SNKP's Removal of Fatalities .... justified?

How do you feel about SNKP's decision to remove fatalaties from Sam Sho V Special?

• I believe that SNKP was well within its rights to remove the fatalaties

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • SNKP should have left them in the game, but they're not essential and their presence isn't really mi

Votes: 25 11.0%
  • The decision to remove the fatalities was deceptive, irresponsible, and unnecessary - AND SNKP shoul

Votes: 196 86.0%

• Total voters

Master(G)

n00b
snk-playwhore.gif

:rolleyes:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
What really puzzles me is that the quarter carrying youth have access to the fatalities in the arcade but the cartridge purchasing adult (for teh most part) gets slapped with the censor. I mean,it just does'nt make sense... A child can get ahold of a couple of bucks to play in the arcade before they would even think about shelling out 370 shipped for one cartridge that needs a 200 system to operate in. What was the whole violence level thing for???
This whole philosophy of,WE CENSOR IT,while you PAY FOR IT is just absurd
Anybody here under the age of eighteen,please don't get upset as I have much respect for anyone realizing how great of a system te Neo geo truely is.
heh...
-BB

Well, I disagree. Alot of cade goers buy these, in fact they show the most support. They just arent registered at ng for the drama, because they dont care and just play the games.
I go to cades alot to play some of the insane 2003 talent LA has going, nobody here who hasnt done that can even say they know the true glory of neo. Cause when you do you make new friends who are gamers and can play very well.. Trust me on this bro, the real heart of the neo is playing people who are insane players..

IE

Its so funny to hear some dude here who claims to be a god at gaming make such claims when they never really played others.
I find it ironic, its the dudes who own nothing that are some of the best, and these guys get my pure respect.

Fact is, SSV is good and all, but its crap down here competitively. Which is really shitty..
The series should have changed after SSIV. It refused to though.

I would have preferred seeing neo die with a new garou or 2004. A compilation is a really crap way to end a generation. It doesnt ryhme without reason. Or at least there was a time reason was easier to understand.

I hate it when corporate morons are in charge of huge decisions.
Its like having a plumber perform a heart operation on you.

drone9

Marked Wolf
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
Fact is, SSV is good and all, but its crap down here competitively. Which is really shitty..
interesting. that is the total opposite of what I was told by one of my best Japanese friends whom I'd consider a real Neo Geo freak. when asking him whether ss0s was worthwhile, he said that it isn't that exciting a home fighter, but that it's a fun competitive game. but than again as he said I guess ss is much more popular in the West than in Japan.

SwordPlay

Crossed Swords Squire
Well, I disagree. Alot of cade goers buy these, in fact they show the most support. They just arent registered at ng for the drama, because they dont care and just play the games.
I go to cades alot to play some of the insane 2003 talent LA has going, nobody here who hasnt done that can even say they know the true glory of neo. Cause when you do you make new friends who are gamers and can play very well.. Trust me on this bro, the real heart of the neo is playing people who are insane players..

IE

Its so funny to hear some dude here who claims to be a god at gaming make such claims when they never really played others.
I find it ironic, its the dudes who own nothing that are some of the best, and these guys get my pure respect.

I would have preferred seeing neo die with a new garou or 2004. A compilation is a really crap way to end a generation. It doesnt ryhme without reason. Or at least there was a time reason was easier to understand.

Someone give this man a prize.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Fuck playmore! SNK is dead more than ever now. And I will not be buying any homeports of SSVSpecial unless they fix this shit.

Eliza

Mickey's Coach
DashK said:
Fuck playmore! SNK is dead more than ever now. And I will not be buying any homeports of SSVSpecial unless they fix this shit.

Starting to feel that way

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I think that this editing bullshit really sucks. I say down with Playmore! They don't have the right to put SNK in front of their name. I can't believe I spent $368 for a game that is edited when I was promised to get all the blood and gore. This is a real kick in the nuts if there ever was one. :blow_top:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member

IE

You've taken my statements out of context completely..and they read to be abit defensive...when not warranted.
The issue here at hand is CENSORSHIP and FATALITY /VIOLENCE ACCESS
Let me break it down once more....
What puzzles me is that if SNK was being pressured about the fatalities in SAMSHO V Special, why would they NOT censor the arcade version where they received the complaints,where Every kid could easily have access to viewing them but go out of their way to CENSOR the home version that many kids don't have access to??
My statememts have nothing to do with downing competitive play in the arcade.
Private copies that get played in th e privacy of ones home gets censored while the public copies don't is just totally illogical IF the agenda is to shield the youth from violence.
THANKYOU
-BB

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
but go out of their way to CENSOR the home version that many kids don't have access to??

I'll bet that there's not one kid under 17 on this website that purchased a copy of Samurai Shodown V Special. It's just a totally absurd notion that these home carts are geared toward kids. I just can't get over it .... :oh_no:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've said it before, I'll say it again:
If the people who were offended by the fatalities wouldn't have bought the cart anyway, what's the point in censoring it?

Crap nevermind my logic is screwed. They censored it SO the people offended by the fatalities would buy it. I R stupid.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
You guys are kidding, right?

As soon as I saw this on the front page, my jaw literally hit the floor. You think that SNKP would put something in the options menu to put the blood and fatalities on or off? Seriously, is Enron managment running SNKP? A lobotomized two year old is smarter than the moron who did this. :oh_no:

Now that I got that off my chest, not to defend their decision any way, but I think I found six reasons why they did this in the first place.
Reason #1
Reason #2
Reason #3
Reason #4
Reason #5
Reason #6

I wonder if anybody using the Debug/Universe BIOS is able to put the blood and fatalities back, and I hope that SNKP isn't going to have a brain fart when it comes time to port this over to the PS2 and Xbox... :shame:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
You've taken my statements out of context completely..and they read to be abit defensive...when not warranted.
The issue here at hand is CENSORSHIP and FATALITY /VIOLENCE ACCESS
Let me break it down once more....
What puzzles me is that if SNK was being pressured about the fatalities in SAMSHO V Special, why would they NOT censor the arcade version where they received the complaints,where Every kid could easily have access to viewing them but go out of their way to CENSOR the home version that many kids don't have access to??
My statememts have nothing to do with downing competitive play in the arcade.
Private copies that get played in th e privacy of ones home gets censored while the public copies don't is just totally illogical IF the agenda is to shield the youth from violence.
THANKYOU
-BB

Nah man, I agree on the whole. I just dont agree with the kid in the cade idea. I hope that didnt read as me being and elitist. I am sorry if it did.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Nah man, I agree on the whole. I just dont agree with the kid in the cade idea. I hope that didnt read as me being and elitist. I am sorry if it did.
I'm not referring to arcade goers as "kids". This act of weasily censorship was done from what I understand for the sake of protecting the youth. All I stated was they,Playmore did absolutely nothing to address the concerns of those who complained about the game being too violent because EVERY young person has access to the arcade where a limited amount have access to the home cart.
This act of IGNORANCE by Playmore does not protect the youth,it penalizes the home cartridge buying public which is mainly comprised of adults.
I did'nt think you were trying to be an elitest at all.. I probably did'nt explain myself too well.
-BB

syringe

Banned
ferrarimanf355 said:
As soon as I saw this on the front page, my jaw literally hit the floor. You think that SNKP would put something in the options menu to put the blood and fatalities on or off? Seriously, is Enron managment running SNKP? A lobotomized two year old is smarter than the moron who did this. :oh_no:

Now that I got that off my chest, not to defend their decision any way, but I think I found six reasons why they did this in the first place.
Reason #1
Reason #2
Reason #3
Reason #4
Reason #5
Reason #6

I wonder if anybody using the Debug/Universe BIOS is able to put the blood and fatalities back, and I hope that SNKP isn't going to have a brain fart when it comes time to port this over to the PS2 and Xbox... :shame:

"Protecting the Children" isn't a valid argument due to the very logistics of the home cart market. With new releases selling for roughly $350 a game it's absolutely certian that at least 95% of SNKP's home cart market is an 18+ adult audience with money to burn.

If people complained about the level of violence in the arcade release so what? The arcade operators could of lowered the violence settings so that the young children around wouldn't of seen it. But it's almost incomprehensible that they decided to censor the home cart release (without a blood code even) and anger their primarily 18-35 cash and carry market.

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
The decision to remove the fatalities was deceptive, irresponsible, and unnecessary - AND SNKP should take some corrective measure.

...all the way. SNKP's decision was a poor one indeed.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
dmhawkmoon said:
Well they did originally advertise a ton more characters to be playable for Sengoku 3, but that was understandably missing considering that they were about to go out of business...

Yeah, Sengoku 3 was supposed to have some amazing amount of playable characters... like 30 or something, I don't think there are 30 unique characters in that game ;) Anyway... I always thought that was a typo, and wasn't a big selling point. This, however, was the main selling point of SS5S, they even put all the moves on their website cause they knew it was the main selling point!

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Best case scenario:

1. The fatalities will be reinstated by Universe BIOS 1.4. (Actually I think this is more propable than not. I give it an 80-20 chance)

2. We play the game the way it was intended.

3. We will never again buy a new game that has the name PLAYMORE on it.

Ever.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
finngamer said:
Best case scenario:

1. The fatalities will be reinstated by Universe BIOS 1.4. (Actually I think this is more propable than not. I give it an 80-20 chance)

2. We play the game the way it was intended.

3. We will never again buy a new game that has the name PLAYMORE on it.

Ever.

I don't think these are mutually exclusive items. I am pretty sure 1 will come true, and 3 is almost a given ;)

SolidSnakeII

Marked Wolf
This is really..........sorry no words to express. All I can say is im no longer buying this game.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
SolidSnakeII said:
This is really..........sorry no words to express. All I can say is im no longer buying this game.

It's still a better game than SvC C.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
Scanline said:
If people complained about the level of violence in the arcade release so what? The arcade operators could of lowered the violence settings so that the young children around wouldn't of seen it. But it's almost incomprehensible that they decided to censor the home cart release (without a blood code even) and anger their primarily 18-35 cash and carry market.
Trust me, the anti-video game crowd could care less about how much a game costs. If it's hyper-violent and/or hyper-sexual, and it goes against their values, then they're all over it like blood on a katana. I'm not defending their decision to remove the blood and fatalities- this just makes me shake my head like :oh_no: and I certanily feel for the people who bought this game just for the blood and fatalities- I'm just using 20/20 hindsight. That doesn't mean that SNKP was right in their decision- hell I agree with the majority. Who was the retard that screwed you guys over anyways? :very_ang:

syringe

Banned
ferrarimanf355 said:
Trust me, the anti-video game crowd could care less about how much a game costs. If it's hyper-violent and/or hyper-sexual, and it goes against their values, then they're all over it like blood on a katana. I'm not defending their decision to remove the blood and fatalities- this just makes me shake my head like :oh_no: and I certanily feel for the people who bought this game just for the blood and fatalities- I'm just using 20/20 hindsight. That doesn't mean that SNKP was right in their decision- hell I agree with the majority. Who was the retard that screwed you guys over anyways? :very_ang:

You somehow missed my entire point. Which was that the Neo-Geo home audience is composed almost ENTIRELY of adults so censoring the home version is nearly incomprehensible because this game wouldn't be in the hands of somebody under 16 due to the price point alone.

Which means that if parents were complaining in the arcades the maximum that should of been done was Arcade operators manually lowering the cruelty levels on their respective machines. While for the PRIMARILY adult audience the home carts should of been left alone.

Thus the argument for "protecting the children" was entirely void in the context of this release. The people who made the idiotic decision to censor this release scandalized themselves in the eyes of their entire hardcore fanbase.

Basically what I'm saying is that there was absolutely no justification given the orientation of the NGH market and that even the morons associated with organizations like the PTC (and similar japanese counterparts) could probably recognize that, thus leaving the ever incompetent management at SNK-P on their own. Who as usual have only managed to drive their company further into the ground while dissapointing fans along the way.

Last edited: