Suggestions/Feedback Thread for "'Best of' NG.com Threads" Forum

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Having said that I do like the forums. Just got a NGP color and some games and I've just bought a MVS, supergun and 161in1 cart.

And now you want to buy MORE but can't pm people because you're a noob.
Tragic, really.

mer-curius

n00b
I'm sorry to post in here, but my account has just been activated and I'm not being able to open a new thread or contact any users from the forum (I would have sent a private message to a moderator if I could).

What should I do to be able to contact a user? Do I need to have a certain number of posts? Should I wait 24hs after the account activation?

Where can I have more information about this?

I've taken a look at some topics from the FAQ section and didn't find anything related to these limitations I am experiencing.

I hope anyone could help me.

Thanks a lot in advance for your attention.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I'm sorry to post in here, but my account has just been activated and I'm not being able to open a new thread or contact any users from the forum (I would have sent a private message to a moderator if I could).

What should I do to be able to contact a user? Do I need to have a certain number of posts? Should I wait 24hs after the account activation?

I've taken a look at some topics from the FAQ section and didn't find anything related to these limitations I am experiencing.

Read more and contribute. Then you can start buying stuff.

this isn't your personal shopping site.

p.s. you obviously didn't read the site faqs thoroughly.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member

OMG ban pls

mer-curius

n00b
Thank you and help

Read more and contribute. Then you can start buying stuff.

this isn't your personal shopping site.

p.s. you obviously didn't read the site faqs thoroughly.
Thank you so much for your reply.

I didn't register to buy or sell anything in the first place.

I saw some posts from a user concerning some specific hardware characteristics from the NGCD gaming console released in Brazil and wanted to contact that user about that. The thread in which he (or she) had posted was already old and I wasn't sure whether bumping it could bring his/her attention to it again. I suppose he/she may have a personal site but it is offline, so the only option I had was registering and trying to reach him/her from the private messages system.

Here is the thread I am talking about. The member is "metallizer" and his last post is from 2011: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?227879-Neo-Geo-(cd)-Do-brazil

Unfortunately there seem to be some limitations for new users because I'm not being able to access any members' profiles and neither create any threads.

I posted here because of the words "feedback" and "suggestion" I saw in the heading, otherwise I didn't have many options to contact any moderators, and I didn't think it would be a good idea to contact the webmaster (shawn@neo-geo.com) just for that, right?

Please could you point me to the rules about these limitations I'm experiencing? I couldn't find them by myself and would really appreciate if you could help on that.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and assistance.

PS: you could transfer this discussion to a thread called "Help for new members" (or anything like that) in this section should you think theses posts are getting this thread off-topic.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I know what bi-curious is but what is mer-curius? Do you want to get it on with mermaids? Me too.

Email Shawn.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Here is the thread I am talking about. The member is "metallizer" and his last post is from 2011: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?227879-Neo-Geo-(cd)-Do-brazil

It can't hurt to bump the thread. You seem to have some valid new info so it's okay to do so, whereas it is frowned upon to bump a thread with a stupid me-too or single-word post.

Unfortunately there seem to be some limitations for new users because I'm not being able to access any members' profiles and neither create any threads.

We did this because we want people to start discussing things first and become part of the community before they start threads or jump into the Marketplace. This place has a long history of idiotic newbie behaviour so we had to implement these limitations in order to protect legit members who come here to meet and talk with like-minded people.

I'm sure you have good intentions but I fear that we cannot grant you any more rights than other newcomers.

mer-curius

n00b
Thanks!

It can't hurt to bump the thread. You seem to have some valid new info so it's okay to do so, whereas it is frowned upon to bump a thread with a stupid me-too or single-word post.
Thank you. I was afraid of doing so at first once many forums prohibit such behavior even when the new post may have a valid purpose or adds new information.

However it would be easier if I could contact the user directly from the private messaging system once he may not have subscribed to that thread or he may be away from the forum for a while.

We did this because we want people to start discussing things first and become part of the community before they start threads or jump into the Marketplace. This place has a long history of idiotic newbie behaviour so we had to implement these limitations in order to protect legit members who come here to meet and talk with like-minded people.

I'm sure you have good intentions but I fear that we cannot grant you any more rights than other newcomers.
I understand. But I think users could be told about this either when they register, in the FAQs or when they are presented the "you do not have permission to access this page" message. Some new users may not follow the rules, but we should not assume all of them would act like that, therefore they could be told about these limitations and their reasons.

There are other limitations I'm seeing, like I can't access my own profile and my posts in this section don't seem to be counting.

There could be a pinned thread in this section containing such information, because other new members might come with the same doubts in the future as I have.

Thank you again for your response and for considering my suggestions.

PS: by the way, I was about to email the webmaster about this, but I thought I could wait some more time and see if a moderator would answer me (fortunately you did!). Besides webmasters are generally busy with many things so I refrained emailing him too soon.

PS: you can move these posts to a new thread in this section once I posted in here just because of the words "suggestion" and "feedback" and because I couldn't create a new thread in here.

james88pc

n00b
I just joined this forum and wanted to post a new thread but it doesn't give me that option. I wanted to PM a moderator for help but I don't see that option either. Help Thanks

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I just joined this forum and wanted to post a new thread but it doesn't give me that option. I wanted to PM a moderator for help but I don't see that option either. Help Thanks

You just got the answer on the posts above you :-)

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
You just got the answer on the posts above you :-)

You expect them to do research?

They just want everything handed to them on a silver platter and apology for any inconvenience the rules have caused.

Zero06

n00b
update permissions!
Im a new member here trying to get my hands on a jamma pcb to neo geo cabinet adapter, Id like to post in the want to buy section but I cant make a want to buy post. I understand it probably has to do with my new status and lack of post count but this is the mopst annoying thing with joining new forums. in all honesty what do you want me to do just spew nothingness and verbal diarrhea into random threads until I can make the post that I wanted to make when joining in the firstplace?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
update permissions!
Im a new member here trying to get my hands on a jamma pcb to neo geo cabinet adapter, Id like to post in the want to buy section but I cant make a want to buy post. I understand it probably has to do with my new status and lack of post count but this is the mopst annoying thing with joining new forums. in all honesty what do you want me to do just spew nothingness and verbal diarrhea into random threads until I can make the post that I wanted to make when joining in the firstplace?

Please go before you hurt yourself.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1766740 nice posts btw. Pretty obvious what you are trying to accomplish.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
in all honesty what do you want me to do just spew nothingness and verbal diarrhea into random threads until I can make the post that I wanted to make when joining in the firstplace?

We want you to register here because you want to be part of the community, not just because you want to buy a certain item... that should be an extra, not the main reason.

Vas

Marked Wolf
update permissions!

If you want that try eBay . Google etc . If you want to get banned carry on posting shit

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...this is the mopst annoying thing with joining new forums. in all honesty what do you want
me to do ... ?

What should you expect from a fraternity initiation?

1. The initiation reflects the character of the group you're joining. If your group markets a lot,
expect flipping to be a part.

2. It will be the same thing others went through. Part of becoming part of a group is the
shared experience of being banned/raped to/in the War Room.

3. It will have some sort of challenge, i.e. tons of heavenly deals, you won't be able to even
sniff at.

4. Initiations are much less effective and transformational if you know the whole plot
beforehand. Expect butthurt mob to surprise you any given Sunday.

These events should make you feel uncomfortable. That's a good thing: transformations,
learning, internalization all takes place when you are moved off the spot and out of your
comfort zone. But--and this is important--uncomfortable is not the same thing as
dangerous. If you feel you are in danger, stop. Ask them to stop. If they won't, then...
get out.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
neo-geo.com/fraternity - I'm game.

claude the boat!!?!
Spoiler:
tumblr_mnmrrxHQCi1rjjqqqo1_400.gif

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You're gonna be spanked first then sent to New Zealand to learn what NOT to do and then sent off to Germany so Tak and Shroom can 'adjust' a few things. Then and only then shall you be accepted into the marketplace. Damaged, jaded and full of love for this place.

NEOFREAK9189

Sakura's Bank Manager
20 Year Member
finally I back to this page after 2 year am: I promise to contribute