Super Neo 29 LCD Problems

cgbartek

Crazed MVS Addict
I just picked up a Super Neo 29 type II yesterday and I'm having problems getting the LCD display working. It's getting power because it lights up, but I can't get it to show anything. I discovered it was unplugged in the back, so I hooked it up, still nothing. There are switches inside the cabinet that are supposed to control what gets displayed on the LCD, but it's labeled in Japanese so I'm not sure what does what. I tried randomly flipping switches, nothing happened. I tried plugging video into the composite ports and flipping that switch, nothing.

Maybe someone has a translation for the switchbox inside the cabinet, or someone else with a Super Neo type II can tell me what their switches are set to?

Here are some pics:

sn29.jpg

sn29 panel 2.jpg

A bigger version is here.

Thanks,
Chris

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Ok,

The upper left switch is the one you want to play with, toggle it left and right until you see video in the lcd.

I responded to your email, but from looking at your setup, it looks like it may be wired a little differently than mine. I don't see a jamma harness running from your lcd control board to your motherboard? As you look at the below pics there is a jamma harness that connects on the back of the lcd control board via molex connectors and leads off the left side and connects to the motherboard. Of course I could be wrong, all I can see in your pic are the gray wires that should connect the lcd control board to the lcd and the jamma harness going off the right side connection to the cp/monitor. More info please.

DSCN3265.jpg

DSCN3266.jpg

DSCN3267.jpg

DSCN3272.jpg

DSCN3273.jpg

DSCN3269.jpg

DSCN3264.jpg

cgbartek

Crazed MVS Addict
Okay, I checked the JAMMA harness and as it turns out, the panel was completely bypassed and connected to itself. So I got it fixed so that it goes from the board to the panel, to the cabinet, but it made no difference :( I tried setting the panel up the way you did, and flipping the top left switch a few times.

I don't know if something is wrong with it, or what. When I got it, the two connectors that go to it in the top were disconnected up there, so I reconnected them. Also, the harness appears to have been hacked in some way, and the extra +5 has been removed. Why? I have no idea. Now I find out the panel was bypassed. Not sure what the person who owned it before me was trying to do, but it plays Hyper-64 Revision 1 just fine.

Well anyway I've got more pictures, you'll notice that on the molex JAMMA harness, a couple of wires have been cut. No idea what they're for or if they have anything to do with it. I'll see if I can double-check all the wiring later today and see about undoing whatever hacks I find.

Panel
Panel zoomed in
Back panel

Chris

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Yep,

I figured that it was bypassed, I just couldn't tell for sure from that first pic. I checked mine and none of the wires are cut, so if you rewire those cut lines your lcd could display video again. Hmmm? Was the cab from a arcade or private owner? Oh well, let us know how it goes?! :smirk:

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
That has got to be one of the sickest things Ive ever seen on a candy the two of you are very lucky to have such bad ass equipment!! an LCD where the marquee is......... Amazing.

cgbartek

Crazed MVS Addict
Okay, I tried hooking those wires up to two wires that were the same color and had previously been cut, but all that did was stop the test and service switches from working. So that has nothing to with video apparently.

This cabinet came from a collector who was going to turn it into a dual-screen MAME cabinet, but I was able to save it from that fate before he started doing anything. He figured since he couldn't get the LCD up either he'd just put a computer LCD up there, which isn't a bad idea if I can't get this thing working. The guy he got it from was a Neo collector who paid around $2000 for it, so he either imported directly or got it from ArcadeInfinity or something.

I'm guessing it's been turned into JAMMA, then back into MVS at some point, but I don't see why that would keep the LCD from functioning. Like I said, when I got it it was completely disconnected almost everywhere except for the power, so I'm left to think it stopped working long ago :(

Any other ideas? I'll keep playing around with it, but I don't know what else to do with it. Sucks, because I can't just buy new parts for it, heh.

Thanks for all your help,
Chris

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Yeah, thats a bummer, all I can think of is to rewire everything as MVS. I checked the back of my lcd and yours is plugged into the right slot and there is only the one way to connect the jamma harness on the back of the lcd control board. Try taking off the grey wires and see if there are any breaks in the lines and test it with a volt meter to see if anything is wrong with any of the wires. Question, when you have everything connected, does the cp panel/monitor still work?

Wow! One of the previous owners paid $2000 for this cab?! I paid less than $400 from arcade infinity.

Last edited:

cgbartek

Crazed MVS Addict
Yeah I think maybe one of the harnesses is wired for JAMMA, not sure if that would be causing the problem, who knows. On that top back panel, I have a molex connector that doesn't connect to anything, do you have one of those? I think it's for setting the speakers for mono or something... maybe a previous owner created this for JAMMA compatibility and had those hook up to the harness.

When I get some free time I'll definitely check the wires with a voltmeter. But yeah, whether or not the harness is going through the switch panel or not, everything still works fine, so it's not like the panel is completely dead or anything.

Chris

cgbartek

Crazed MVS Addict
By the way, you got an awesome score for $400. I paid $500 + $150 for the Hyper kit and I thought I was getting a good deal, hehe. I figured I had to get it since you don't see one of these cabinets every day... sucks the LCD's not working, but I still love it.

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Yeah,

Mine had an extra molex connector as well and I traced it down. It is for the speakers, something to do with Hyper Neo Geo 64 mb audio. I just bypassed it completely and wired in a mono/stereo switch. I even wired in another little switch on the jamma connector and I can switch between jamma & mvs.
I was thinking about getting some of the manual translated, I think if I scan it I could have it done on one of those free online translators. Worth a shot. If not, I just get one of the japanese workers that come up here for one of the fisheries to do it. Hah, it will probably just cost me a case of beer or something :smirk: .
Hey, try inputing composite video from a different source on top of the lcd control panel to check if the lcd works at all? Just a suggestion, I'm sure if you keep at it you'll get it going ;).

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Don't they sometimes wire the LCD to a Camera on single player panels??

So you can see the person on the other side.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Don't they sometimes wire the LCD to a Camera on single player panels??

So you can see the person on the other side.

Yes they do, I have one of these cabs and there is a video camera to the left of the LCD monitor this would link to player 2 cab.

cgbartek

Crazed MVS Addict
I have a camera on mine as well, but the thing about those is you have to own a second Super Neo cabinet and a special switch panel to get it working, from what I understand. Has anyone successfully gotten the camera to work?

Thanks for the info on the extra molex connector. I tried using the composite ports and flipping the switch to the right, but I didn't get anywhere with that either. Oh, well, I'll keep trying different things....

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
cgbartek said:
I have a camera on mine as well, but the thing about those is you have to own a second Super Neo cabinet and a special switch panel to get it working, from what I understand. Has anyone successfully gotten the camera to work?.

You can always improvise.....

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Chris,

I would recommend tracing all of the wires with a multimeter. Do it in small parts, for example follow the wiring for each of the RGB colors from the jamma harness to the LCD and monitor. Do the same for power. If all of the wiring is good, I would begin to test the PCBs that control it. It may be a simple problem such as a cracked solder joint, or a broken pin header.

Best of luck getting it fixed, I'm rooting for ya :glee:

-Bill