Sony ZN-2 hardware info request

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
I'm having a hard time finding info on this motherboard.

Specifically looking for info on:

--> what the DIPs do exactly

--> can you change resolutions (http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=797 suggests that the mobo is capable of it, not sure if this feature is on every game or if anything ever used it...??)

So far I can confirm that contrary to some stuff I have read the ZN-2 motherboards are not game specific. I have 1 motherboard that works with Strider 2, Tech Romancer, Tetris GM, Rival Schools and Star Gladiator 2.

thanks in advance, I'll keep googling as well.

Last edited:

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
still can't find info on if the games can be displayed in hi res, there is a video out connector on the mobo, 4 pin I think, maybe 6, don't recall.

I assume that this could be used or maybe was intended to be used.... any way there seems to be no info out there, if anyone has anything please let me know.

thanks!

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Hard dips aren't used (according to my Rival Schools manual) and not sure about the video...off the top of my head the only 4 pin connector on the mobo is for stereo sound from the on board Q sound.

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
Hard dips aren't used (according to my Rival Schools manual) and not sure about the video...off the top of my head the only 4 pin connector on the mobo is for stereo sound from the on board Q sound.

thanks, yeah I expect it was a feature that was just not used, too bad, but still really fun games.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Bumping this since I am looking for the same info.
Did you ever found out if the extra video connector on the board outputs a higher res image?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
to the best of my knowledge the game had to support the higher resolutions, which none did, this was sony trying to muscle in on the hardware market, so the hardware didnt last as long as maybe they wanted it too :/

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Ah good to know, saw a few places mentionning 15khz/24khz, but no mention whatsoever about that or the connector in the manuals. Its a shame, some games would have benefited from the extra res I think.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
yea all the G-net software could have used a tuneup :lolz: but it looks like sony was trying to create a new hardware platform that alot of companies could use. tatio and capcom being the big boys using it
I will say when using the tatio g-net top board, switching dip switch 4 on the blue set near the middle will set it to service mode
46b41765.jpg

Last edited:

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
I also have this motherboard and I use it for Tetris GM & Rival schools, you can access the settings, freeplay through your typical coin/service switch just like CPS2 hardware. also I noticed when playing Rival Schools, the game does switch automatically to some sort of higher resolution in comparison to Tetris GM. i'm guessing one of those dips is monitor flip.

I just put Tetris in today, the game is sweet.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
With Strider switching all 4 dips got me into a screen testing mode, I guess service mode. Switching dip 4 alone didnt do anything.