Sound out in cab.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Have an MVS4 big red that a few weeks back had tried a new Tetris board in there (via adaptor). Sound was really screwed up and figured the board needed some repair work.

Today, went to play some MVS carts and noticed no sound at all. If I toggle the volume on the MVS board, I don't get anything - not even a crackle.
Tried different cart combos and nothing.
Went into jukebox mode and the first time got the message in the picture below.
The second time I tried, I got into the cart through jukebox and it was supposedly playing but no sound.
Tried a third time, and got the error again.

Any ideas? Battery seems fine - no leakage. Has to be something with the cab I would think since jamma boards (via adaptor) are not working anymore either. Sorry to be naive - haven't dug into this cab really to be honest - do these guys run up to an amp that might have took a dump?

Anyway, here's the image (click through for full size):

UPDATE/EDIT: I tested out some more JAMMA boards. Sound is working at the cab level. Something is just broken at the MVS board level I guess.

Last edited:

jew90

Geese's Thug
Is the Hardware test disabled in the unibios, i think this is a default setting..?

The Z80 which is responsible for sound can die after a while (i believe the reason given is that SNK used them at a speed faster than they are supposed to run at so they eventually burn out)

If you have the hardware test enabled, a problem with the z80 should give you the aptly named 'z80 error'

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Checked and nothing was coming up via HW test or during boot if I enabled HW test on boot.

Moved some carts around again. Nothing.
Reseated the two MVS boards and that seemed to do it (for now).

Thanks for the suggestion. If the problem comes up again I'll look into the Z80.

Still not sure why that error was coming up. Never have seen that before even if a cart or seating issue was knocking out audio.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Swap in your stock bios and see if you get a Z80 error. The unibios bypasses it.