Super Neo 29 Type 2 - Won't Play MVS (MV1F) Board

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Solved

Sorry to make a new thread, but I felt this was a different enough topic to warrant it.

So, the legacy of me learning about these Hyper 64 Type 2 cabs continues. I got the monitor chassis back from PNL and it works. The Hyper 64 is just beautiful running in it. But here's the weird part - when I plug in my MV1F board I get the scrambled picture you see in the screenshot below. I'm baffled as the pictures Ken provided of the cab was running an MVS board with King of the Monsters. I've also seen plenty of pictures from around the internet with these cabs running single slot MVS boards.

I've tried multiple games with the same result. My MV1F works just fine on my two Dynamo cabs (HS1 and HS5), and my Supergun, so I know it's not the board or any of my games. I've tried switching the board to both Stereo (MVS) and Mono (Jamma), but I come up with the same screen. I can't enter test mode or anything.

At first I thought that the monitor was running a higher res, but the Hyper runs at 15hz, correct? And Ken had used an MVS in the cab to sell it because he didn't have a Hyper board to throw in. Other Jamma boards also will not work, though.

I've read that the Super 29 Type 1s are made for multi cart boards which use a slightly different pin config - so, wondering if that's the issue here? I've just seen so many pictures of these cabs running an MVS I don't suspect that's the issue.

Thoughts?

20210519_113130.jpg

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
My first thought as well, check that +5V out with a multimeter and see where it’s at.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Thanks all! My other cabs have have been tested in the past and they are fine, but I did fail to test this guy because of all the issues I ran into when I first got it - getting the monitor access panel unstuck was the worst of that.

Turns out, there was only 4v going to the 5v rail! I have no idea how the Hyper was working perfectly, but got it at a steady 5v and everything works as it should now. I'll make sure to test this first thing if I get any other cabs. This is my first candy, so it took me a while to figure out the "V.Adj" was the voltage adjust, haha! I've only used US PSUs in my Dynamo cabs and this is a different beast all together.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Thanks all! My other cabs have have been tested in the past and they are fine, but I did fail to test this guy because of all the issues I ran into when I first got it - getting the monitor access panel unstuck was the worst of that.

Turns out, there was only 4v going to the 5v rail! I have no idea how the Hyper was working perfectly, but got it at a steady 5v and everything works as it should now. I'll make sure to test this first thing if I get any other cabs. This is my first candy, so it took me a while to figure out the "V.Adj" was the voltage adjust, haha! I've only used US PSUs in my Dynamo cabs and this is a different beast all together.
Weird the Hyper worked at 4v considering they are so touchy with getting solid power. Def not what you'd expect