Solution for Nascar's post-season

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Every time I read a paper, they are trying something new.

Now they are trying to end the season with some complicated series where they run multiple heats during a race. They think that is what the fans want.

I say at the end of the season, take the top 10 drivers and put them into a demolition derby. Maybe even a tournament series where they have to battle it one on one.

That's what people want out of auto-racing anyways. Lots of crashes.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
on the last lap of the Daytona 500, there should be a brick wall erected at the finish line.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is the stuff that will cause Nascar to self implode.
We can only hope.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I didn't know these rule changes would affect the fans from getting mullets, drinking Bud and smoking Winstons all day. Maybe they should implement more right turns to lose that particular stigma.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This is the stuff that will cause Nascar to self implode.
We can only hope.

Honestly, I cannot understand why it was (or is) so popular. Have you ever sat all the way through a televised NASCAR race? It's freaking horrible.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Put guns on the cars, the rednecks love that shit.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Has there every been a National sports organization that has completed folded? I feel like this is going to happen with NASCAR.

As uncool as it is to admit (online and in person) I am a huge NASCAR fan. It has been the only sport I have watched regularly pretty much since birth. There are so many problems I don't know where to begin. I guess the biggest problem is the technology. In modern racing, things are pretty much out of the drivers hands performance wise. It isn't about who can wheel the car the best, it is about which team has the best cars and technology. Since this is so expensive, teams need drivers that can bring sponsors to them. Since driving ability doesn't mean as much, the sport is getting bogged down with drivers who are where they because their parents own a million dollar company who can afford to pay for the car.

All this leads to NASCAR doing all kinds of crazy stuff points wise to make the racing "better" when it reality in just confuses everyone. I don't expect this years changes to be any better- on the surface it is already way more confusing.

NASCAR needs to go back to their roots- problem is I am not sure they can.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Every time I read a paper, they are trying something new.

Now they are trying to end the season with some complicated series where they run multiple heats during a race. They think that is what the fans want.

I say at the end of the season, take the top 10 drivers and put them into a demolition derby. Maybe even a tournament series where they have to battle it one on one.

That's what people want out of auto-racing anyways. Lots of crashes.

The bolded portion is an absolutely dumb statement to make. While there's a small contingent of fans that live for crashes in all forms of motor racing, most don't want to see crashes due to the potential for serious or even fatal injury.

Honestly, I cannot understand why it was (or is) so popular. Have you ever sat all the way through a televised NASCAR race? It's freaking horrible.

Attend a NASCAR race in person, you'll understand why it's popular. Until you see cars doing north of 190MPH at a place like Daytona when guys are less than a foot away from each other, it becomes easier to appreciate what you are watching. Motor racing does not translate well to TV because conveying the visceral experience thru TV is impossible. It's the same reason why people who watch the Indy 500 on TV don't always think much of it. Bring those people to IMS for the 500, and when they see the cars doing 230MPH in front of them, along with the wind and sound it brings, it becomes a completely different experience. I've sat through plenty of NASCAR races, some are good, some are not so good.

NASCAR's problems currently are self-inflicted, and have a lot to do with Brian France. He took over from his old man Bill France, and has little understanding of the sport his family owns. He has been throwing endless shit at a wall for years now, and doesn't understand why they are losing fans. Once you alienate the diehard/core fanbase, you're going to have little ability to attract the casual fan. This latest effort to spice things up is probably going to result in a massive ratings drop due to the convoluted shitfest it is. Attendance and ratings have been on the decline for awhile now. Brian France spent $400 million to renovate Daytona Speedway the past few years, and it was not money well spent from my POV as Daytona hasn't sold out in a long time IIRC. If NASCAR wants entertainment, they need to move away from the current cars, and go back to low downforce cars as they were 25+ years ago...and running cars that actually look closer to their "stock" counterparts would do wonders. Most of the problems in 4-wheel auto racing today has to do with aerodynamics side of the car design. It does not facilitate interesting racing most of the time, and turns into a question of who has the most money to refine existing aero in order to find those precious tenths or even hundredths of a second in lap time.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Attend a NASCAR race in person, you'll understand why it's popular. Until you see cars doing north of 190MPH at a place like Daytona when guys are less than a foot away from each other, it becomes easier to appreciate what you are watching. Motor racing does not translate well to TV because conveying the visceral experience thru TV is impossible. It's the same reason why people who watch the Indy 500 on TV don't always think much of it. Bring those people to IMS for the 500, and when they see the cars doing 230MPH in front of them, along with the wind and sound it brings, it becomes a completely different experience. I've sat through plenty of NASCAR races, some are good, some are not so good.

I'll admit that...

I went to the Indy 500 for 4 years in a row back in the early 2000's. It was really fun, I'll give it that. It was also quite the spectacle. I tried watching it on TV later and yeah...not so much.

Now...Formula 1 is a different situation....I actually do enjoying watching it on TV from time to time...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The only Nascar races I enjoy are the road races, where suddenly turning right makes half the field crash.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

I'll admit I'm not in tune to anything NASCAR other than a cursory amount of info, but you're right. Watching it on TV doesn't do anything for me, and a lot of other sports are like that, too. Some of it is preference, sure, but being able to watch it on TV with more interest has to change to attract casual fans, right? Or at least be the first step.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
I'll admit I'm not in tune to anything NASCAR other than a cursory amount of info, but you're right. Watching it on TV doesn't do anything for me, and a lot of other sports are like that, too. Some of it is preference, sure, but being able to watch it on TV with more interest has to change to attract casual fans, right? Or at least be the first step.

Ball and stick sports translate very well to TV. NFL/NCAA football in particular as watching a football game in person subjects you to endless dead time that you don't have to deal with on TV thanks to replay. I have zero interest in attending baseball, basketball, hockey, football, and soccer games in person, and would rather watch on TV at home or in a bar than waste money on tickets (along with the other costs of in-game attendance).

Motor racing is a different beast. Sure you know they are going fast, but TV does an awful job of relaying sense of speed due to having no ability to compare that speed to stationary objects. TV cameras are constantly tracking the vehicles, so speed relative to other objects is impossible to discern. In the case of Formula 1, the directional changes of the cars defy belief. You cannot believe a car can change direction as quickly as a Formula 1 car, and remain perfectly stable when a road car would have spun out.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Make IndyCar great again.
The changes to that series in the last 5 years has been huge. Way more interesting than Nascar.

IndyCar/CART is a good lesson as to what can happen if Nascar people don't get their ideas aligned.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Make IndyCar great again.
The changes to that series in the last 5 years has been huge. Way more interesting than Nascar.

IndyCar/CART is a good lesson as to what can happen if Nascar people don't get their ideas aligned.

CART was in an altogether different situation than NASCAR currently is.

You have to remember CART was beginning to displace Formula 1 as the premier open-wheel series on the planet just 23 years ago. Tony George became to preoccupied with trying to drive costs down, and thought he could do it by splitting off with IRL and denying CART access to IMS. All he did was create a war that saw no winners, and the end result was the death of open-wheel racing in America. Well the Ilmor/Mercedes loophole for the 1994 Indy 500 was the straw that broke the camel's back for Tony George. A pity. But it was nice to see IMS with over 300,000 last May for the 500. I hope they can keep that kind of attendance going as that's how it used to be throughout the entire month of May years ago. Massive crowds for qualifying thru the actual race.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Has there every been a National sports organization that has completed folded? I feel like this is going to happen with NASCAR.

United States Football League
World Football League
XFL
United Football League
North American Soccer League

Then there were all the leagues that had full or partial mergers with the more established ones -- the American Football League(s), the All American Football Conference, the World Hockey Associaton, the American Basketball Association, etc.

The Arena Football League also folded for a single year in 2009, but came back and is now a sad shell of its former self (1987-2008).

Indycar racing leagues seem to die out all the time

And women's pro soccer leagues are generally short lived

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Interesting, thanks for the info. Hopefully NASCAR doesn't join the list.

Most fans also want more short tracks and less cookie-cutter mile and a half circuits. A good chunk of the tracks is owned by the same group (Speedway Motorsports) so it makes changing the schedule very complicated.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The National BASEketball League had the best rules ever. teams cannot switch cities, players cannot be traded, and individuals cannot make money via corporate sponsorship deals

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
You could make ASSCAR a bit more interested if there was...you know...corners.

In all seriousness though, Motorsport as a whole world wide is dying a slow death. Seems to be a combination of technology taking over too much from the driving skill, younger audiences not having the patience to sit through it and it not living up to what they can experience in a computer game. A big part of the attraction of watching Motorsport used to be the brutality of it, it was spectacular. A lot of that is lost on the YouTube generation.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Make em drive stick, increase the engines to 14 cylinders with turbos and give em a pint of whisky and a cigar. RACE!

DangerousK

20 Year Member
You could make ASSCAR a bit more interested if there was...you know...corners.

In all seriousness though, Motorsport as a whole world wide is dying a slow death. Seems to be a combination of technology taking over too much from the driving skill, younger audiences not having the patience to sit through it and it not living up to what they can experience in a computer game. A big part of the attraction of watching Motorsport used to be the brutality of it, it was spectacular. A lot of that is lost on the YouTube generation.

WRC and MotoGP are as enjoyable as they've ever been.

If you want really enjoyable racing, watch MotoGP. It's far and away the best race series on the planet currently. Has everything that is missing from every other series. What those guys can do on a motorcycle defies belief at times. Plus, there's no shitty aerodynamic issues, so overtaking is legitimate.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Make em drive stick, increase the engines to 14 cylinders with turbos and give em a pint of whisky and a cigar. RACE!
Surprised your answer didn't involve Holden, Bathurst, and super V8. You must be a ford man then.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Surprised your answer didn't involve Holden, Bathurst, and super V8. You must be a ford man then.

If you're still living over there in Ireland, do yourself a favor and head to the Ulster Grand Prix in August. Motorcycle road racing at it's finest save for the Isle of Man TT.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

I like Japanese cars, my brother is a ford man though and when you're a ford man it's a V8 or nuttin. There is literally nothing you can do to sway them, god knows why they aren't that special.