So I now have an MVS cab..... What do I do with it?

BomberHead

n00b
20150226_152800.jpg

20150226_153724.jpg

I've had an AES with about 20 games for about 5 years now. I bought one of those MVS converters and a 100 in 1 cart and have pretty much been set. However, recently my wife has been bugging me to get rid of my 80cc scooter that I don't ride. Well, lucky me! A guy on craigslist traded me this for the scooter. It works but the screen is really baked. I'm super happy to get these games into my collection, but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the cab. I think I guess I would like to consolize the MVS, are there any tutorials on how to do that? Any advice?

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Looks like a solid 4 slot! Fix her up and play Neo Geo the way God intended man to play Neo Geo.
Look for a local arcade forum and there's probably a semi local tech who does monitor rebuilds.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Agree with cyborg. That thing is a beauty. Fix er up. Project time. Playing neo geo on the arcade cab is by far the best way in my opinion. I just recently bought one and i have done nothing but play it for 3 weeks now. I just found when the arcade machine is there it lures me in so much more than the aes. Great games too! Puzzle bobble and svc chaos. Good trade

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
How is the monitor looking? Any burn-ins? That is the hardest part to replace.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Dependin on how apparent the b urn in is, ie if you notice it even when the screen shows an image other than blank white screen you should look for a replacement 25" monitor.

If it's only noticeable during white screens try and tune it with the black level and color adjustment pots; if that doesn't help the fade in do a cap kit.

Congrats on your first cab

BomberHead

n00b

I made a video of what it looks like. In the day time, its almost impossible to see. At night all the colors are bleached out. I'll look into restoring it, have any sources?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Refurb that badboy!

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Congrats BomberHead. If I were you I would make room for this.... Throw out something and replace it by this nice cab and find someone who can help you refurbish.

BomberHead

n00b
Oh holly shit!!! After fucking around with the cab, i got the monitor to look brand freakin' new. What I assumed was burn-in ended up just being ghosting from the contrast. The RGB wire harness was half plugged in, so no red was even getting to the screen. Now it looks amazing.. I just have to talk the wife into letting me move it into the house.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Oh holly shit!!! After fucking around with the cab, i got the monitor to look brand freakin' new. What I assumed was burn-in ended up just being ghosting from the contrast. The RGB wire harness was half plugged in, so no red was even getting to the screen. Now it looks amazing.. I just have to talk the wife into letting me move it into the house.

Now you have no reason not to keep it. With some new side art and maybe some touch-up paint, that thing would be good as new. Good luck convincing the wife.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member

Neo Geo Cab is your wife now.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Great news. Bachelorhood is totally the way to go. You wont need her now that you got the best 2d T&A in the buisness

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member

Glad to hear this. I was looking at your video thinking "That is probably just settings on the chassis. That thing is SUPER bright.". Good to hear it doesnt have burn in. Most neo geos at worst just have Level and Insert coin on the bottom which is easily ignored while playing.

Congrats on the great trade :D

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

Glad to hear that you got it working properly now. Puzzle Bobble is probably the most likely game out of those four carts to appeal to your wife.

BomberHead

n00b
Great news. It found a happy home in my good friends bedroom today. We spent many hours dialing the settings on the monitor (It took a while before I realised the 8 pots on the back of the monitor are completely different settings than the 6 under the control panel. It will live, fully intact and well enjoyed. Thanks for the advice dudes.....

.... now can anyone tell me where I can get Windjammers for $100?

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Glad you found a home for it-absolutely would have been a shame to let that cab go. I need to find a trade like that for my dirt bike...

As for Windjammers, keep an eye on the Neo Selling market board. An MVS Windjammers was sold on there just the other day.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Glad you got it out of the weather! That looks like a good solid 4 slot.

Hope you get to move it home soon. I had a six slot in my dining room for nearly a year. My wife wasn't happy but it became a fixture after not long... Like a nice China cabinet or buffet table lol

Oh and get the sides painted and get the art back on. Not digging the black.

Last edited:

Heartkill

n00b
Nice cab! Convincing the wife to move mine in the house wasn't too hard after she became hooked on Puzzle Bobble.

Nice! I love the sight of a big red! Agree with all the great advice. Refurb that bad boy to its former red glory! A little time and patience will go a long way. Good luck