Takashi Nishiyama 1UP interview.

Blondin

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
fantastic interview....i learned something here, thank you!

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Nice read, thanks for posting it.

BRANDI

Franco's Trainer
20 Year Member
Very interesting interview, thank you for the link...

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Simply awesome. Thank you so much for posting that. There's so much to be learned and understood, so many dots to be connect with the words of such a crucial character in our hobby main focus.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I thought that the questions about his sexual orientation were unnecessary and distasteful. It doesn't matter what his stance is, and it seemed clear he wanted to distance himself from that topic.

Otherwise, fantastic interview. He seems like a fascinating guy with a lot of good stories.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the link. Great read.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Excellent interview. Didn't know he was responsible for so much. Pretty much one of the Godfathers of fighting games and arcade culture in the 90s.

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
so this guy was even behind the hardware idea of the NeoGeo ?!?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
so this guy was even behind the hardware idea of the NeoGeo ?!?

Yeah, that was a bold statement - I had no idea Piston Takashi was such an influence and even gave birth to the multi-slot idea.

I thought that the questions about his sexual orientation were unnecessary and distasteful. It doesn't matter what his stance is, and it seemed clear he wanted to distance himself from that topic.

Here's a response from the interviewer:

"I just wanted to point out one thing about asking if he was gay so it doesn't seem out of the blue. I probably should have put this in the story itself, but a few days before the interview I did a Google search for Nishiyama's name, and the Okamoto quote about him being gay was the number one topic that showed up -- that quote got turned into a lot of news stories, oddly enough. And since there isn't much other press about Nishiyama online, I realized that's probably the only thing some people know him for. That's the main reason I wanted to address it in the interview. Anyway, I totally get the criticism if you think it was too gossipy; just wanted to mention there was a reason for it."

edit:

"I mentioned the Google search to him after I turned the recorder off, and I think he was happy to clear the air, but it didn't seem to bother him at all."

Last edited:

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
i'm glad you enjoyed the link, its indeed a amazing interview. Read it yesterday while having breakfast and it made my day.such passion and motivation.i went out to work with a smile on my face.
When he says that Fatal Fury its his Street Fighter 2...... its like Shito said above, about the dots that get connected... the shadow of this man has been so present in my life, and now knowing that its him behind Dimps, it comes full circle.
There's something else that he says that really makes sense and can also be used to describe SNK and Neo-Geo, when he uses the words of Honda founder " the product speak for itself".

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I had forgotten he had so much to do with FF. I always thought AOF was his 'SFII', mainly because of the controls.

Neo Satellite

Quiz Detective
Interesting thread. If I remember well, he is the producer of rb2, neo turf masters and Ultimate 11 too. Good post man :buttrock:

Edit: His SNK works

Ghost Pilots - executive director
Neo Turf Masters - "boss"; executive director
The Ultimate 11 - SNK Football Championship - executive producer
Fatal Fury - (III~Real Bout 2: producer)
Art of Fighting series - producer
The King of Fighters series ('94~'99: producer)
Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidou Retsuden - executive producer
Samurai Shodown: Warriors Rage - executive producer
Metal Slug series (2, X: producer)
Savage Reign series - producer
Art of Fighting (anime) - special thanks to
Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf - special thanks to
Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle - special thanks to
Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture - executive producer

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
That is so weird, that he was only given Special Thanks credits when he says he created Fatal Fury.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
An insightful read. Thanks for sharing this. Made me think a lot about the rich history of the industry. I am disappointed to hear about his plans for the future direction of Dimps though. Sounds like they're moving into casual games.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Such an epic interview.

This man shaped my childhood and afterwards with games such as Street Fighter, Samurai Showdown, Art of Fighting, Moon Patrol, Fatal Fury, Capcom vs SNK series, Sonic Advance, Kung Fu Master, King of Fighters!!!

Another big screw up in the interview by the interviewer was giving the wrong answer for when Nishiyama says ''SNK made a character as homage to a Street Fighter character.

1UP: Dan?"

But anyway this made my day as well, what a blast from the past and so much valuable information which makes me appreciate these games even more now.

Interesting thread. If I remember well, he is the producer of rb2, neo turf masters and Ultimate 11 too. Good post man :buttrock:

Edit: His SNK works

Ghost Pilots - executive director
Neo Turf Masters - "boss"; executive director
The Ultimate 11 - SNK Football Championship - executive producer
Fatal Fury - (III~Real Bout 2: producer)
Art of Fighting series - producer
The King of Fighters series ('94~'99: producer)
Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidou Retsuden - executive producer
Samurai Shodown: Warriors Rage - executive producer
Metal Slug series (2, X: producer)
Savage Reign series - producer
Art of Fighting (anime) - special thanks to
Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf - special thanks to
Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle - special thanks to
Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture - executive producer

Where did you get this list? How about a complete list of his works?

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I like that he says Dimps uses the "SCRUM" development cycle :)

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
That was insane. He's connected to everything that I love and the very game that I hate. Remarkable.

Last edited: