Square gate vs Octagon gate?

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
On my Japanese arcade sticks I've never been able to consistantly do 2x :qcf: or any variation. I mostly play charge characters in Capcom fighters though, so square gates were GREAT!

Most of my SNK fighters were played on my Amercian MVS cabinet (which I'm going to be selling).

Since most SNK characters are a variation of the traditional :qcf: movements, I decided I'm going to try out an octagon gate in my sticks.

It came in the mail today from LizardLick and it works GREAT.

Issue I have is doing hyper hops, and overall movement but motions for moves come out fine. I think I'll adapt.

So now my question is, for those who use Japanese parts, Square or Octagon?

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Octagon gates here. Not much of a fighter, but never had issues doing what I intended to do.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I'm currently using a square one, is there an advantage between one or the other?

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I'm currently using a square one, is there an advantage between one or the other?

squares help you feel out the corners more. The octagon gates feel more natural for quarter circle movements. the square ones you have to do a quarter circle without touching the sides. it's pretty much a preference thing.

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
From another thread...
One other note on the different restrictors... Images borrowed from slagcoin

circle_gate.png

octagon_gate.png

square_gate2.png

Square gate gives you the most physical area for each input to register.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I prefer square gates for the two reasons posted above. I tend to ride the gate quite a bit and my moves come out just fine. I also like the (slightly) shorter throw.

I play fine on any gate though, no complaints from me. When I set em up though I go LS-32 with a square gate. Sanwa buttons.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
I currently have square gates but I generally prefer oct or circle gates. I need to be able to feel a relative sense for left or right like I get with oct-gates.

As for why I don't have some now, i'm just too lazy to order them since i'm not really playing fighters at the moment.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
switching to octagon has me having trouble in SSF2T with guile
:downb::downf::downb::upf: Kick

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I like the Octagon gate more but most of the people who i play w/ prefer square so i ended up just keeping the square gate on the cab...

My most preferred is P360 circular no gate...

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
square dog. Hit those corners hard... more precise control for me. But its just a matter of personal preference, one is not more "official" then the other.

christoph

Hardened Shock Trooper
Are there octagon gates for the LS-32? I bought some round ones but never saw any octagons.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
In-between. I ghetto mod my sticks by raising the shaft slightly so that they don't actually reach the corner of the square gate anymore. This way I can do circular motions easily without being unable to find the corners, which is a problem that octo gate may run into.

As an added benefit, the deadzone is smaller because the actuator is closer to the microswitches, but the throw is larger because the ratio between the length above and below the pivot is greater. So performance for both fighters and shmups are better than standard configuration, rather than having to trade off one aspect for another.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
square dog. Hit those corners hard... more precise control for me. But its just a matter of personal preference, one is not more "official" then the other.

well, I'd say Sanwa tend to be stock with square. No?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
well, I'd say Sanwa tend to be stock with square. No?

SNK machines came with Seimitsu parts, Capcom panels too up until the SF4 panel. Sega machines I'm not sure I think Sanwa mostly, Taito's def stock on Sanwa. All square gates I think but octos can end up on any of those machines.

switching to octagon has me having trouble in SSF2T with guile
:downb::downf::downb::upf: Kick

try something like
:downb::hcb::upb: in one motion, that's how I crank em out.;)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I really have no problem with any of them but I just really like the way the octagon gates feel. I dunno, I just like the "clickyness" to it, Square gates feel so restrictive, I guess I'm wrong about that given the numbers and all but the feel of it is meh. My game shines the best with Happs Supers, but that's a whole different subject.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other, as laways when all is said and done it's always a matter of prefference. For example I like the LS32 but I preffer the JLF and I like the feel of the JLW even better but the peroformance isn't that great with an oval gate but with the square gate the JLW runs pretty damn smooth.

Just my 2 cents.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I suppose it depends on the game. I seem to do better with Octo/Round though (for fighters). Square gates work best for shooters, IMO.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
just after practicing a bit more, my super in SSF2T with Guile's back to fairly consistent.

As such, I think all my future sticks will have octagon gates. I've never played on a Seimitsu stick, I think my next one will use it.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I have a square gate. At first it was really awkward and it did not feel natural to have a corners while doing round movements. Feels great now. I think after a brief period of figuring it out it honestly doesn't matter. My 2 cents would be to go with the norm to avoid too many issues with changing up styles

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I gotta advice against that 'cause you'll never know what's your cup of tea. Some people play better on some setups vs others, it's just a matter of finding out, plus part of the fun is experimenting I say. It's a journey this hobby of ours. Master Yoda's own words while playing Defender.

Game Rat

n00b
IMO square gates are the way to go. I like to feel the corners. I think it's harder to block on Octogates.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
in training mode I can do any move on command but I choke while fighting still...-__- Oh well. I'm gonna try the korean sticks too sometime.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I prefer square. Not sure if I've played on octagon before. Circle gates really mess me up.

drauch

n00b
Square for me. Octos aren't too shabby, but I feel I always overthrow on them compared to the simplicity of square.