Sony WEGA CRT issue (curving along the top, can't set UPIN right)

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
Hi guys,

Picked up a cheap WEGA CRT (KV-27FS120). Using the 240p test suite (amazing!) I set up most of the geometry, however I can't seem to fix the last few issues.

Basically, I can't get the top of screen right. It bows in a weird way (the grid bows out towards the top of the screen ever so slightly) and the pinning is impossible to get right. It looks like I need to increase the upper pin parameter, but doing so doesn't solve the problem, it just stretches the corners out.

Any ideas? I can probably live with it but it would be nice to really get it perfect.

7xiWQWJh.jpg

mikey

Marked Wolf
I have a KV-27FV300, looks almost identical to yours and has the exact same issue. I found a way to make it quite a bit better, but I can't remember off the top of my head what the setting was that fixed it. Unfortunately, I can't check for a while because of work and other commitments (probably until Monday) but if nobody helps you solve this by then, I'll check it out and let you know how I adjusted it.

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
Cool, was it a physical adjustment or a service menu adjustment? I've gone through just about everything in the first service menu (the basic geometry ones).

I've also noticed that convergence isn't great around the corners.

mikey

Marked Wolf
It was a service menu adjustment, I missed it the first few times I was trying to fix it. Hopefully I can find it again. It didn't fix the problem per se, but it did help it quite a bit. I've also noticed the corners/edges are either out of focus or have poor convergence on my set. Not sure how to fix that yet.

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
I'm thinking this is just a general problem with these Wegas.. because I got two more and they all have pretty much the same problem! Might just start looking for another CRT line. I'm thinking I should just bring my Supaboy along with the 240p Test Suite and start checking all the flat screens until I find a good one.

Good thing the city takes these things away for free...

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Is it only the MVS that does it? A lot of CRT's have issues with Arcade PCB (including MVS) sync signals that cause that curling at the top. Most likely the vertical hold.

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
I'm using SNES systems.

Upon doing some more research, it seems that "WEGA is the best" is just plain wrong. Everyone who is picky is noticing that there's horizontal bow that's unfixable at least in the 27" range (since there's no horizontal geometry settings). Longer threads on AVSforum and such talk about this.

So I brought my Supaboy with the 240p test suite, and I checked out a flat CRT Toshiba in a pawn shop today. It was way, WAY better than the WEGAs in terms of both convergence and geometry. Unfortunately it had a scratch in the glass so the search continues.

Seems like what I might end up with is a non-flat CRT, but they're a little hard to find with a component input. I just got some RGB->Component stuff so that's a must.

mikey

Marked Wolf
Alright, I just had a moment to test it out, and by adjusting the "HOSC" setting I was able to basically correct the problem of bowing at the top of the screen. I had to crank it all the way to it's max at 15 though. The convergence issues on the edges have to be corrected through physical adjustments I believe. Hope this helps you out.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I had this issue with a Trinitron and was able to fix it in the service menu too. Just dig up the service manual and spend some time setting up your screen. I used the 240p test suite to do it. The Wegas are the best TVs out there, and this is simply a calibration issue that is easy to fix.

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
I had this issue with a Trinitron and was able to fix it in the service menu too. Just dig up the service manual and spend some time setting up your screen. I used the 240p test suite to do it. The Wegas are the best TVs out there, and this is simply a calibration issue that is easy to fix.

I don't think you read the thread.