Super HD System 3 Pro

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
HDMI support and SuperGrafx support are pretty amazing. True firsts.Although I wish it output 1080p, like other console mods.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Want it. SuperGrafx support and NES is cool, too.

I like the concept of playing the entire lineup of PC Engine games off'f the OG PCE.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
They make cool products but offer shit customer support. Seems like they also like to step on people's toes.

This is no longer news. Keep buying from them if you want but proceed with caution.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Yes support is dead now on Terraonion.
Forum is closed and they use only online chat (n)
Lazy support. Don't buy from them anymore.

Robert

20 Year Member
That's quite impressive but more than 230 euros for this system is quite high.
A modified PC Engine can be bought for 160 euros even if it won't come with the HDMI port.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It sounds like the SuperGrafx support is just all FPGA, not using any of the original hardware. Probably the only way to do it, but I feel less impressed now.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Gotta say that it does kinda look cool. The regular ass Turbo Ever Drive works way, way, way too well and is so lightweight though. Obviously, you don't get CD games, which is a deal breaker for some, but you get Ninja Spirit, so what else do you even need?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
It sounds like the SuperGrafx support is just all FPGA, not using any of the original hardware. Probably the only way to do it, but I feel less impressed now.
Where are you seeing that? In the video they mentioned that they were leveraging as much of the console as possible. Is there somewhere that they say it's all done on the fpga?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Where are you seeing that? In the video they mentioned that they were leveraging as much of the console as possible. Is there somewhere that they say it's all done on the fpga?
You can't "leverage" more of the PC Engine to play Supergrafx games. It's not possible. It has to be in FPGA, making up for the hardware differences that the original PC Engine lacks. I don't care what fancy fluff Todd may say, it's not a possibility for the original PC Engine hardware alone to play Supergrafx games. NEC upgraded things with four times the work RAM and a second video processor with its own video RAM. Where would that difference be made up? FPGA.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
You can't "leverage" more of the PC Engine to play Supergrafx games. It's not possible. It has to be in FPGA, making up for the hardware differences that the original PC Engine lacks. I don't care what fancy fluff Todd may say, it's not a possibility for the original PC Engine hardware alone to play Supergrafx games. NEC upgraded things with four times the work RAM and a second video processor with its own video RAM. Where would that difference be made up? FPGA.
I guess it was the way Neo Alec said it that got me confused, is all. I don't think anyone would think the PCE would magically start playing SuperGrafx games, even if they asked it super nicely. I don't know much about the SuperGrafx, but doesn't it still use the CPU and the graphics processor from the PCE as well as the new stuff (additional RAM and graphics processor)? That's what I mean by 'leveraging as much of the console as possible'.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Anyone else find it funny they stated RGB video has no standards/quality to adhere to and took three revisions to even remotely fix (with help from Voultar sexually).

Suddenly they are experts on it and offering shit the OSSC, Mister, and RetroTink do in some capacity. On top of having some blu-ray logo man case that totally matches pc engine color.

sign me up dick faggotsin

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Such jaded cynicism. Shame.

Attacking people for not being idiotically up for every stupid waste of money that comes out...such suspension of critical thought, at any age, such a shame.

There is another one of these stupid zombie system hack things every month. There’s no point in giving a shit about how amazing this one is because there is just going to be another even more amazing one up for preorder soon. This shit NEVER stops. There was once a time when the PCE hardware family was considered so complex that even its own user base got confused. Now there are twice as many aftermarket flash/scaler doodads than even NEC ever would have made and none of it made to quality.

My interest in real hardware, CDs and cards has never been greater. They are what they are forever.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
HDMI 720p is pointless. Most people will already have a GBS, RT5x, or OSSC that will get you 1080p or higher. SuperGrafx support is a gimmick, there's only 6 games that use the hardware.

I’ve been into PCE since 1992 and I don’t even know what GBS/RT/whatever the fuck even is. You may be assuming too much. Many many millions of gamers never fell down the HDTV portapotty shithole and still just plug the machines straight into displays, many gamers don’t photograph their collections for Likes, etc.

The Supergrafx was a huge mistake on the part of NEC (very hard to blame Hudson for this). The only SGX games that exist are very unimpressive and it takes a real PCE vet to even be able to detect the SGX features in use...but supporting it is a legitimate function and not a gimmick in any way. I don’t know why you would say that. It’s needed to play those five and a half lame games and implementing it must have been some serious work. I’d never use it even if I had it, but it’s a good feature.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Attacking people for not being idiotically up for every stupid waste of money that comes out...such suspension of critical thought, at any age, such a shame.

There is another one of these stupid zombie system hack things every month. There’s no point in giving a shit about how amazing this one is because there is just going to be another even more amazing one up for preorder soon. This shit NEVER stops. There was once a time when the PCE hardware family was considered so complex that even its own user base got confused. Now there are twice as many aftermarket flash/scaler doodads than even NEC ever would have made and none of it made to quality.

My interest in real hardware, CDs and cards has never been greater. They are what they are forever.
Sorry I rustled your jimmies. Sad.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It only took you half a week to come up with that 'cutting' reply. Good job, bud!

See, that’s what I’m talking about. It wasn’t supposed to cut. It was a genuine request. Do better.

Clearly you’ve decided you’ll be my enemy and fuck with my posts, it happens, but you never get around to making a point other than “you’re old” which is pretty brainless and discriminatory. I don’t care if you flame everything I post, just please do a good job. This forum deserves the best. There’s already enough thought-free one liner idiocy online. For example, “boomer” is an actual term with an actual definition. It’s not a general use term like “shithead”. “Caveman” would be better or “Luddite” or “no-nothing”. Boomer is used for people who are literally decades older than me. It’s...just dumb and incorrect to use that term on someone who wasn’t born until the 1970s. I’m not a boomer any more than I’m blonde or Martian. You only insult yourself with that kind of off the mark thing. You’re just going to have to accept that plenty of people of all ages don’t like some of the things you like. It’s not one single category of old haters. There are lots of guys in their 60s who have bought every flash card ever made and will buy the next one even though half of them don’t work anymore. There are 20 year olds that only play real carts. Your worldview is glaringly incomplete and defective.

Pointless praise is fine, preferable maybe even to some people. Insults should always be as logically water tight as they can be and your canoe is at the bottom of the pond.

I responded to this point now, not because I’ve been pondering replies, but because it hasn’t been bumped. I really only look at new posts and I mainly ignore yours. It was other people liking my post that make me come in here and look at it and then I actually read your brief thoughtless comment.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I'd genuinely like to know how boomers even entered the conversation. Believe me when I say I don't think you're old. Your posts are meandering and juvenile.

I've been buying carts and other physical media my whole life, it's only in the last few years that I'm starting to switch over to flash carts and ODEs. Too much hassle with skyrocketing prices and pirated games. I just want to play games. The games are more important than the media. The system doesn't care what the device the ROM is delivered from.

There have been some legit critiques of both TO and the device, I've left those posts alone.
The rest of you need to get a grip.

I'll spend my money on what I want, and I expect you'll do the same, so consider taking a chil pill, bud.

Last edited: