Sound Problem w/my MVS Cab.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I have a four slot cabinet that is exhibiting some sound problems. However, the trick me be that it's not sound related at all. About a month ago, the cabinet started emitting a really high pitched whine (like the noise an old TV might make but louder). Y'know, that "video" noise, for lack of a better word? I don't think it's the coming from the speakers. When I tip open the control console it get louder, which makes me think it may be the monitor (Christ, I hope not). Anyway, any ideas on what I shold be checking/looking at? It's not the mini marquee illumination, which whines like a mother (I unplugged that right anway).

I'd love some suggestions as the whine is distracting when playing.

Thanks!

RyoGeo

I had one other question. It seems that my left speaker is more quiet than my right. Is there a way to balance out the sound output?

RyoGeo@aol.com

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
If it's coming from the monitor, I would say that the cap is about to go out on you. I don't have much experience on these, but it should be repairable? Try contacting a local TV repair shop.

Jeff

RyoGeo

That's what I was afraid of. Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a cap?

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
A cap is a Capacitor. Usually in the arcade world, 'cap kits' are installed into monitors that start exhibiting problems, like they are producing a hum, or the display is not working correctly. I do not know the specific, but I do know that there are kits available for all kinds of monitors, and this is a common practice in the arcade industry.

Keith

RyoGeo

Hey, that's great Keith. I know just who to call in town to check on pricing. I just hope that's it.

BTW, is it hard to install? Any soldering or is it just screws?

-RyoGeo

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Not a clue what is involved in installing a cap kit, just that it can be done, and it is very common.

Keith

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
"Cap kits" are also known as "get-well kits", and as others here have already stated, they're used to restore life to distorted, aging monitors. However, if a monitor it too far gone, not even a get-well kit will fix it, hence the whole monitor will need replacing. Also, I'd like to offer a word of caution regarding monitors: around 30,000 volts lurk around the electronics of an arcade cabinet's monitor. You can get your arse blown off if you're not careful around that area...

RyoGeo

LOL! Thanks for the tip on saving my arse, DL. Hopefully, it isn't too far gone in that I am not even sure that it is indeed the monitor that is making the high pitched noise. It probably is, but not positive yet.

The weird thing is, the picture is PERFECT. The cab just makes that annoying, high pitched sound. Oh well. I guess I'll have to take it to somebody or try not to blow my arse off.