Taito F3 info needed.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
(Japanese Taito F3 motherboard)

Taito F3 info needed.

General info ...A website etc..
Anything I should know otherwise about Taito F3....not found at Briggs site..http://www.hardmvs.com/

(I would like to put this in the little BAM cab,.....With the 1 slot still in the cab.....Cab is Mono.

Does this Mother board require -5V..

Is the Taito F3 Mono or Stereo.......?.Switchable

I guess this would answer my question as to if I can play other Region games on a Japanese Motherboard.
http://www.hardmvs.com/F3/F3modify.htm Modifying the F3 for all regions
The F3 system is keyed for different regions. Unfortunately, the keying is physical, and not done through a BIOS.

(So do I just take these Keys off and leave them off..?

Where is the Volume Control?..How do I adjust it.
voltagePotSM.jpg

This is another 4 pin connector. Also note above the pot marked "VR1" That is NOT a volume control. It is used to adjust the voltage at the PCB. Don't mess with it or you will screw the PCB up

Any Must buy or recomended games.?

Do I need to put in a 4 way joystick instead of an 8 way....Does it matter..?Will playing this with an 8 way mess something up.?

Pop 'n Pop
Joystick: 4-way (up, down, left, right)
Buttons: 2
http://www.klov.com/P/Pop_'n_Pop.html

............................................................................................

2c_1.JPG

I'm assuming this cart above/my cart is.....Below..
Puzzle Bobble 2 (Bust-A-Move Again)
Puzzle Bobble 2
Joystick: 8-way
Buttons: 1
http://www.klov.com/P/Puzzle_Bobble_2.html

NOTE:
None of this stuff is in my possession yet..So I can't look at anything in hand to see what's what yet..

So far I bought ..
A Japanese Taito F3 motherboard.
Puzzle Bobble 2 Taito F3 Cart.
Pop N Pop Taito F3 Cart.

I got out of the CPSII and into this. :rolleyes:

Suehirocho

New Challenger
Hi Chris,

I myself own a F3 + Puzzle Bobble 3 so I can help answering some of your questions :rolleyes:

Uses regular JAMMA pinout, sound is mono, no volume knob, it is set up using a menu screen you can access pressing a tiny switch on the pcb (marqued "SW1")

feed it with +5V (around 2.5 A) , +12V, no -5V to worry about

I think you should have no trouble installing it in your mono cab

Let us know how it's going when you receive it

Have fun with those excellent puzzle games ! :tickled:

Actually the Taito F3, a.k.a. Cybercore, can work in either mono or stereo. It works in mono by default on JAMMA, and works in stereo by installing a harness from the "S" connector directly to the speakers. That is the same 4-pin connector that appears on the picture of the board, closest to pin 1.

According to my manual, you do have to connect pins 5 and E to -5V. Probably to get stereo, I am not sure. And the volume is set via test mode.

I also saw those region-free modifications, and I think that they should be done by someone with a steady hand and alot of experience. I do own an English (American label) Taito F-3 board with Puzzle Bobble 4, and I am planning to purchase a Japanese F-3 board just to play the Japanese only games.

Finnally, the Taito F-3 system is great if you like puzzles. The shooters are OK, but they are nothing compared to the better schumps out there. The only decent schump, and a very hard one to find IMO, is Ray Force. This game is a vertical shooter and is only of of two games that came cartless (hybrid mother board with game, ala SVC Chaos). The other F-3 game that came cartless is Ring Rage, which I own. Before I forget, there is a good mixture of horizontal and vertical oriented games making the best system for the Taito Egret cab.

And good luck finding them as they rarely show up on eBay, specially the American label ones. Oh, I can know see myself in a bid war with you for a F-3 game. :loco:

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Charles Franklin Fernandez said:
Actually the Taito F3, a.k.a. Cybercore, can work in either mono or stereo. It works in mono by default on JAMMA, and works in stereo by installing a harness from the "S" connector directly to the speakers. That is the same 4-pin connector that appears on the picture of the board, closest to pin 1.

According to my manual, you do have to connect pins 5 and E to -5V. Probably to get stereo, I am not sure. And the volume is set via test mode.

I also saw those region-free modifications, and I think that they should be done by someone with a steady hand and alot of experience. I do own an English (American label) Taito F-3 board with Puzzle Bobble 4, and I am planning to purchase a Japanese F-3 board just to play the Japanese only games.

Finnally, the Taito F-3 system is great if you like puzzles. The shooters are OK, but they are nothing compared to the better schumps out there. The only decent schump, and a very hard one to find IMO, is Ray Force. This game is a vertical shooter and is only of of two games that came cartless (hybrid mother board with game, ala SVC Chaos). The other F-3 game that came cartless is Ring Rage, which I own. Before I forget, there is a good mixture of horizontal and vertical oriented games making the best system for the Taito Egret cab.

And good luck finding them as they rarely show up on eBay, specially the American label ones. Oh, I can know see myself in a bid war with you for a F-3 game. :loco:

Charles

I can know see myself in a bid war with you for a F-3 game.
icon25.gif
:glee:

:D I just want the Puzzle games.......... :p ..for now.. ;)

I basically bought the set-up for my wife..
So I can put it in the lil BAM cab and switch back and forth between F3 and MVS puzzle games.

You know I'l be back here asking questions after I get it... :make_fac:

Thanks..

Charles Franklin Fernandez
Suehirocho
MKL
lithy

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Check out this page for some technical specs and the list of games with screens:
http://www.system16.com/taito/hrdw_f3_page1.html

I was also thinking about getting one ot these, specially since the puzzle bobble 2 and 2x carts are much cheaper than the pb2 cart on neogeo. I has also some pretty interesting games apart from puzzles.

Please let us know how good/bad it is when you get it!

[OCEAN]

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Chris, great choice going with the F-3, it's one of my favorites. My collection consists of 15 games and though I'm looking to complete the collection unfortunatly games don't turn up very often. There are some very good games out there including 4 BAM games. I would also reccomend Kyukyoku Tiger II, Elevator Action II, Land Maker and Space Invaders DX. I'm so glad Taito didn't put suicide batteries in these boards like Capcom did with the CPSII.

Sorry to hear you got out of CPSII as there are many great games for it, and now with Razoola's suicide fix there really isn't any reason not to own them if you really like the games. I've sent out half my collection to Raz so far to be fixed and have been 110% happy with the results and service he provides.

On a side note, Pop'n Pop is great fun, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you've got any question about games let me know.

EDIT: And if you don't mind me aksing where did you pick up your F-3 stuff? I'm still looking for some games to complete my collection but hardly ever see anyone selling them, PM me if you like.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
[OCEAN] said:
Check out this page for some technical specs and the list of games with screens:
http://www.system16.com/taito/hrdw_f3_page1.html

I was also thinking about getting one ot these, specially since the puzzle bobble 2 and 2x carts are much cheaper than the pb2 cart on neogeo. I has also some pretty interesting games apart from puzzles.

Please let us know how good/bad it is when you get it!

[OCEAN]

Will Do...

Thank You...
Man..I see some awesome looking games this system has ......(Oh No)

segundosombra said:
To run Taito F3 games from any region in any language see:
http://www.solvalou.com/arcade_taitof3.php

Thank You..

The Chief said:
Chris, great choice going with the F-3, it's one of my favorites. My collection consists of 15 games and though I'm looking to complete the collection unfortunatly games don't turn up very often. There are some very good games out there including 4 BAM games. I would also reccomend Kyukyoku Tiger II, Elevator Action II, Land Maker and Space Invaders DX. I'm so glad Taito didn't put suicide batteries in these boards like Capcom did with the CPSII.

I'm so glad Taito didn't put suicide batteries in these boards like Capcom did with the CPSII..Me Too.. ;)

Awesome!!...15 Games...Sweeet!!!
Elevator Action II is what I really want..I love that game.
I had a bid on one several months ago and I didn't fight for it..I was undecided if I wanted to get into Taito F3 yet.
Then I got two carts and later found the mother board.
Basically I just want more stuff (puzzlers) to put in the Lil cab besides MVS puzzlers.
More option/games for my wife to play...BAM type games being her favorite.

I decided to just focus on..
Finishing MVS collection.
ST-V
Atomiswave
Taito F3

The Chief said:
Sorry to hear you got out of CPSII as there are many great games for it, and now with Razoola's suicide fix there really isn't any reason not to own them if you really like the games. I've sent out half my collection to Raz so far to be fixed and have been 110% happy with the results and service he provides.

The main reason I decided to get out of the CPSII was because of that battery issues...though I agree Razoola's suicide fix is the Best and I was going to get them all fixed.
I decided to sell all my CPSII stuff before it died..
I just didn't feel like shelling out more money to get them fixed....I started to go crazy buying/bidding on CPSII games and I do like the games.
I had a source for cheap CPSII boards in Jersey (operator)..but then he just got out of everything before I could aquire them..So that went down the tubes.

Most people that come over here want to play MVS..so the CPSII stuff didn't get much use...They were nice to have and play but sometimes I just need to focus on what I'll play or that'll get played.
I also decided to get rid of all my Jamma PCBs besides a select few....Too much to deal with.

The Chief said:
On a side note, Pop'n Pop is great fun, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you've got any question about games let me know..

Do you know if I'll need to install a 4 way Joystick for that game or will an 8 way cause problems.?

The Chief said:
EDIT: And if you don't mind me aksing where did you pick up your F-3 stuff? I'm still looking for some games to complete my collection but hardly ever see anyone selling them, PM me if you like.

EBay..Doing searches everyday...looking for the Puzzle games and a Motherboard
I do see this one seller who has a motherboards and games up a lot though I think his prices might be to high.So I never bid or binned any of his stuff.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Do you know if I'll need to install a 4 way Joystick for that game or will an 8 way cause problems.?

An 8 way joystick should work just fine for any F-3 game as it's JAMMA.

I really want to pick up copies of Bubble Memories and Bubble Symphony but haven't seen them for sale at a good price as of recently.

If you're looking for puzzle games I'd highly reccomend you checking out Land Maker, it's super cool and quite original. And of course he 4 different BAM games and Cleopatra Fortune are great puzzle action too. Arkanoid Returns and Puchi Carat are also cool games that can be used with a joystick or spinner.

I've just ordered a Taito G.Net system which has Super Bust A Move so between the Neo, F-3 and G.Net I'll have the BAM series covered.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
My Japanese Motherboard came today...Damn it's brand new and lighter then I thought it would be..
I also bought a US motherboard that I think I may keep after looking at how hard the multi region modification would be to do ..
But then again I'd like the US games to play in English............ (without having to do a mod)....Might as well keep the US board that honestly I was going to re-sell.

I have to say it's beautiful on screen..My Sons playing Puzzle Bobble 2 right now..
Though my wife is a Puzzle Bobble/BAM fanatic I think she's really going to love Pop & Pop.
I also picked her up a Puzzle Bobble 3....

I would not mind having this in a cab itself.. ( All to itself.....a Candy Cab...
Future thoughts...

BABPB.jpg

BAM2.jpg

POPPOP.jpg

p7p.jpg

2004_1026_020637AA.jpg

I'm glad I had the speaker unhooked when I powered it up ...Man the mother boards volume was set at Max..(set through dips)it's Loud!!!

Questions:...........(that I may have asked already)

What's the mini fan cool down on the motherboard....It's in a awkward place.

How do I set it to Freeplay?..I could not find that/do it in the soft dip settings..

Any tips for getting the carts on and OFF?...Man they can be a .......to get off..

TheGreenMachine

Geese's Thug
Can't remember if any of my games have a freeplay setting in the soft dip(Bubble Symphony definitely doesn't). I ended up installing mine in a refurbished and repainted original 'Track and Field' cab that had been converted into Lee Trevinos Golf. Then I did the 2P start credit button trick.

Good going on the art sets!

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Chris, congrads on getting the F-3 up and running, it's quite a system with some very cool games. Like I've sait before, I rate it right up there with Neo Geo and CPS2.

The boards are quite hard to get apart, aren't they. The best way I've found to take them apart is by putting my thumbs on the black plastic base of the PCB and using my fingers to apply gradual pressure to the game board until it's loose.

BTW, if you do decide to see one of your mother boards LMK;)

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
Make sure you pick up Elevator Action Returns. That game is great.

I sold all my stuff to BMU.... but I miss that game.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Briggs said:

Don't worry, it's in good hands. :D

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
TheGreenMachine said:
Can't remember if any of my games have a freeplay setting in the soft dip(Bubble Symphony definitely doesn't). I ended up installing mine in a refurbished and repainted original 'Track and Field' cab that had been converted into Lee Trevinos Golf. Then I did the 2P start credit button trick.

Good going on the art sets!

Thank You..TheGreenMachine..

2P start credit button trick
...Please explain..
Will I need to change anything if I put this in a cab other then a Candy..
When I put it in the Candy cab and changed the setting in the dips for it to be a two player game,.. I credit both player 1 and 2 using the service credits...(Candy cab has only one coin accepter)
In the lil BAM cab that I will eventually put this in it has two coin accepters but no service credit button..
Do I need to add something to credit both players..?or will it just work..

The Chief said:
Chris, congrads on getting the F-3 up and running, it's quite a system with some very cool games. Like I've sait before, I rate it right up there with Neo Geo and CPS2.

The boards are quite hard to get apart, aren't they. The best way I've found to take them apart is by putting my thumbs on the black plastic base of the PCB and using my fingers to apply gradual pressure to the game board until it's loose.

BTW, if you do decide to see one of your mother boards LMK;)

Thank you..The Chief
I have to agree it's pretty awesome..It really,really looks nice on screen.....

Thanks for the info on getting the boards apart..(I wish I could make something up that would push the boards up evenly.

Tell me..When you fire up a cab with this in it what do you get...?what happens..
I get a small pop from the one speaker hooked up since I change the set-up to mono..then some other screens come up/countdown etc..
Is that supposed to occur everytime..?
I'm just curious as to what is normal upon start-up....(I've only tried the two games let them run/played them/let me son play them then put the stuff away..I did turn it on and of and the settings saved..
Does this have a onboard battery for saving settings..?

I may get rid of the US Board not sure yet.....But I'll let you know..
I have to see what board is needed to play certain games without mudding ....I don't want many games for it...But,if I see something that I do want of find a deal on something.. I hate to have to buy or search out another Motherboard just to play that game..
I want all the puzzle games and Elevator Action Returns..

If I was to sell the US mb I'd sell it for no less then $100.00..(Honestly)I think a better price then that could be found though.
Yes..?..What's a base rate for these Mbs..?
After shipping the Jap board cost me $125.00 alone..

Briggs said:

Thanks Briggs..
That's the game I mostly want for this ......
Did they make a 1 & 2...(I need to go look at the game selections again) :p

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Thank you..The Chief
I have to agree it's pretty awesome..It really,really looks nice on screen.....

Thanks for the info on getting the boards apart..(I wish I could make something up that would push the boards up evenly.

Tell me..When you fire up a cab with this in it what do you get...?what happens..
I get a small pop from the one speaker hooked up since I change the set-up to mono..then some other screens come up/countdown etc..
Is that supposed to occur everytime..?
I'm just curious as to what is normal upon start-up....(I've only tried the two games let them run/played them/let me son play them then put the stuff away..I did turn it on and of and the settings saved..
Does this have a onboard battery for saving settings..?

I may get rid of the US Board not sure yet.....But I'll let you know..
I have to see what board is needed to play certain games without mudding ....I don't want many games for it...But,if I see something that I do want of find a deal on something.. I hate to have to buy or search out another Motherboard just to play that game..
I want all the puzzle games and Elevator Action Returns..

If I was to sell the US mb I'd sell it for no less then $100.00..(Honestly)I think a better price then that could be found though.
Yes..?..What's a base rate for these Mbs..?
After shipping the Jap board cost me $125.00 alone..

I've never actually ran the F-3 through a cab, only on my superguns, but yes the countdown does happen on most if not all games. As far as I know settings are lost when the power is turned off like CPS2, but I could be wrong.

If you're wanting to mod one of your boards Briggs might be able to do it for you.

$100 for the US MB is probably a bit more than I'd want to pay for one. I've seen them go from around $60 and up around $100 and sometimes a bit more. I'm still kicking myself I didn't pick up Bubble Memories or Bubble Symphony + Motherboard for $150 from BIG. Oh well, it won't be the last deal to ever come up.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
The Chief said:
I've never actually ran the F-3 through a cab, only on my superguns, but yes the countdown does happen on most if not all games. As far as I know settings are lost when the power is turned off like CPS2, but I could be wrong.

If you're wanting to mod one of your boards Briggs might be able to do it for you.

$100 for the US MB is probably a bit more than I'd want to pay for one. I've seen them go from around $60 and up around $100 and sometimes a bit more. I'm still kicking myself I didn't pick up Bubble Memories or Bubble Symphony + Motherboard for $150 from BIG. Oh well, it won't be the last deal to ever come up.

Thanks for the Briggs info..

I took the Japanese Motherboard and put it in the lil Bam cab tonight (the cab looks a bit different now since the pic below).
This took me quite some time tonight to finish..

I put the motherboard Taito F-3 on one side and kept the 1 slot MVS in the cab too...(Taito F-3 on the Right -Neo on the left.)
All I do is just take off the jamma harness and switch it to either board from the front of the cab..(very convenient)
I can change carts(dips) for both through the front too...this is a small cab but luckily it has enough room to do this.

I first put in Pop n Pop and played the hell out of the game/I like it..then turned the cab off..
When my wife came home I turned the cab back on all the changed settings were the same as I set them earlier..

She played it and beat the game ...then we played together,very cool game.

A few minutes ago I put in Puzzle Bobble 2...Surprisingly the settings were still the same as I changed them to last night.
All I did change this time was put it on hard...

The attraction demo on Puzzle Bobble 2... is great!!

It's slightly easier to get the carts off when the board is bolted to something as I learned tonight.

What I need to find out now is something explaing the game selections/modes in Pop n Pop .
They are in Japanese..

Something that explains the gameplay itself..

What I need

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Thanks for the Briggs info..

I took the Japanese Motherboard and put it in the lil Bam cab tonight (the cab looks a bit different now since the pic below).
This took me quite some time tonight to finish..

I put the motherboard Taito F-3 on one side and kept the 1 slot MVS in the cab too...(Taito F-3 on the Right -Neo on the left.)
All I do is just take off the jamma harness and switch it to either board from the front of the cab..(very convenient)
I can change carts(dips) for both through the front too...this is a small cab but luckily it has enough room to do this.

I first put in Pop n Pop and played the hell out of the game/I like it..then turned the cab off..
When my wife came home I turned the cab back on all the changed settings were the same as I set them earlier..

She played it and beat the game ...then we played together,very cool game.

A few minutes ago I put in Puzzle Bobble 2...Surprisingly the settings were still the same as I changed them to last night.
All I did change this time was put it on hard...

The attraction demo on Puzzle Bobble 2... is great!!

It's slightly easier to get the carts off when the board is bolted to something as I learned tonight.

What I need to find out now is something explaing the game selections/modes in Pop n Pop .
They are in Japanese..

Something that explains the gameplay itself..

What I need

Sounds like you've got your little BAM cab setup pretty nice. I'm supprised it has a big enough opening in the front to fit the F-3 boards through as they'er kind of big.

I guess I was wrong about it saving the settings then. I thought when you switched carts out setting were lost. Thanks for the info.

As for the different modes in Pop'n Pop I'm not sure. I don't know if theres any place on the web in English that states the differences in the modes of play. In that situation I usually like to go in blind and just check them all out seeing if I can note the differences.

TheGreenMachine

Geese's Thug
The 2P player start credit button trick as described by Bob Robert's:

http://www.dameon.net/BBBB/mynotes.html#freeplay

This method should work pretty well for the Taito F3 since as far as I know all credits are pooled. You could tie coin SW1, coin SW2, or even the service coin to the 2P start button from the JAMMA harness.

Damn, I can't remeber if my Pop 'n' Pop is English or Japanese. If it is in English and someone doesn't beat me to it I will write down the game mode blurbs and post them for you.

I need to pull my spare F3 board and Pop 'n' Pop out of storage.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
The Chief said:
Sounds like you've got your little BAM cab setup pretty nice. I'm supprised it has a big enough opening in the front to fit the F-3 boards through as they'er kind of big. .

The door itself it fairly wide..I would not be able to get the MB through it but carts easily..
The cab is pretty much Taito game dedicated now...with MVS Puzzle Bobble and the Taito F-3...
The cab is strictly for my wife and well, :rolleyes: her sisters-my sisters...
For them to play Puzzle games on it.They are all Puzzle Bobble/BAM fans,even her mom...

I guess I was wrong about it saving the settings then. I thought when you switched carts out setting were lost. Thanks for the info.

I turned the cab on this morning and the settings are all the same/unchanged..

When I put the motherboard in the BAM cab yesterday the only thing that was changed was the volume level..it was set to high again..but the change in dips I made to set the MB on 2 player cab was still set..
I'm not sure what gets changed upon switching carts..
This is the swap I did Pop n Pop >PB..-Set dips in Candy cab..Upon putting the stuff away/board out of cab..(.Took off PB then put it back on since I was going to use it again the next day(stored overnight)
Decided to put the MB in the Bam cab...Took off PB/board out of cab..Put in Pop n Pop after putting board in bam cab.. Bam cab..
Only had to reset the volume.
Then I put PB in and nothing was changed...Same settings as I had set when it was in the candy cab.
When I got the motherboard it was set to 1 player cab in dips..I changed it to two player and it hasn't changed back..

What keeps the memory,the Motherboard..?

What I need to do change the carts around again and see what happens because I might just be fkd up in the head and wrong.. :loco:

As for the different modes in Pop'n Pop I'm not sure. I don't know if theres any place on the web in English that states the differences in the modes of play. In that situation I usually like to go in blind and just check them all out seeing if I can note the differences.

Yea,the only choice I basically have is to just try everything in the game and try and remember what mode is what.
My wife asked me what was what last night in the Japanese writing and I had no answer..
When my wife blew through the game last night,I figured there has to be more..Something to give her a challenge or a longer game..
It says upon completing a one player game."Congratulations"..Try the next level..
Thing is ..I don't know how to get to the next level...Nothing happens after the game is over.
Does that mean to change the dips to a harder difficulty?

The next thing I do is put a set of red Ball Sanwa Joysticks in this cab..(I wish I could find Purble Balls)
I just need to figure out how to get them bolted in without making a ton of changes.(without spending money).but I have a plan..
I'll probably do that Saturday.....
I also want to buy a spare Control panel or even make something up..and put The Irritating Maze kit in..
I have to get a pretty plain spare CP and cut a big hole in the center fot the rollerball(future project)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
TheGreenMachine said:
The 2P player start credit button trick as described by Bob Robert's:

http://www.dameon.net/BBBB/mynotes.html#freeplay

This method should work pretty well for the Taito F3 since as far as I know all credits are pooled. You could tie coin SW1, coin SW2, or even the service coin to the 2P start button from the JAMMA harness.

Damn, I can't remeber if my Pop 'n' Pop is English or Japanese. If it is in English and someone doesn't beat me to it I will write down the game mode blurbs and post them for you.

I need to pull my spare F3 board and Pop 'n' Pop out of storage.

Thank You...

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Charles Franklin Fernandez said:
Chris1,

PM me your email address, and I will e-mail you a scanned copy of the Pop'n Pop manual.

Charles

Sweet!!...Thank you Charles..