Syougi.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
does anyone have a translation of the syougi soft dips or can do a quick translation?

Raz

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I actually play this game from time to time, it's a fun & challenging distraction. And I do sometimes make a few changes to the options as well. But I always play it on the home system, so I rarely check the MVS options or settings, so I really don't know what they do.

Some of the options determine which side the player controls, which player moves first, as well as number of moves permitted before a called game, The difficulty and credit / level displays would obviously be on there as well. And then perhaps a timer would be another option.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Many of them are quite easy to work out, the ones I'm stuck on are the first 5 dips (the rest I know). I know the 4th is related to game time but I don't know the right translation for it. The other 4 I have no idea really, one is related to difficulty but there seems to be 2 dips somehow related maybe to that and I don't know the difference between them.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Do you have an image of the dip sheet?

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I was able to find a good enough image of the DIP sheet online.
It's folded, but fortune smiled upon us and the half being shown is for the first 4 DIP settings!

1RueBaT.jpg

Now we just need a translation. Some of it looks good enough for image based tools, so I might play around with this next.

EDIT: DIP1 relates to a time limit.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
1. Hasami Time Limit
2. Hasami Limit
3. Hasami Syougi Level
4. Hon Syougi Time Limit
5. Hon Syougi Level

Hasami and Hon are 2 different variants of syougi, so they only affect a certain type, hence the overlap.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Ohh, forgot to ask, did you know whats written after the 10 and 100 on the first 2 dips? I guess on the others its 'level'.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Ohh, forgot to ask, did you know whats written after the 10 and 100 on the first 2 dips? I guess on the others its 'level'.

10 seconds is the first one. The character after 100 is the connection participle, but literally means on. You'd be alright leaving the setting at 100.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Good work tw3ek!

Next you and Raz should work on the Samuarai Shodown RPG translation!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Great stuff, one final question tw3ek. In the first soft dip picture above unofficialitguy posted, what does the text say in the last option of the first picture (has down arrow on left of it)? I guess its related to Hasami somehow? Is there an english translation of 'hasami' also?

Raz

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
1 player time limit is the final setting

Edit because I missed the hasami question. Hasami is like "sandwiching", since to capture pieces you must enclose an opponents tile either horizontally or vertically.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Thanks so much for the help Tw3ek, this is how I have got it at the moment. pity there is a 12 character limit for each text.

Attachments

• moshougi000.png
    moshougi000.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 72
  • moshougi001.png
    moshougi001.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 73

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
How about this minor tweak? The first DIP is very much helped by the word "seconds" in the setting itself. The very last DIP fits exactly.

eFCJaEu.png

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I have it like this now, what you think?

Attachments

• moshougi002.png
    moshougi002.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 47

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
It reads very well!
I definitely like the idea of using the switches themselves to save characters (e.g. no need to have Hasami Level Level 4 repeat). Removing 1P on DIP 8 makes sense, too. Looking at it again, I'm not sure why they felt the need to clarify when there are no others for 2P.