably be your friend if you can hold out till then. Some ps4 pro games like Shadow of the Colossus have pro's and cons for using ps4 pro version. Better solid 60 fps but less detail in the models. Me being weird would rather have a solid 30 fps and more detailed models for that game at least.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Nothing wrong with that, the PS3 is great.

I'm surprised the thing is still kicking on all original hardware. It's even a "fat" model, I picked it up early 2008 for the Blu Ray drive. To this day, the thing has yet to cause me any issues, which surprises me given how much we've used it as a Blu Ray player.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Support for it will be fine. The only games you won't get are the Sony exclusives, i.e. Spider-Man, God of War, The Show, Yakuza. MS's exclusives are few and far between, but it just runs multi-platform stuff so much better than the PS4 Pro much of the time.

The UI is indeed a trash fire of epic levels though, as noted by 100proof. Hard to believe that thing's been tested by actual humans and judged to be acceptable.

I think you grossly underestimate the amount of games, particularly from Japanese publishers/developers, that don't come out on X1. I mean yeah, the X1X is "the most powerful console on the market" and will play stuff like Fallout 4 and all of the FPSs and the 8,000 open-world games that come out from the big publishers every year slightly better than a Pro but most of those are boring trash and the games that people around here mostly give a shit about, it gets next to nothing.

In addition to all of the pretty good games Sony's put out this generation themselves, X1 doesn't have Persona 5, Tetris Effect, Bloodborne, everything VR-related (there are surprisingly several good games/experiences on that front), Darius Burst, most of the JRPGs, most of the fighting games and a bunch of the Japanese developed indie shit.

I don't particularly care about CONSOLE WARZ bullshit but if you've waited this long to buy a "current-gen" console and have been playing nothing but a PS3 the last ten years, there's zero reason to get an X1/X1X. Unless you desperately need a 4K Blu Ray player but those can be had for $100 on Black Friday.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I think you grossly underestimate the amount of games, particularly from Japanese publishers/developers, that don't come out on X1. I mean yeah, the X1X is "the most powerful console on the market" and will play stuff like Fallout 4 and all of the FPSs and the 8,000 open-world games that come out from the big publishers every year slightly better than a Pro but most of those are boring trash and the games that people around here mostly give a shit about, it gets next to nothing.

In addition to all of the pretty good games Sony's put out this generation themselves, X1 doesn't have Persona 5, Tetris Effect, Bloodborne, everything VR-related (there are surprisingly several good games/experiences on that front), Darius Burst, most of the JRPGs, most of the fighting games and a bunch of the Japanese developed indie shit.

I don't particularly care about CONSOLE WARZ bullshit but if you've waited this long to buy a "current-gen" console and have been playing nothing but a PS3 the last ten years, there's zero reason to get an X1/X1X. Unless you desperately need a 4K Blu Ray player but those can be had for $100 on Black Friday.

You're right. I have a few niggles with the PS4 that tend to color my opinions on it relative to the XB sometimes. Forest, trees, all that I think.

I wouldn't want to try to only go with one system or the other, but for most people who only want to buy one console, PS4 is the better option.

highflyin9

n00b
The day after you buy it Sony will come out with a better-designed PS4 Pro Slim, so please go ahead and get one... that's what I've been waiting for -_-

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Don't forget all xb1 'exclusives" can be found on PC now. They've done a remarkable job of making the xb1 irrelevant. Now if they stuck Windows 10 in a Xb1x i would be all over that.

I would stick with a regular PS4, 4k is overrated and the ps4 pro doesnt do true 4k. So unless you have 20/20 or better vision with an 80 inch + tv or sit about 3 feet away its not worth it.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I would stick with a regular PS4, 4k is overrated and the ps4 pro doesnt do true 4k. So unless you have 20/20 or better vision with an 80 inch + tv or sit about 3 feet away its not worth it.

The more time passes, the more I'm leaning towards a STD PS4. First off, it's cheaper and like I keep saying, Black Friday deals may be good this year. Second, my gear. While my TV can easily handle 4K content, my receiver cannot. I really don't feel like running another HDMI to my TV (which is a serious pain), nor do I feel like bypassing my multichannel audio. There's also no way in hell I'm buying a new receiver anytime soon. Lastly, the largest no-go for me is the fact that the Pro cannot play 4K Blu Ray...which is plain old dumb.

We'll see though, if there's a solid enough deal I may get a Pro...it's not 100% done just yet.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm limping along with my new 4K TV and old receiver by sending a separate HDMI from the console to the TV and then running an optical cable to the receiver for audio.

If the TV is mounted have someone help you lift it off the wall temporarily while you connect the TV. That's the main pain with hooking up my TV.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
The more time passes, the more I'm leaning towards a STD PS4. First off, it's cheaper and like I keep saying, Black Friday deals may be good this year. Second, my gear. While my TV can easily handle 4K content, my receiver cannot. I really don't feel like running another HDMI to my TV (which is a serious pain), nor do I feel like bypassing my multichannel audio. There's also no way in hell I'm buying a new receiver anytime soon. Lastly, the largest no-go for me is the fact that the Pro cannot play 4K Blu Ray...which is plain old dumb.

We'll see though, if there's a solid enough deal I may get a Pro...it's not 100% done just yet.

Using an optical cable is a good option , the sound quality is nearly as good. You'll still get 5.1 but not 7.1 or lossless codecs

The lack of 4k blu ray is bizarre considering Sony invented it. Really shows how little physical media matters these days considering how much Sony pushed DVD and Bluray on the ps2 and ps3. The Ps4 also doesnt do Atmos which the Xbox 1 does . If you have the setup Atmos is pretty fucking awesome.

I would consider an Xbox one X, if you can live without the ps4 exclusives. Ive seen way better deals on them and it's objectively the better machine

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Holy crap...Costco locally has a XBox One X w Forza bundle on clearance for $299....I may just get that tomorrow...

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
That's cheap. I have one with the forza bundle. Cost me 429,-

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I didn't know Costco ever puts anything like that on clearance. You're going to have a great time with Forza Horizon 4.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
My original non-glossy PS4 has the Blue Light of Death... if I can't get it repaired, I may go for PS4 Pro to finish the rest of my unplayed games.

Or I might just get rid of everything.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I didn't know Costco ever puts anything like that on clearance. You're going to have a great time with Forza Horizon 4.

Horizon 3 was much better imho. Especially the Hot wheels add on.
3 was really big. I did enjoy 4 also

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I passed on it...I'll admit it, I have prejudice against Microsoft, I can't buy one no matter how good the deal.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Horizon 3 was much better imho. Especially the Hot wheels add on.
3 was really big. I did enjoy 4 also
Yeah, 3 was better. Never got into the Hot Wheels addon though. You're always at top speed and it's a very different game.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member

Their price will change to XX.97 when something is on clearance (and has an asterisk next to the price).