Soldering kit - Help me out

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well, I want to do some but really have never messed with it more than just sticking some wires together or such.

I have no tools.

So if anyone here would like to suggest to me a good beginner, learning to solder setup or link to one that I can order I would appreciate it.

I've seen some stuff on Amazon and reviews and what but thought I would just ask here before I pull the trigger on anything as many of you guys do it and know your stuff.

I already own a hot glue gun so I should be good on that part.

I'm wanting to work on some controllers and need to connect little wires to the traces on the board.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
The Hakko FX888D is an excellent iron for the money and is great for anyone to get into soldering. I’ve had one for a little over five years now and it performs beautifully, just like it did when it was new.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I bought the one in this video after watching it:

I like it.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
What's your budget?

Budget really isn't going to be an issue.

Just the matter of bang for my buck.

I don't mind spending some cash if it's going to be something that I can still use when I actually learn what I'm doing, but I figure there must be a point of diminishing returns on cost. Truth be told I don't know what is what enough to know what is a good value so I'm just to throw out a number lets say under 200 for something that would be good for a beginner.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Okay, I'm looking up all the suggestions so far. Thanks for the input.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
The Hakko FX888D is an excellent iron for the money and is great for anyone to get into soldering. I’ve had one for a little over five years now and it performs beautifully, just like it did when it was new.

This is what I have too. I’ve been learning how to solder and I’ve found this iron to be really great to work with.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
+1 for the Hakko FX888=====D

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I use the Hakko also but I don’t know shit, lol. It’s a lot better than the plug in the wall or cheaper stuff I used in the past. Tips seem widely available.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Hakko FX888D is pretty universally recognized as the right choice in the pinball community. Digital temperature controlled, not hideously expensive, swappable tips.

I've got a buddy who designs & sells pinball PCBs (nvram.weebly.com) and he's still using the same FX888D he's had for years.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is surprising how technical soldering irons have become.

You ask this question a few years ago, and I think everyone would just say a high quality Weller. That's all i've ever used. Honestly, I think you just need an iron that can get hot enough and is adjustable.
Whatever gets you there is what you need.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
like everyone else has stated, get the Hakko. I had several "cheap" soldering irons over the years. Not one of them was any good and could not get hot enough for some jobs. Just do it right the first time if money is not a concern.

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This is surprising how technical soldering irons have become.

You ask this question a few years ago, and I think everyone would just say a high quality Weller. That's all i've ever used. Honestly, I think you just need an iron that can get hot enough and is adjustable.
Whatever gets you there is what you need.

Agreed, i am on the same boat. Weller soldering irons are pretty expensive compared to the Hakko which i honestly did not know existed untill i read this thread.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I feel like Hakko is the Japanese Weller. You can’t go wrong with any of their products. I personally dig the blue and yellow design as well. It brightens up a workbench.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I used to mess around with cheap soldering irons until I bought myself a Weller WESD51 and never looked back. Now that's not the best iron in the world but the difference is huge between it and any iron that just plugs directly into the wall socket.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I have a Hakko FX888D also, was <$200 and got some extra tips too. It’s done everything I’ve needed. I just need to upgrade my desoldering iron...