Strikers 1945 II scores & strats

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
Gameplay-wise, they are identical as far as I know, so if you have a good offer for a s1945ii PSX version, you should probably pick it up.

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks, Tak!

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Abasuto said:
That score is insane.

It looks like the world record is: 3,421,900

According to Gemant's site..

whitey

NEST Puppet
After my first couple plays....

whitey- 433,000 - 1/4 - Hayate - Original PCB

I'll try and work on this crap score over the weekend.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Updated.

How someone can score over 3 mill. on one credit is beyond me. The 2nd loop is stick-bitin' difficult, the dive bombers and bullet patterns become highly aggressive, and don't get me started on the bosses... definitely made for the ultra-manic shmup freak with a hand-eye coordination like a Shaolin monk.

My personal goal is to beat the 1st loop and perhaps the 1st mission of the 2nd one, anything else would be just wishful thinking... :)

whitey

NEST Puppet
whitey said:
After my first couple plays....

whitey- 433,000 - 1/4 - Hayate - Original PCB

I'll try and work on this crap score over the weekend.

Got a little better afer a few more plays....

whitey- 566,900 - 1/6 - Hayate - Original PCB

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
And another update.

Today, I finally broke my own hiscore and reached 800,600 pts. (died during the 1/7 boss battle), but because I have no digicam, I'm thinking of switching to the mame version to be able to make screens of my score entries. So, take this as an "unconfirmed" score...

Thinking of my run of today, the deaths were avoidable, I just made the mistake to take a quick look at my current score, and after breaking the 800k barrier, I got nervous and lost my last life shortly before the boss exploded, he already was flashing red, dammit.

VNM

n00b
Thank you for the compliments about my score, it was a lot of work :) I've been stomped by Ex Mosquito lately with his 2-ALL, crazy... For the 2nd loop, you really have to play like a machine, loose plans just don't work.

I don't play anymore, but I'll try to answer questions.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
strikers3.jpg

713300 Hayate 1-7 MameOx

Finally got the extra life that made me boost quite a lot my score ;)

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
12 – AER – 391,200 – 1/4 - Shinden - PSX

I felt like such an idiot; if anything, overconfidence is my weakness. I made it pretty far without dying and then before I knew it I had messed up. Ah well, always able to try again, I know I can do way better.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I can't remember it exactly, but I'm 100% sure it was 329xxx

I'm guessing it was 329200 using hayate

I've been playing it in tate mode, now I can't go back

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
12 – AER – 391,200 – 1/4 - Shinden - PSX

I felt like such an idiot; if anything, overconfidence is my weakness. I made it pretty far without dying and then before I knew it I had messed up. Ah well, always able to try again, I know I can do way better.

Holy crap, I just used the Flying Pancake on just my first run...got an even 411,000 and got to 1/4 again. Good thing you didn't put up my old score yet, Tak.

I won't post anymore until I get something more worthy :mr_t:

I've got nothin but respeck for the FP now.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
just a random note that I don't think has been mentioned yet - the US PSX version's "Original 1" mode differs slightly from the arcade version. Because the screen is shrunk, the same safe spots won't apply. :( I don't think I ever found an easy pattern for the first part of the 1-7 boss (on the cannon). Overall I'd say this mode is tougher, so I'll never understand why I was able to get my highest score this way. I'm soooo inconsistent at this game. :( Maybe once I'm done with my little diversion into Raiden Fighters 1 and Raiden Fighters Jet, I'll start picking this up again in MAME and try to beat my old high. Or at least try to 1 credit the first loop again, christ. That's still the only time I've done it (not counting the one arcade machine I played on that was set on 5 lives). I'm much better at doing the first loop of Strikers 1999 ;)

Also, I always seemed to have better results with the Shinden than the Flying Pancake. Maybe I just liked the fact that the super shot did huge damage quickly, but yeah... I'd rank it as #2 behind the infamous Hayate.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Updated.

Yeah, most strategic movement infos do not apply to the original 1 screen mode. They work with original 2 because the level has the original size, but the extra scrolling which is needed to make it work in yoko mode leads to very tricky situations in some cases.

Perhaps I should add a "screen mode" column to the hiscore list.

What mode(s) do you console/mame players prefer?

About the Pankcake, I love it, it's just that it's slightly too quick in some situations. However, tapping through fast scatter bullet attacks is easier with it... I wish I could use Hayate in normal game and the Pancake in boss battles... :)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Damnit, I died again right at the beginning of the 7th stage:

strikers4.jpg

Managed to improve score, but very slightly :crying:

716200 Hayate 1-7 MameOx

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I was trying to use various planes and it just seems that the Pankcake has an easier time surviving. With very strict collision detection Psikyo games seem to reward inaction rather than action so a homing primary seems essential. I'd like to able to play better with Mosquito or Folke.

Picture052.jpg

503200 Pancake 1-5 PSX

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
...and another update.

moonwhistle, the inactivity you're talking about is just one side of the coin. While some bullet patterns can be overcome by standing on safe spots or tapping, it's quite important to know which enemy plane/ground unit to attack first in later levels. This requires you to a) memorize certain enemy or bullet patterns, and b) take initiative and play offensively to some extend.

For example, some of the bigger enemy planes release two vertical streams of bullets while hovering in the middle of the screen, thus limiting your movement to a small area to the left or right. In this case, trying to sneak past all those criss-cross bullets on a per-reaction basis is possible but considerably more difficult than attacking and destroying tougher enemies before they get nasty.

Anyway, you're right tho, a good homing weapon comes in handy in most situations, another reason why I love my Hayate... :D

Kiken

Camel Slug
Finally decided to Tate my TV for a bit, and figured I'd give Strikers 1945 II a go (between all the rounds of Gunbird 2). Only got to play it once this afternoon due to some guests coming by... and I played rather miserably (2 totally stupid deaths).

Kiken
Saturn
Arcade screen format
Ki-84 Hayate
Stage 1-8
974,300 points

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Updated.

Nice score there, Kiken. The hunt for the top-3 is on!

Last edited: