So I saw Alien Covenant. I am pissed (spoiler free rant)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Total disappointment... There wasn't a single likable character and the story was all over the place. I didn't hate or love Prometheus, but it was significantly better than this thing.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
They probably blew all of the budget before they even starting filming. That's exactly what happened with Alien 3.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
box office bomb... 36 million dollar opening

hopefully the blade runner revival tanks too

Setsuna1982

World Her,
SPOILER AHEAD:

Nothing in the history of cinema was as shitty and stupid as that FULLY DEVELOPED xenomorph coming out of the captain, and then practically waved to David as this sappy, endearing music played. I was besides myself with disgust at this scene.

END SPOILER

WHAT? HOW? Did they even WATCHED the previous movies?

Gorka

Borca,
20 Year Member
I really liked it despite the AI being an evil Wagner nazi and the SJW bingo (five diagonal by the showerscene). To me 1-3 are canon. I didnt care for 3 when i first saw it, but came to like it later and thought it was a good end for E.R. 4 was enjoyable like a fanfic, and i view Prometeus & Covenant like a parallell universe like Marvel zombies.

Gorka

Borca,
20 Year Member
SPOILER AHEAD:

Nothing in the history of cinema was as shitty and stupid as that FULLY DEVELOPED xenomorph coming out of the captain, and then practically waved to David as this sappy, endearing music played. I was besides myself with disgust at this scene.

END SPOILER

SPOILER AHEAD:

Fully developed or mature in 15 minutes was the feeling i got. The only thing that really bothered me about the movie was why they bother with the xenomorphs at all when the mushroom spores are clearly a more superior bioweapon.

END SPOILER

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
After Prometheus I remember talk of a sequel that would explore the homeworld of the engineers...is this schlocky horror flick the thing they went with instead? God, Hollywood sucks cock.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So, does Covenant take place on LV-426?

No...it takes place on the Engineer's home world.

Spoiler:
What I do not get is why they made the choice for David to create the Alien as we know it. This breaks a ton of timelines. This new film takes place in 2104. Alien takes place in 2122, in that film the come across an Engineer ship filled with face hugger eggs. This timeline is completely different from what Covenant claims. Long story short, there's just no reason for David to have created the Aliens...zip.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I don't get why you're so unimpressed...

Come on! It's fucking 2017. Movie's are all crap since "I don't-rememeber-the-last-good-one-I-saw".
By today's standards, it's not awesome, but entertaining at least.

Just remember that we've nearly 10 The fast & the furious movies. You cannot expect much to pop out the big screen nowadays...

Be honest with yourselves... What was the last really GOOD movie you remember?

MissFaith

New Challenger

I really thought 12 years a slave was the last decent film I saw. Powerful stuff and very well put together.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
You guys got the point.

There are obviously good movies. You just can't expect much.
I just don't get my expectations high anymore. That way I can (try to) enjoy a movie.

Last great movie I reeeeeeally enjoyed was Django Unchained.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I don't get why you're so unimpressed...

Come on! It's fucking 2017. Movie's are all crap since "I don't-rememeber-the-last-good-one-I-saw".
By today's standards, it's not awesome, but entertaining at least.

Just remember that we've nearly 10 The fast & the furious movies. You cannot expect much to pop out the big screen nowadays...

I thought Ghost in the Shell was good, I thought Guardians 2 was good, so was Rogue One. I thought Deadpool was great. There's some other movies I've seen lately that are all pretty solid.

Covenant was just limp. The character development was weak, the tie to Prometheus was weak. The worst part was what I mentioned above in the spoiler section.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
No...it takes place on the Engineer's home world.

Spoiler:
What I do not get is why they made the choice for David to create the Alien as we know it. This breaks a ton of timelines. This new film takes place in 2104. Alien takes place in 2122, in that film the come across an Engineer ship filled with face hugger eggs. This timeline is completely different from what Covenant claims. Long story short, there's just no reason for David to have created the Aliens...zip.

So, still no info on the jockey. Prolly the next movie.

I still haven't seen it, but I'm hearing its mediocre so I'm reading spoilers.

Spoiler:

Maybe David made them because of Weyland in Prometheus?

Weyland said that David had "no soul", and when the Engineer woke up, he made David tell him that they were both "gods" because they created "life" (Engineers made us, and Weyland made David).

Maybe David was so advanced that he truly believed that if he could not be an actual human, the next best thing was to be a "god".

I could also be reading too much into the cahracter and/or movie. Like I said, I havent seen it yet.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
GitS was a great movie for what it was. The production quality was top shelf. It helped that the story wasn't written by millenials, but before the millenials were even shit faced sperm meandering the expanse of the vas defrens. I bring this up because a lot of stuff written lately seems aimed at the generation that grew up with the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon, but the writing in turn is as horrible as the dick-sterile garbage from those channels.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
That movie was made for 13 year old jack offs.

Killed the franchise.

yeah, i did think how the whole assassins being in every corner of everywhere was a bit too much, but the rest was pretty much more of the same thing as the first movie and more.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So, still no info on the jockey. Prolly the next movie.

I still haven't seen it, but I'm hearing its mediocre so I'm reading spoilers.

Spoiler:

Maybe David made them because of Weyland in Prometheus?

Weyland said that David had "no soul", and when the Engineer woke up, he made David tell him that they were both "gods" because they created "life" (Engineers made us, and Weyland made David).

Maybe David was so advanced that he truly believed that if he could not be an actual human, the next best thing was to be a "god".

I could also be reading too much into the cahracter and/or movie. Like I said, I havent seen it yet.

jockey question below...
Spoiler:
This is what gets me. In the new film, David creates the eggs through genetic manipulation. So before that point, no eggs, no face huggers, and no Alien as we've known it for years. Because of this, Predator 2 and A-v-P are completely broken timeline wise. Second, if David wipes out the engineers home planet, then how in the shit would the jockey get his hands on the eggs, then land somewhere else, and die before it is found in Alien 1. The movie really created a mess with that entire plot point.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Just adding another thumbs down to the thread - TERRIBLE film...just...fucking...awful

So much wrong with it that has been discussed here - Fuck Ridley Scott for essentially killing Neil Blomkamp's film, which would've been amazing.

Prometheus was garbage, this was more garbage and a slap in the face to the Alien canon...it attempted to develop the shitty universe from Prometheus for what was clearly an attempt to Marvelize the franchise. Problem with this is James Cameron already created a tangible/amazing universe you could play in for multiple films...but someone had to go and attempt to create his own universe for the films....and it sucks. Let it die already.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
sounds like old man Ridley is out of his element. doesn't bode well for the new Blade Runner.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
but the rest was pretty much more of the same thing as the first movie and more.

No dude. It wasn't. Not even slightly.

The choreography was all bullshit in JW2. Totally "ok, you wait there while I shoot this guy. Okay, fire my direction move here and I shoot you."

If you like that kind of hogwash, then good for you. But it was fucking terrible. Worst action sequences possible.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
sounds like old man Ridley is out of his element. doesn't bode well for the new Blade Runner.

He already ruined Blade Runner with his endless extra cuts that take all the emotional heft and character growth out of the story by making Deckard a replicant.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
This film was made for someone like me. Someone that follows all the films with such devotion, such as myself. I knew every nod, every easter egg that the film showed me. AND I DIDN'T CARE.

Why would you? Easter eggs are the dumbest trend going in this overarching trend of making only sequels, reboots, soft reboots, and in-universe films.

The movies don't attempt to stand on their own. They just wink-and-nod their way through it, relying on your love of a previous film to generate any actual level of interest.

In the end that is lazy if not downright bad filmmaking. If the world is good and the bad guys are familiar, you don't need easter eggs that only serve to get a few nerd's rocks off with OMG DID YOU SEE THAT?!? IT'S JUST LIKE WHEN....

Sequels are not inherently bad but I don't plan on stepping back into a movie theater to see anyyhing any time soon that is buzz worded up by a major studio to appeal to my demographic.