SOTM February 2022: Batsugun Special - Raffle Underway!

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Yooooo, you all are going bananas! Love to see it! Scoreboard updates coming soon!

I've definitely formed some thoughts about which ship slays the hardest, etc. I'll post my thoughts on that soon too.

Ajax

15 Year Member
In a lot of ways, this feels like the prototype to Donpachi, which makes sense, since Ikeda was the main programmer on this one (probably you all know this, if not, Ikeda was the main programmer on Batsugun :)). The ship types basically map over to Donpachi ship types 1:1. The explosions sound pretty similar too. Seems like some ideas that would go on to kinda form the STG landscape were taking shape here.

On ship type - I think Type C is the most effective. If you hold button 1 down, you fire the laser type shot, which is very strong, but if you press button 1 rapidly, you fire a pretty brutal spread shot. This saved my ass a lot in later levels.

These are just my noob ass thoughts, so don't take 'em as gospel, but the popcorn enemies are likely what's going to take you out in the later levels, and they're often in the periphery. Type B wide shot sucks (and I think isn't even existent until you level up a bit), which increases the risk of getting popcorn'd even more.

Also, if I had to take a guess, I would say that Iceman is inspired by Yoshiki from X Japan:

Portrait-Iceman.png

yoshiki.jpg

Also, scoreboard updated!

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Had one last good credit last night before packing it in. If anyone wants a real quick 1-all, this game is it. Naturally it only gets nastier after that with savage suicide bullets...

egg_sanwich - 6,113,020 - Stage 8 - MAME

Attachments

• 0E38DAF2-0119-41B8-8C13-606E8C7944B1.jpeg
    0E38DAF2-0119-41B8-8C13-606E8C7944B1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4

Ajax

15 Year Member
Dude, nice! I'll update once a couple more scores come in!

Ajax

15 Year Member
Get that 1 all Doggy! 🙌

Edit: Scoreboard is current!

Last edited:

Ajax

15 Year Member
Oh, also, I think we need to discuss how your ship literally fist pumps when you dump a bomb in this game:

Hxw0Kpk6h9g6UV3G34x5JkCEMiT5qxapHKLwkfzy4kE68Iashkqf5leFQwUK-28-sg-l8fNiO1utR70xnQMqDoDWHl1Mn0...png

I feel like this pretty accurately captures the overall feel of the game, haha. Pretty dope!

Ajax

15 Year Member
Scoreboard updated!

Five 1 alls in as many days of this SOTM. That's that shit 😤😤😤

Wonder if we'll see some more clears today??

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
OK ok, I'm glad Batsugun Special happened because this is some quality forum community participation.

@FREEMAN get your little faggot ass in here because this is one of the last good things about the forum. So pull up in your Mame Machine and play along.

I'll try to post some scores tonight or tomorrow, my goal is to at least maybe get 1mil . . . :^)

Ajax

15 Year Member
Also, I'm planning on updating the scoreboard tonight 👍👍

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
gusmoney-1,459,480-Stage 4-Saturn

Cx3XBDEm.jpg