Steam Deck Portable PC Games Hardware

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
i dropped my deck last night, but everything seems fine. nearly had a heart attack when it happened, also with the vampire survivors clones are they dual stick shooters or more they are trying to copy vampire survivors style and content?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
They’re trying to emulate Vampire Survivors. One I played did have a twin stick style attack.

I had also been playing the game Cursed to Golf, a roguelike where you golf lol. Mechanically I think the game is really excellent. The gameplay is top notch and really fun but I don’t think the game benefits from the roguelike formula. Most roguelike are based on (eventually) being able to do pretty fast runs whereas in this game a run would take you hours. You probably won’t sit down and beat it in a single sitting like you would in Hades or Binding of Issac. You also really don’t get progressively stronger as you play. You can save some one-time use items from run to run but in practice I found that not useful as I never got to a point where I would want to save those items, I always wanted them for my current run. Really think this would have been better as single player game where you went for high score. Really sucks to play for an hour, lose to the boss, then have to play an hour again, only to…lose to the boss again.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Playing CrossCode at the moment. I know it’s older and been on switch and steam for a bit but it was on sale.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I installed Duke Nukem Forever for shits and giggles. Pretty bad. I haven't been in the mood to play much on it. Tales of Arise might be my next one to dive into.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I installed Duke Nukem Forever for shits and giggles. Pretty bad. I haven't been in the mood to play much on it. Tales of Arise might be my next one to dive into.
i am playing Bioshock, and it feels great on the deck, I still need to install duke nukem.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Ended up opening my steam deck. Mostly playing xbox cloud, its so much fun.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Mine's on the way. Will likely end up being a spare PC for LAN parties and fighting game get-togethers but look forward to taking it on a couple vacations.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Mine's on the way. Will likely end up being a spare PC for LAN parties and fighting game get-togethers but look forward to taking it on a couple vacations.
it is great taking it on vacations especially while waiting for a plane.

100proof

10 Year Member
Got mine, plugged it in, set it up and did a quick run on Streets of Rage 4. Really nice screen and it's sturdy without being overly bulky. We'll see how it holds up over longer play sessions (as well as how it does with more mouse-centric games like Civ 6) but I certainly prefer it over the Switch.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If i got one the first thing I’d throw on there are the Ys games. PSP 2022.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
had it on preorder (the most expensive one) but decided to cancel it, I think this thing will age like fine milk (also could use the money for my gas and power bill). i barely play games anyway these days.

100proof

10 Year Member
Splitting my time between Dead Space and Octopath Traveler. I've struggled a little with the controls in intense moments of Dead Space (sensitivity of the analog sticks isn't always great) but it's otherwise been pretty smooth so far.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
All models of the Steam Deck are straight up available for sale now.

Great time to pick up one, the $399 version is a steal particularly if you’re willing to upgrade the storage yourself. There are quite a few drives proven to work by the community to get up to 1TB storage onboard.

Steamdeck dock is also available for sale for $89. I bought one, will report when it arrives. I want to play some RTS games lol.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Tempted by the dock, but not sure what extra it offers that the $40 equivalents on Amazon don't

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My speculation: it’s makes a profit for valve and has the “official” tax added on. No way they make a profit on the $399 deck itself.

I did see a lot of good reviews on the various JSAUX docks. Chinese company making docks specifically for the deck. Seem like every week they have a new hardware model or revision.

Why I bought it? Because I know it will work and I’m lazy/don’t have to read reviews or shop around even if it’s the inferior product.

I may also own Apple products for that reason :emb:

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
yeah saw the steam deck dock, i was wondering also what it added i have an ivolver dock which is great and does the job fine, also the latest stable update came with a host of improvments for docking.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Valves Dock does come with an additional power supply which is nice. I am curious to use the deck as a “pc” - I’ve hooked it up to a monitor a few times but still physically held the deck and used it as an oversized controller.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Valves Dock does come with an additional power supply which is nice. I am curious to use the deck as a “pc” - I’ve hooked it up to a monitor a few times but still physically held the deck and used it as an oversized controller.
how did you find using it like an oversized controller?