so i have epilepsy

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
this is my first thread in a good while i know, and i haven't been around in a good while either. but after having another company i work for in this country go into administration, and another seizure a couple of weeks ago. i've been put on tegretol for the seizures, and told i have epilepsy. i'm not legally allowed to drive a car for the next year, and video games are pretty much a thing of the past. which as someone who loves driving, and games, i'm at a loss for things to do, especially since i'm out on my ass as far as work goes.

but before me and everyone else was made redundant i booked a holiday to texas, so i'll get to go back home, and i used a bit of money to get myself a new BMX bike, i'm trying out some 22 inch rims this time. so its not all doom and gloom for me, and hell my blood pressure and triglyceride have dropped back down to normal.

now that i've written this thread out i'm wondering what i started it for, i don't usually talk about this kinda stuff, its a bit womanly. anyways, just wanted to post up something. how's everyone else doing?

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Fraking a man that sucks the big one

At least you get to go back to texas and have a kick ass bmx bike to roll on

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Pretty crazy man.

So I have to ask... the epilepsy... is it something that's developed over time? Like you didn't have it at all before and now you do, or was it always there in some mild form and now it's more severe?

I love video games, but I often wonder how much more productive of a human being I could be without them as a hobby. I'd probably just find something else as useless to waste time away, but who knows. Maybe I'd find something less useless. Driving? I hate owning a car. I'd rather live in a city and ride a train or bike to get around. Would definitely be inconvenient to not be able to drive where I live now though.

At any rate, best of luck with all the stuff you've got going on.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Damn, that's some rough news all right.

I'm glad to hear you have a positive outlook, though. It's a cliche to say this but it really does make a big difference.

And if nothing else there are a lot of treatments for epilepsy these days. It's not like it was even a few years ago. With any luck they'll get you some good medication and you won't have to worry about it all that much.

In the meantime, I wish you well. (I'm doing pretty great myself, thanks for asking.) :D

Marek

Banned
Iam seriously glad you are well, all things considered.

...No Pokemon episodes for you, my condolences :p

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
epilepsy... is it something that's developed over time? ....

Yes, in general, a person has to have two or more unprovked seizures to be considered epileptic. (n1.) I've met people with epilepsy before (work and school) and they say thier doctors diagnosed thier seizure disorder sometime after their 2nd seizure.

----------------
n1. What is Epilepsy

.... i've been put on tegretol for the seizures, and told i have epilepsy. i'm not legally allowed to drive a car for the next year, and video games are pretty much a thing of the past. ....

Drugs first sounds right. Doctors treat seizure disorders with drug therapy, first, while monitering your quality of life. The way I understand it, they are looking for a drug that stops your seizures, stays in your system (under stress), and has tollerable side effects.

It's the loosing your liscense part that really sounds harsh to me. Last time I heard someone complain about this, the CA DMV was pulling liceseses for at least 6 months. And you can't go anywhere, here, in LA without car, 'cause of all the freeways, and the commutes to work, and 'cause public transportation is never on time, not to mention all the cut backs in public trnasportaion due to the crappy CA economy.

Video games may still be possible. Chatted with one guy for a bit. He noticed that the photosensitivity (BRIGHT FLASHING LIGHTS) were messing (triggering) with his condition. So, he swapped out his CRT for an LCD, and turned the brightness way down. He said he can play for awhile, enough to have some fun.

Anyway, glad to hear that you're ok. Hope you find the best medication to stop your seizure disorder. And hope you get your condition (and triggers) under control.

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Kim if you'll be in Austin for a substantial period of time, I may wanna go there and finally meet you :) I'm a bit less dorky than I was as a teen (just a bit) I swear, lol

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
That's pretty rough man. Hopefully things will get better :)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Pika....Chuuuuuuu....

im sure you can still play games, just can't do it alone.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Pika....Chuuuuuuu....

The episode is Dennō Senshi Porygon. (n1.) And it caused TV Tokyo to put warning labels on all future and past Pokémon episodes. (n2.) Nintendo started usning warning labels too. (ibid.)

gameboy2.gif

-------------------------------
n1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennō_Senshi_Porygon
n2. The Pokémon Panic of 1997

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Sorry to hear that man. Here's hoping you can play games still from time to time.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sucks, same thing happened to my sister's old roommate. She was leading a normal life, late 20's...then boom. Had some seizures and can't drive a car for the next year.

Sounds like you are not too down about it, it's obviously something life altering.

Have fun on that BMX bike man and make sure you get a good helmet :)

Perhaps this will be a good time to do some things you've wanted to but never got around to doing?

Stay safe.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Sorry to hear that dude. My mom has been diagnosed with epilepsy since as far back as I can remember.
About a year ago, she goofed and thought she could go by without her meds. She ended up having a seizure a few days later (first one in some 20 yrs).
Anyways, as long as you're taking meds, you should be alright.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
... that BMX bike ....

Get a GREAT bike lock & chain. Register it with the PD. And take a few pictures of it. People steal bikes all the time.

That happened to two guys I knew back in Jr. High School. Pissed 'em off BIG TIME.

One guy got his bike back two weeks later. The other guy did not.

Last edited:

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Gotta echo the sentiment here. Take it easy and keep the faith.

Know this, though. Austin hit a high of 90 Fahrenheit today. It ain't even May. I'd love some stereotypical Irish weather right about now.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Yes, in general, a person has to have two or more unprovked seizures to be considered epileptic. (n1.) I've met people with epilepsy before (work and school) and they say thier doctors diagnosed thier seizure disorder sometime after their 2nd seizure.

----------------
n1. What is Epilepsy

Drugs first sounds right. Doctors treat seizure disorders with drug therapy, first, while monitering your quality of life. The way I understand it, they are looking for a drug that stops your seizures, stays in your system (under stress), and has tollerable side effects.

It's the loosing your liscense part that really sounds harsh to me. Last time I heard someone complain about this, the CA DMV was pulling liceseses for at least 6 months. And you can't go anywhere, here, in LA without car, 'cause of all the freeways, and the commutes to work, and 'cause public transportation is never on time, not to mention all the cut backs in public trnasportaion due to the crappy CA economy.

Video games may still be possible. Chatted with one guy for a bit. He noticed that the photosensitivity (BRIGHT FLASHING LIGHTS) were messing (triggering) with his condition. So, he swapped out his CRT for an LCD, and turned the brightness way down. He said he can play for awhile, enough to have some fun.

Anyway, glad to hear that you're ok. Hope you find the best medication to stop your seizure disorder. And hope you get your condition (and triggers) under control.

yeah i have to take these pills twice a day every day for a while, and i have regular blood tests and such as well as brain scans, and various other scans for the next year or two i'm sure. but in the mean time here in ireland i get a free bus pass because i am disabled, and once i can drive again a handicap parking thingy. which is pretty awesome if you ask me. someday i'll be that guy who looks like there's nothing wrong with him, parking up front and pissing people off. also if i went on the dole here i'd get more money being disabled, but i have yet to sign on to the dole. i was only made redundant this month, i don't want to sign on i'd feel a bit ashamed of myself if i did.

but yeah seizures just sneaked up on me one day, three years ago. and since then i've had one a year, every year, so three so far. and that's all it took to put me on meds and get me certified as a floor flopping, professional. every time it happens and the EMTs show up i always ask "did i piss myself" so far i have yet to do so.

adam, i'm only in town for two weeks, but i'd like to be there a lot longer. its my hometown after all, all my friends and family there. this irish weather is killing me, dark, cloudy, and wet, and cold. i need some sun, heat, and mexican food.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sounds like you'll have your hands full. If you somehow make it to DFW during that time please let me know :)

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
My mom has a seizure disorder (not epilepsy, but something similar) and moderates a epilepsy support forum. PM me if you would like a link.

Also, a warning, if your neuro or another doctor recommends a medical implant device called a VNS, FIRE them (there's a long, sad, story behind this).

aria

Former Moderator
I'm sure this will all work out, plenty of people have epilepsy and are fine. Hell, Alexander the Great had it and conquered most of the known world (what's your excuse? ;) ).

i need some sun, heat, and mexican food.

You should open your own Mexican restaurant in Dublin. Make it as cliche as "Irish Bars" are in the states.

"El Pancho Villa's Mexican Cantina"

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I think one drop of hot sauce would make the Irish explode....

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I'm sure this will all work out, plenty of people have epilepsy and are fine. Hell, Alexander the Great had it and conquered most of the known world (what's your excuse? ;) ).

You should open your own Mexican restaurant in Dublin. Make it as cliche as "Irish Bars" are in the states.

"El Pancho Villa's Mexican Cantina"

a lack of focus bob. i feel i could conquer the world through various means. cultural victory, military, economic, or even reaching alpha centauri. the problem is trying to focus on just one victory term.

as for the mexican place, i'd probably do barbecue too, i'd need some money, and again, focus.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but this is a video game forum, and it seems worth asking... Were any of your seizures triggered by video games? Or did the doctor just tell you not to play anymore?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
... "El Pancho Villa's Mexican Cantina"

Lol. That's going to be funny. Pancho was not a very successful revolutionary--not in History, and not in the Taco Stand biz. I predict history repeats itself. But this time, Pancho gets his ass kicked in the Pub biz. Those Irish really love thier Pubs.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Sucks to hear, but with limitations on your current hobbies and interests I'm sure new ones will surface.

I second opening a Mexican restaurant in Ireland. There was one I saw in England, and the menu had Chili on it....