[SOLVED] Ultimarc Dreamcast Adapter's audio is freaking LOUD on my CPS2 cab

aclbandit

Another Striker
I just picked up one of the Ultimarc Dreamcast-to-arcade monitor adapters, and the video (while in need of some adjusting -- perhaps higher gauge wire?) is perfectly acceptable.

The audio sounds fine too, except that the folks a few states over can hear it. I need some way of turning it down.

The headphone connector looks as follows:
Top:

Bottom:

My phone camera is horrendous; I apologize for the low quality.

My guess is that I just need to wire a potentiometer somewhere around that headphone jack. Can someone point me in the right direction? I don't know what value potentiometer I should get, what type, or how exactly to solder it in.

The cabinet is a Big Blue CPS2 with a Q-sound amp. The amp doesn't seem to have any volume controls, since CPS boards (and most boards, as far as I know) have some kind of onboard volume pot.

Last edited:

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
How are you hooking this up to the cab? Does the headphone jack terminate to RCA jacks? Judging from that pic I assume that connection to the convertor is not using a standard headphone jack?

aclbandit

Another Striker
How are you hooking this up to the cab? Does the headphone jack terminate to RCA jacks? Judging from that pic I assume that connection to the convertor is not using a standard headphone jack?

It IS actually a standard headphone jack, and I just used the same cable I had lying around for my DC VGA box that does the headphone jack-to-stereo RCA thing. That is, it's a cable that is headphone/PC jack on one end and two RCAs on the other.

Doesn't matter how, I just need SOME way of changing the volume, because at that level it WILL blow my speakers.

Is there some kind of a digikey part I could get that is like the rotating volume control that's on some headphones' cable, and I could just put it in the middle of the headphone-to-RCA cable?

EDIT: also, the CPS QSound adapter is made to receive stereo RCA, in case that wasn't clear.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
That is exactly what I was going to say you need if it was a standard headphone jack. That is why I asked what you had because I figured you would have thought of that already, no offense.

aclbandit

Another Striker
That is exactly what I was going to say you need if it was a standard headphone jack. That is why I asked what you had because I figured you would have thought of that already, no offense.

None taken -- I'm truly amazed at my ability to miss the obvious.

Picked one up from RadioShack today, and it works beautifully.

Thanks for the perhaps-unintentional nudge toward a solution, especially one so simple as this.

[SOLVED]