Street Fighter CPS1 graphics glitch

MuppeT

War Room Troll
I just added a new board to my collection, but sure enough it has some issues :blow_top:
There is some glitch with the graphics and misplacement can be seen. Sound and everything else is good.
The board is in mint brand new condition and I would love to get it fixed. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong and how to mend it ? :scratch:

WP_20150129_004.jpg1.jpgWP_20150129_002.jpgWP_20150129_003.jpg

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Try another A board and if that doesn't work.. then try another C board.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
That looks weird, it seems as if one of the maskroms could be misplaced... but in that case more graphics should show up misplaced.
Check the order of your maskroms to discard that problem. I think the correct one in SF2 should be the following:

1 2 9
5 6 13
3 4 11
7 8 15

If you have other CPS1 boards you could also try replacing the IOB1 PAL with one from another working board, in order to discard any problems with it.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
That looks weird, it seems as if one of the maskroms could be misplaced... but in that case more graphics should show up misplaced.
Check the order of your maskroms to discard that problem. I think the correct one in SF2 should be the following:

There is more than one board config for SFII. They also used the 4M Mask Rom type as well later on. He has the earlier World Warrior pcb.

First thing I would do is reseat your socketed Mask Roms, Eproms, and PALs. Wouldn't hurt reseating your A, B, and C boards as well.

Last edited:

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Thanks for feedback guys.

So I removed the eproms and reseated the eproms on the B board- No fix. Then I reseated the 3 boards- No fix. Finally I got an A board from my magic sword and the issue with the graphics is gone. So it must be the A board that is the baddie.
Any ideas if this is fixable and how?

a board.jpg

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
A boards are a huge pain in the ass to fix which is why no one does it really. It's sometimes the custom chips themselves.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
I like to gently pitch them into a Rubbermaid bin from a foot or two away.

As a latch ditch effort you can try to boost the voltage up to like 5.35V and see if it helps.

Last edited:

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
This looks like certain sprites aren't being read / written to properly. First things to check would be video RAM (likely), or pins on the A board being bent / out of place (unlikely). If flexing the board or pressing around the graphics area fixes it, look into reflowing the custom CPS graphics chip.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
This looks like certain sprites aren't being read / written to properly. First things to check would be video RAM (likely), or pins on the A board being bent / out of place (unlikely). If flexing the board or pressing around the graphics area fixes it, look into reflowing the custom CPS graphics chip.

I am not very familiar with the cps1. What one is the custom cps graphics chip?
Shaw I pop the whole A board for 10 mins at F*385 in the oven or that is a bad idea?

bustedstr8

Probably not the best idea. You can cut a hole in some tin foil and hit the Grafx PPU (square chip w/ 4 sided pins) with a hot air gun set at around 600F.

Did you try upping the voltage yet? Old boards will often have components drift out of spec and the added voltage can sometimes correct that problem. You never want to go over 5.5V that's when the stuff gets toasty.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Probably not the best idea. You can cut a hole in some tin foil and hit the Grafx PPU (square chip w/ 4 sided pins) with a hot air gun set at around 600F.

Did you try upping the voltage yet? Old boards will often have components drift out of spec and the added voltage can sometimes correct that problem. You never want to go over 5.5V that's when the stuff gets toasty.

Nope I haven't tried it. I don't have the means to do that :( All i got is an enclosed supergun.

bustedstr8

Maybe it's time for some hot and ready CPS1?

oven_opt.gif

MuppeT

War Room Troll
ok so I re-flowed the board - 7 minutes in the oven at 375 . No change. Still has the graphics glitch :(

bustedstr8

Welcome to the wonderful world of CPS1 Muppet....get that Rubbermaid bin ready :keke: