Super Sidekicks 2 NeoSD Pro Graphics Issues

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Just noticed this. I tested on the NeoSD Pro both the AES and MVS versions. I tested the MVS version in two different MVS boards.

In Super Sidekicks 2 on the NeoSD Pro the zoom effect on the field is like freaking out and not staying where it should be. It's playable, but pretty glitchy looking. I tested it against a real Super Sidekicks 2 MVS cart on the same system and had no such issues.

The problem doesn't seem to effect any of the other Super Sidekicks games, as they use different engines. Anyway, try loading the game up and see for yourself. I'm curious if the non-"Pro" NeoSD suffers from the same issue, or if it's the rom file I'm using or what.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
No one? Someone please load up Super Sidekicks 2 on your cart and let us know. I think it may be an undocumented incompatibility.

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
Looks like a regression or incompatibility on NeoSD Pro. :unsure:

Flash CartFlash Cart FirmwareNeo Geo BIOSSS2 Glitch
NeoSD Pro AES1.07 R08UniBIOSSS2 field flickering
NeoSD Pro AES1.07 R08Stock BIOSSS2 field flickering
NeoSD Pro MVS1.07 R08UniBIOSSS2 field flickering
NeoSD AES1.06 R10UniBIOSNo issue
NeoSD MVS1.06 R10UniBIOSNo issue

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Thank you! I didn't know it was documented. Where is it listed?

Last night I noticed a similar, but milder issue cropping up on Super Sidekicks 3. It's not as consistent, so I'm not sure if it's just something SS3 normally does sometimes. It was enough to make me get out the original MVS cart and use that.

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
It's not documented, at least I'm not aware. Those are just my test results. I also tried on ram and flash slot. Same issue.

I'm afraid it needs to be reported on discord, since TO does not have even have a forum anymore. They can't handle public criticism. :giggle: And fw updates seem not to be part of their "customer service". :LOL:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
So this isn't a regression. The Pro and the regular SD's fw aren't connected.

What this is a problem caused by the insertion of the in game menu and/or in game trigger. The regular neoSD doesn't have them and the Pro does.

Disable them and the problem is fixed.

ps: someone brought this up in the discord just now and we diagnosed and solved the issue in like 15 minutes. No one from TO is around any more to watch a forum so the discord is a much better place to solve issues like these.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Explanation from neodev:

Yes, in game menu can cause issues with some games. It happens because unlike megasd, neosd can't peek the controller accesses, because the cart doesn't expose the full bus
So it needs to run a piece of code to check for the different button combinations
If in game menu is enabled, it runs every frame, otherwise it runs every 120 frames

This is not important for the majority of games
But super sidekicks use the raster interrupt for the pitch 3D effect
They program the interrupt timer to 'trigger xx lines from now' for example 100 lines, and then every line, and adjust the x and zoom values ox the pitch sprite for the 3d effect
In game menu messes the xx lines from now, because when that call happens, the NeoSD code has already run, and spent some cycles, which means it also happens some line (or lines) later, causing misalignment of the effects
Game doesn't check which line is on to apply the effect, but blindly trusts on the hardware triggering interrupt at the exact requested line
And it worsens if you enable cheats, as they est more cycles

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Yay we did it!

Now to abandon SS2 and play the superior sequel The Next Glory