So Metroid Dread is 'out.' (now includes a review by DD!)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Im only about 10 mins in, because Im at shitty work and as such I can only play in handheld mode (not a fan of HH mode). I'll jam on it tonite after work as it's meant to be played. With a real controller, no waggle sticks. I *RRREEEEAALLLLY* hope Nintendo releases Prime 4 with *actual controls and not stupid shit like Prime 3 or that RIDICULOUS shit Other M. I couldn't play Other M for more than 15 minutes because it was so shitty.

A Metroid game... was shitty. METROID.

BUT - so far I will say Dread plays/feels just like the 3DS version of Metroid 2. Take that as you will.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
My biggest issue was the 3D pad on the 3DS. Im sorry, while the system is a little powerhouse and "ooh ahh 3D that I never turn on", that little control COIN is murder on my hand. Even on an XL.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Enjoy it HordheaDD :buttrock:

Being partial to the 2D/Sakamoto titles, I’m hyped to play this entry and have been trying to dodge spoilers left and right in the meantime lol

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
So, hang on, you can go buy this now?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I think it's officially out in a few days!

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
This is cool, Metroid is one of my favourite shooters.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I *RRREEEEAALLLLY* hope Nintendo releases Prime 4 with *actual controls and not stupid shit like Prime 3 or that RIDICULOUS shit Other M. I couldn't play Other M for more than 15 minutes because it was so shitty.
There's ANOTHER M? At least we're both shitty, so, that's consistent. 😂

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Put about 45 minutes into the game so far and... eh I dont like the controls. I still dont like having to hold two buttons to aim a missile, and Samus moves WAY too fast. Ive fallen off ledges plenty of times that should have been an easy mark. Just slow her down like 15% or something.

Also, the EMMI things - fuck that. Let me have the environment and local fauna to worry about. Dont give me some literally invincible hunter/destroyer bot taken right from the movie Red Planet (it was even called AMEE) that game-over's you unless you get that (literally) 1% chance (literally... 1% it says it in the game) of doing SOME random shit to stop it from stabbing you in the eye.

Maybe make it a boss or something. Not an invincible enemy you run into randomly 15 minutes in. I already played Resident Evil 2, guys.

I dont think its bad, but for real. Samus is WAY too fast. It kinda reminds me of Shadow Complex, just.. not as good.

AMEE:
1633490364849.png

EMMI:
1633490423809.png

Seriously?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I hate to break it to you but the original Metroid was based off of Alien(s).

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So, Im a few hours in and I guess I'm used to Samus' speed in the game. Those EMMIs are still complete bullshit and ruin the exploration aspect of the game. They patrol certain parts of the map and they can 'hear' you. You end up getting a cloaking device that is for the most part throwaway. It makes you walk really slow and it hides you from the EMMIs but only if they are snooping around the room and their field of vision is yellow. If it turns red they've already locked onto you and they lock the exit doors and chase you faster. Cloaking doesn't do shit at that point. And of course they are still one-hit kills. Ive been able to counter them like twice, but all it does is stun them for like 5 seconds which doesn't really give you enough time to get away, not that it matters since the doors are locked anyway lol.

Other than that pretty bad oversight, the game plays about the same as the remake on the 3DS, but you can play it with a standard controller. I beat some lizard boss and Kraid, who was actually fairly easy.

Still reminds me a lot of Shadow Complex. So far, I think SC is better.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I was going to get this today, after what I read I'll wait for the bargain bin or cheap 2ndhand.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I mean, Sage is being snarky (what else?) but I honestly have to agree with him. We're never going to get the magic we had with Super Metroid again. I dont think the series will ever peak like that again, even for those that have hard-ons for Prime 4.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I mean, Sage is being snarky (what else?) but I honestly have to agree with him. We're never going to get the magic we had with Super Metroid again. I dont think the series will ever peak like that again, even for those that have hard-ons for Prime 4.
Have you played Metroid Fusion on the GBA? Similar gameplay style to Super Metroid, and just about as good overall. I could never get into the more recent FPS style of the franchise, prefer that Super Metroid style.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I did, I actually played through Fusion via an emulator several years ago. I remember enjoying it, but not as much as Super.

Another thing I noticed with this game is even low tier enemies tend to knock off a FUCK ton of energy. Ive got the Varia suit now, which you get fairly early in the game. I think the boss Im at right now is going to give up the Gravity suit. But even with the Varia, little critters will knock off like 50 points of damage with a standard hit. So I'll get to a new area, have 5 full tanks and my normal energy bar and all of a sudden I'm under 50 points of energy lol.