So I'll be Working/Studying in France this Summer

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
You'll be able to learn how to make Foie gras which is sadly almost unheard of in the US.

that whole process is pretty fucked up

eating animals is fine and all but we should probably draw the line at not purposefully torturing them to quell our glutinous desires

on that happy note... have fun in France

obviously the best place to go if you're a chef or a foodie

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
that whole process is pretty fucked up

eating animals is fine and all but we should probably draw the line at not purposefully torturing them to quell our glutinous desires

on that happy note... have fun in France

obviously the best place to go if you're a chef or a foodie

The way I see it is they are going to feed our glutinous desires anyways (and this is coming from a vegetarian) but if you every eat some properly cooked foie gras it can change many minds on if it's evil or not.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Thanks guys. :multi_co:

Congrats Domino! I highly recommend you learn some important french words before you go there though as most of the frenchies don't speak english at all and the current political/social climate is rather tense. Depending on where you're going, you should start with stuff like "au secours!", "appelez la police!", or "enlève ta main de mon cul, connard!".

I'm taking French tutoring come January with focus on kitchen language, but I'll keep those phrases in mind. I've heard it's been tense over there, so I'll be sure to stay safe.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
We'll be doing a week-long tour in Paris, and then we're going to the West coast for the duration of the trip. Just north of the Bordeaux region.

Paris is great, i might make a roadtrip with the gf to have a drink together ;)

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Bumping with update:

The practicum is a full eight weeks, with four days in Paris and working in/near Nantes.

Dates: 5/24-5/26 in Paris (yeah short visit is short)

5/26-7/22 in Nantes

They also recommended that I bring a souvenir from Houston. I'm thinking a bottle of local wine or possibly a pint glass. Any thoughts?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Bumping with update:

The practicum is a full eight weeks, with four days in Paris and working in/near Nantes.

Dates: 5/24-5/26 in Paris (yeah short visit is short)

5/26-7/22 in Nantes

They also recommended that I bring a souvenir from Houston. I'm thinking a bottle of local wine or possibly a pint glass. Any thoughts?

might be difficult since you are flying there, but I'd definitely suggest a local food item since you are doing culinary work.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It should work if you ship the bottle instead of taking it onboard as luggage.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Like Eduardo already mentioned, a local food item could be a possibility.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I know what you guys mean, but it's more of a "here's a gift from my country" gesture. Hence why I'm considering local wine.

Also there's a chance I may have to cook an "American" meal for them. That's going to be interesting...

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
I know what you guys mean, but it's more of a "here's a gift from my country" gesture. Hence why I'm considering local wine.

Ah, I see.

Also there's a chance I may have to cook an "American" meal for them. That's going to be interesting...

That should be a good learning experience. I’m sure you’ll do fine, Domino :)

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I'm not sure a local wine would be the best idea. Considering the perceived high quality of French wines and the converse for most American wines it would be the equivalent of giving them a bottle of piss if presented to the wrong person.

I'd opt for something that isn't readily available over there. I'm not certain what that might be...maybe some gourmet beef jerky?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

I don't know which city you're going to but the bottle of wine isn't a good idea imo. Frenchies are used to drink the best wines in the world. In fact some of them are drinking wine everyday like it's just some regular booze. It wouldn't be a problem for you if most of them weren't so arrogants about everything. They will most likely laugh at any kind of american wine bottles you'll bring to them, just so you know.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
But the thing is I've heard really mixed reactions to the idea. Like you guys, a few have said it's not good and bring something else. Others have told me it's a perfectly okay gesture, and they have been to France themselves.

I'm still sorely tempted to just bring a six pack of local brew and a pint glass. At least that's genuine, a gift from me and my city, and delicious.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Perhaps some BBQ? I doubt the average French person has ever had good BBQ.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
How about pizza? Not the Italian appetizer version, but the real American full course version.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
My girlfriend is going to a region called Brittany this summer. She's a French major and is a chaperone for a local high school that sends kids over there. She's done it for the last couple summers, I think they end up in Paris for at least a few days every year too.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
But the thing is I've heard really mixed reactions to the idea. Like you guys, a few have said it's not good and bring something else. Others have told me it's a perfectly okay gesture, and they have been to France themselves.

I'm still sorely tempted to just bring a six pack of local brew and a pint glass. At least that's genuine, a gift from me and my city, and delicious.

How about a copy of the movie 'Bottle Shock' to go with it. That'll give them a great first impression