Sony reduces lifespan estimate of PS3 - The 10-year plan scrapped

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's not 2006 anymore.

edit: god, must I always be the voice of reason and sanity

:tickled:

Somehow...I find you being coupled with "reason" and "sanity" to be a strange combination...(thinks of Sama cross dressing pics taken from the rear)

J. Max

judas,
I though I heard a while back that the PS4 was just going to be a hardware upgrade for the PS3. That was a while back though, maybe that plan is gone now?

All new consoles are essentially hardware upgrades of the old ones...

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
haha, £209 for a PS3..

you yanks crack me up.

Why wouldn't you buy yourself an HDTV first?

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I was 100% convinced that my 360 would die at some point within a couple years, but it's been over two years now and it's still working. Even my 1996 Playstation still works. Nothing I've ever owned has broken. The hype about breaking systems has let me down.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I was 100% convinced that my 360 would die at some point within a couple years, but it's been over two years now and it's still working. Even my 1996 Playstation still works. Nothing I've ever owned has broken. The hype about breaking systems has let me down.

I never had a problem with my PSX.

My PS2 won't read some games, same thing happened to my Xbox also.

360 has fucked up on me twice.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well, I've had two PS2's go out, and I'm afraid to even buy an Xbox 360 even now... but my launch Playstation 1 is still kicking... what an awesome machine. And to the people who say that a lot of launch PS1 systems failed... people who didn't know any better used to set the damn things on the carpet along with their Nintendos and Segas ( :tickled: ). :shame:

GodOfHardcore

Galford's Armourer
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/9976-sony-reduces-ps3-lifespan-estimate/

Make no mistake, this is only the BEGINNING of Sony's waffling on their stance that PS3 would last ten years.

PS4 will be launched as early as 5 years after PS3, which means PS4 could arrive as soon as 2011, since PS3 launched in 2006. The latest PS4 will arrive will be 2013, which would be 7 years after PS3.

Even if PS3 lives a total of 8, 9 or 10 years, the PS4 will come 5-7 years after PS3 launched, because the next-gen Xbox is due to be released in 2011 or 2012, given that Microsoft wanted 6-7 years for 360's lifespan.

Or maybe there won't BE a PS4

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Shame Sony kept changing the product so often. They should have never gotten rid of the $300 model.

Wal Mart had a week long promotion to get the PS3 for $399...and they gave you a $100 gift card with it. I bought groceries with the card (something I was getting anyway) thus the $299 price.

I don't believe I've ever seen a PS3 for $299 retail.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Are you trying to say that Sony intends to release a new system every 5 or six years?

*gasp* Those money-grubbing bastards! Why, Nintendo never did such a... wait, they did. Well, Sega never... wait, yes they did. Then, surely Microsoft...

The lifespan of the PS2 wasn't planned on. Sony may have hoped for a second homerun with a PS3, but there's no chance they ever counted on it, regardless of what announcements they may have made.

400 bux is retarded for a ps3...

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the concept of inflation. You can keep $400 in your pocket for five years, and it won't be worth as much a few years later. What's the most you ever paid for a console, and in what year?

Last edited:

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I don't believe I've ever seen a PS3 for $299 retail.

Well that's what you were implying.

Good deal you got though. I'm still going to wait until I can walk in a store and hand them $299 no strings attached.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Well that's what you were implying.

Good deal you got though. I'm still going to wait until I can walk in a store and hand them $299 no strings attached.
Yeah, it must've been a raw deal to buy something like food. Talk about being forced to buy something. :scratch:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
None of my systems have cracked yet and I won all the current gen shit and the previous gen as well. Now I'm not to tech-saavy so I'm wondering with all the power the PS3 is suppossed to have why bother making a newer model, hell! Isn't the PS3 hardware way more advance than the X360? I mean if MS is so cheap and all, do you really think their new console would be able to surpass the PS3 specs?

My only gripe about the PS3 is that no one worth a while wants to design for it 'cause apparently is hard as hell, the dev kits are expensive and PSN rather sucks, but don't get me wrong I like my PS3 and it's backwards compatibility (I have the 60GB) I also like the fact that it's region free, but so far that has meant very little 'cause the library it's rather dull.

Lucky for me I only paid 200 bucks for it, so I'm quite happy if it remains as a B-Ray player.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Imagine the price of a 2600 adjusted to inflation.

Price should be the last factor of what system(s) you own.

The controller and games are most important to me. Never got into the n64 because of the controller although I still have mine (Mario Kart is still a blast).