Speaker Questions on MVS 4-Slot

TrackZ

n00b
As of 1:00 today, I'm the new proud owner of a 4 slot MVS system. I've been looking it over and lining up the to-do list in my mind.

One of the items is to replace the speakers. I was looking around online and most everything I see in 4" speakers are 4 ohms. I did some searching through this forum, but couldn't find a definitive answer to these questions. Help would be appreciated:

1. Is anyone successfully using 4 ohms speakers in their MVS system despite the 8 ohm factory spec?
2. Would this be a problem?
3. When buying new speakers, are there any concerns for shielding for the monitor or will any 4" car audio speaker pretty much work?

I'm looking at these Sony's right now. Sweet red color to match the cab.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Ah, great question. I myself am a bit of a dip shit when it comes to this kind of stuff, so I would love hearing an answer as well.

I have been wondering if a nicer set of speakers would improve my audio as well. The ones that are stock in the 4 slot seem a bit bright to me.

If anyone knows, there are at least two of us that would appreciate to hear from you.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Thanks a good question..Congratulations on getting a cab..

I don't think the lower ohm speakers would do any harm.,but what the hell do I know..I'm no tech..

Help Techs.................................:)

Rick

Crazed Addict,
I replaced the speakers in my cab with some old Altec Lansings I had laying around the house. The sound did improve somewhat; it became clearer and crisper. What I did to REALLY improve the sound was wire a subwoofer tube to the headphone/memory card board. I love feeling the "thump" when you give or recieve a hit.
These speakers were 8 ohm though. I think you should be using shielded speakers in you have the smaller 4 slot, the one where the speakers are located right above the monitor. If you have a 4 slot with the speakers up top, you should be ok with non-shielded speakers.

TrackZ

n00b
Well, with some research I answered my own questions, so I'll give the info to help everyone else. Most speakers you find are 4 ohm and unshielded. They're like that because they're for automotive applications. The factory speakers in the Neo MVS system are shielded, so it's probably best to stick with shielded speakers. Also, the amps in the MVS cab are probably not the greatest either, so having them drive 4 ohms isn't such a good solution either.

I ordered these today: Tang Band W4-656S

They're full range (65-15000Hz) and have decent specs. They're a little big on the face (4 15/16"), but the actual speaker dimension is rated at 3 3/4" which is exactly the opening already cut in the MVS cabinet. These should go a long way to improving the audio vs those factory speakers. I'll have them in a day or two and will post some info after they're installed.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
I slapped a pair of JBL 5.5' Loud series car speakers in my SC-19 with an MV1-F in it and they work like a charm ,theyve been going strong since 2000 now. Depending on the cabinet and location of the speakers to the monitor you may need to use shielded speakers. I dont have any issues in this area myself and I know in the Red cabs it wont matter either due to the distance between the speakers and monitor.

Cant remember right off the top of my head ,but I think they are 8 ohms :)

TrackZ

n00b
Got the Tang Band W4-656S speakers today from PartsExpress.com. Just installed them, and they fit like they were made for the cabinet. Sound is much improved. It's clearer. No crackles. More bass and not overly bright. Just need black screws since they mount from the front, not the back. They even look cooler through the baffles.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
TrackZ said:
Got the Tang Band W4-656S speakers today from PartsExpress.com. Just installed them, and they fit like they were made for the cabinet. Sound is much improved. It's clearer. No crackles. More bass and not overly bright. Just need black screws since they mount from the front, not the back. They even look cooler through the baffles.

Cool..

I had my cab cranking loud today playing Kof 00..I can see a need for more bass...I'd want that..

I wonder if the extra power usage to produce more bass would heat anything up more than normal and burn something out..

Rick

Crazed Addict,
Well, the bass tube I used is designed for car use, so it runs off the 12v, and I cant quite remember, but either I had an extra 12v lead from the power supply, or I didn't connect the 12v. I've had absolutely no problems at all. You could probably pick up a cheap tube for like $50-$60.