SNK-P thinks it can set your morals (SSVS)... what do you think?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Shawn needs to SUE Playmore or Yuki for false advertisement... All the home carts should be gathered up and dropped on SNKP's front door step!! He has supported SNKP more than anyone(even after SVCC :D). HE and we did'nt deserve this...
FOR _________ SAKE this was the last release!!!! Now they want to censor the fans that PAY THE MOST in their gaming hobby??
What Yuki and Playmore did is just unconscionable!!!! This last release amounts to a SCAM imo... Am I dreaming or something? Here we are in the year 2004, living in a society that PROMOTES and CAPITILIZES of of violence, goes out of their way to try and make fiction look lrealistic and lil' ole Samurai Shodown 5 Special with cartoony 2d graphics gets HEAVILY censored to the point where the whole concept gets removed leaving you with a game that should be titles SAMURAI X ala Metal Slug X.
After everyone returns their copy on the front door step of SNKP, when they get it right tell them to rework the front of that US insert as well... looks like a two year old slapped four avatars together and placed the logo in the center..how creative....<ROLLING EYES>
SNKP/YUKI steped over the line this time!!! Ten years ago they gave us the ability tto use a code and NOW.. complete lock out??
This is waaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top
.. This is type of behavior is a throwback to NGF philosophy....
I'm going to leave this post on a high note and state that it's good to see the forum participation pick up,just wish it was'nt under these circumstances!!!
JUST SAY NO! We need to take a stand on this one....being the last release and all... I'm still reeling from SVCc and now this?? NO WAY!!
-BB

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:
Shawn should not have to refund one penny for this problem. He has done a huge amount to support home cart releases, and is probably the only reason they continued to come out years beyond when they might have ended. In my opinion it is totally unfair to think he would need to refund anything, when it was SNK/Playmore that made the decision to censor the home carts, and SAID NOTHING ABOUT IT TO ANYONE PRIOR TO THE RELEASE.

Should SNK Playmore offer refunds directly (NOT through the Neo Store which should not have to bear one cent of the cost of this debacle), due to false advertising? Absolutely. Would they ever do such a thing? Not bloodly likely. :mad:

Don't get me Wrong I am greatfull for what shawn has done. But if there was a refund for the US release it WOULD go through Shawn since he is the exclusive Distrubutor. he would then go and recieve a refund From SNKP.

Just like NCS would give you a refund if you bought from them and they would in turn go back to Shawn for a refund if one was offered by SNKP. They would not tell you "send it to Japan" Just something you should considered.

It does not affect me since I am now not going to get the game, which is also Effecting Shawn in a way since he is not getting the Sale. I am not trying to not show graditiude towards the release but I am also not going to Buy something I do not want since I want a full version of SSVS. I almost preordered the game in June, But I was holding off to see what extra Money I had left after A-Kon and ended up spending most my money there (bought like 20 or so DVDS). Truth be know, I feel more concern on the release should be spent on the actual game rather then if the insert follows a 'Classic' style or not. Just my Opinion as a Gamer.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
SwordPlay said:
If you're playing SS for the "Fatalities" then you're playing the wrong game.

Sure, they're a cool novelty feature, but nothing to cause such an uproar about just because they were taken out.

You seem only willing to scratch the surface. At first glance it's seems as though it's no more than a bit of a dissapointment (albeit a massive let-down for some); however, the significance of this move trancends SSVS, it's indicative of SNK-P's overall intent as a corporation. A corporation that has a history of turning a deaf ear to the cries of those that matter most, the fans that line their pockets.

...that, and there's the issue of false advertising. What if you dropped several grand on a nose job to cement an agreement between your surgeon and yourself to make you more closely resemble Brad Pit? ... and upon waking you discover that your surgeon has molded your face in Rodney Dangerfield's likeness because, at the last minute, he decided it "looked better."

F@%& CENSORSHIP

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Originally Posted by SwordPlay
If you're playing SS for the "Fatalities" then you're playing the wrong game.

Sure, they're a cool novelty feature, but nothing to cause such an uproar about just because they were taken out.

You know, I was willing to accept this with Samurai Shodown V but please,JUST SAVE IT...
Let's just keep removing the arts curriculum from schools and keep building more prisons..
This is serious and it's all relative!! What happened to the FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION?? That game uncensored is a work of art! It looked like a throwback to SNK in the 90's.
It's been 14 years and this is the PAY OFF?? This is the bigg Thankyou fo ryour support??? Most o fthe Neo Geo buying public are adult and players I would gather... It's in the game already!! Nobody here is trying to Monday Quaterback,stating what the game should have... It's in there,they sold us the fact that it would be in there and DAMNIT! I WANT IT!
If those of you making statements in disagreement to this uproar are only doing so to appear to be ultra intelligent or cool..please stop as it's not working...
-BB

slerch666

updyke,
Sorry if this has been said but, you know, this is SNK-P's property. They can do ANYTHING they want with it. You don't like it, don't buy it. (hopefully you'll read past this line, but by now I bet you're turning red in the face and want to fire bomb my family, but read on).

Now if it was advertised that the fatalities and whatever else were IN the game you purchased, it's false advertising, so sue. Sounds like there is enough support, why not a class action suit? Bobak's the resident lawyer, surely he can think of SOME way to get your money returned legally. Fuck, get a list of all the buyers from Shawn and there's your defendants. BAM!

Simply returning the game to SNK-P is an even bigger fuck in your ass as I can guarantee you they won't return your cash and you're out a game. They reseal it and resell it at a cheaper price point and they fuck you again.

Does it suck that there is no fatalities in the US version? Yes. Is there anything you can do about it? Maybe, if they advertised it as one thing and gave you another. The DVD/VCR analogy fits perfectly here. You bought a DVD player, were conned because it's a VCR, not what was advertised. You can sue.

Will anything come of this? We can't rally around enough support to follow through with legal action against scammers, do you think anyone will follow through with this? You need to have someone spearhead the effort and get the momentum going and continue it thorugh to the end, whether the outcome is what you want or not.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Lawsuit: Neo-Geo.com vs SNK Playmore... odd... yes, but also very funny ;)

Crovax

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
slerch666 said:
Does it suck that there is no fatalities in the US version? Yes.

Its not just a matter of the US version being censored. ALL home versions (including Japan's) have been similarly censored. Furthermore, they both set it up specifically so that the existing custom bioses would not be able to get around it, and failed to make any mention of any censorship from the MVS version prior to releasing it. For goodness sake, they still feature the screenshots of someof the fatalities on their website advertising the game. THAT'S why there is a huge uproar. Its a matter of SNKP giving the fans the big "fuck you," in its final AES release.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
This is pointless! I don't think anyone who can buy an AES and a brand new game is old enough to be that insulted/influenced by the fatalities. Granted they're a novelty but the main problem is the false advertising. That's just wrong, intentional or not. Perhaps SNKP can offer a service where you can send in your game and they'll perform a ROM swap where the new ROM has the fatalities in it?

aria

Former Moderator
nruva said:
Lawsuit: Neo-Geo.com vs SNK Playmore... odd... yes, but also very funny ;)

You knew it was going to happen eventually :D ;)

Its actually cheaper than several hundred plane tickets to Japan. Although the thought of tons of NG.com members storming the SNK-P headquarters is immensly amusing. Poets would write about it for generations.

Last edited:

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
slerch666 said:
Sorry if this has been said but, you know, this is SNK-P's property. They can do ANYTHING they want with it. You don't like it, don't buy it. (hopefully you'll read past this line, but by now I bet you're turning red in the face and want to fire bomb my family, but read on).

Now if it was advertised that the fatalities and whatever else were IN the game you purchased, it's false advertising, so sue. Sounds like there is enough support, why not a class action suit? Bobak's the resident lawyer, surely he can think of SOME way to get your money returned legally. Fuck, get a list of all the buyers from Shawn and there's your defendants. BAM!

Simply returning the game to SNK-P is an even bigger fuck in your ass as I can guarantee you they won't return your cash and you're out a game. They reseal it and resell it at a cheaper price point and they fuck you again.

Does it suck that there is no fatalities in the US version? Yes. Is there anything you can do about it? Maybe, if they advertised it as one thing and gave you another. The DVD/VCR analogy fits perfectly here. You bought a DVD player, were conned because it's a VCR, not what was advertised. You can sue.

Will anything come of this? We can't rally around enough support to follow through with legal action against scammers, do you think anyone will follow through with this? You need to have someone spearhead the effort and get the momentum going and continue it thorugh to the end, whether the outcome is what you want or not.

Well, it is true that it is their property, but didn't they ever think what the consequences of the desicion would be, especially when they advertised the removed material continuoulsly during its development? Also, didn't they ever think how this decision would affect their sales? It's not like they planned to censor the game at the very end of development intentionally and screw everyone over.

10 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
Perhaps SNKP can offer a service where you can send in your game and they'll perform a ROM swap where the new ROM has the fatalities in it?

That's an excellent suggestion.

Perhaps a petition is in order?

slerch666

updyke,
Crovax said:
Its not just a matter of the US version being censored. ALL home versions (including Japan's) have been similarly censored. Furthermore, they both set it up specifically so that the existing custom bioses would not be able to get around it, and failed to make any mention of any censorship from the MVS version prior to releasing it. For goodness sake, they still feature the screenshots of someof the fatalities on their website advertising the game. THAT'S why there is a huge uproar. Its a matter of SNKP giving the fans the big "fuck you," in its final AES release.
I realize there is a huge uproar. I understand why people are upset. You just have to remember that this is SNK-P's property. They want to ass fuck it, they can ass fuck it.

If they tell you there are fatalities in the game, then remove them and the violence, then that's false advertising, sue and make your voice be heard by their corporate cunts.

As Nruva said N-G.com VS SNK-P

You want to get your point across, rally together and SUE SUE SUE! Hit their pocket books, as in the end they, and every other company are after one thing and one thing only, your motherfucking money.

aria

Former Moderator
slerch666 said:
I realize there is a huge uproar. I understand why people are upset. You just have to remember that this is SNK-P's property. They want to ass fuck it, they can ass fuck it.

If they tell you there are fatalities in the game, then remove them and the violence, then that's false advertising, sue and make your voice be heard by their corporate cunts.

As Nruva said N-G.com VS SNK-P

You want to get your point across, rally together and SUE SUE SUE! Hit their pocket books, as in the end they, and every other company are after one thing and one thing only, your motherfucking money.

C'mon, were actually talking about the Neo-Geo on NG.com and you want to play party pooper? :p

Although a class action lawsuit is amusing to think about (but very unrealistic), its not like suing SNK-P into oblivion would stop any new Neo Geo games from being made... (especially since they stopped)

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Yeah, let the wimps that complainedabout this game pay for it. How in the hell is that some outsider that most likely does'nt own or play the system has more influence than the buying public??
This is ludicrous.. SNKP just fatalitied their buying public with a huge knife in the back!
NEO-GEO.COM vs snkp is more fitting.
-BB

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Bobak said:
You knew it was going to happen eventually :D ;)

Its actually cheaper than several hundred plane tickets to Japan. Although the vision of tons of NG.com members storming the SNK-P headquarters would be immensely amusing. Poets would write about it for generations.

couldn't have said it better...

it would truly be a sight to behold, and I can picture photos of the angry mob showing up in game magazines/websites/etc..."We're mad as hell and we're not gonna take it anymore!"

Fight the power
:buttrock:

slerch666

updyke,
Abster said:
Well, it is true that it is their property, but didn't they ever think what the consequences of the desicion would be, especially when they advertised the removed material continuoulsly during its development? Also, didn't they ever think how this decision would affect their sales? It's not like they planned to censor the game at the very end of development intentionally and screw everyone over.
They don't care. It's obvious. If they cared, would we have the version we have? No. All you can do is take legal action, or return the game. Shawn won't want it, as it's unsaleable basically as it is. Does he even allow returns? Then if you return them to him, does it fuck SNK-P? No, it fucks Shawn since he's already paid for the carts.

Clas action suit is the way to go. Bobak, is this feasible? Everyone here, would you be willing to follow through with the suit, to the bitter end, whether you get your $300 back or not? Setup a fund, have people PayPal money to it and use the money for legal costs. Maybe Shawn should donate a 1/3 of the sales to the fund?

I didn't buy the game and don't desire to buy the game. Would I follow through if someone was leading the charge? Yes. Is anyone else willing to follow through and if so, is anyone willing to lead?

If not, then we are all just like a bunch of married women getting together at the kitchen table and discussing the stupid things our families do. It's just airing complaints and nothing more which serves no real purpose but to get the shit off your chest, which is fine, but will get NOTHING DONE, ever.

slerch666

updyke,
Bobak said:
C'mon, were actually talking about the Neo-Geo on NG.com and you want to play party pooper? :p

Although a class action lawsuit is amusing to think about (but very unrealistic), its not like suing SNK-P into oblivion would stop any new Neo Geo games from being made... (especially since they stopped)

LOL

Suing them into oblivion to stop NG games from being made ISN'T the point. The point is to be given the version of the game fans WANT and what was advertised. I thought this was why the thread was made, in hopes of actually changing SNK-P's minds? Or was it just a way to vent? Venting is fine, I suppose, and if that's what the thread is meant for, then I apologize to everyone for being the party pooper.

If you want something to be done about, sitting on here and complaining about it is obviously not the way to get anything done. Speak with your wallets and put your money on the table and go for it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I think everyone's taking it way too personally.

This was NOT a US only thing. This was also for Japanese users, who are also upset. The fact that they did this in such a way as to prevent an easy fix (bios or debug), suggests to me that this wasn't something they did lightly. It's certainly the first time I've heard of them doing it to a game within Japan. This leads me to believe that they were feeling pressure to do this from somewhere, and probably not from just a few, isolated people.

10 years ago while I was teaching english, there was kind of a grass roots crusade against comics there. A large group (seemingly mostly mothers and housewives) were complaining about kids' spoken language skills, along with nudity and violence. Let me tell you that comics practices changed (if only temporarily, in many cases) during that time. While I noticed no real changes in the level of violence, nudity -- a semi regular occurence in boys comics (Shonen Jump, Shonen Sunday, Shonen Magazine, Shonen King; all aimed at 6-12 year olds) became non-existent. I felt sorry for those 6-12 year olds, but I'm sure the publishers felt they were doing it to protect themselves, not to punish the kids.

Unfortunately, it seems Japan has been adopting our policy for blaming outside influences for the ills of society, even though they don't have a whole lot of ill to complain about, comparitively speaking.

I'm sure Playmore knew they'd take flak for this move and suffer losses due to it. They seemed really proud of these additions to the game, so I'm pretty certain they didn't want to do it any more than we wanted them to. People should try not to take it as a personal insult. I understand the disappointment, and if it was a US only edit, I'd yell as loud as anyone. I see this as being differrent.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
I haven't bought the game either, but am more than willing to follow through this for the sake of getting a proper release on the PS2 and Xbox console releases. As for leadership I'm not sure.

aria

Former Moderator
SouthtownKid said:
I understand the disappointment, and if it was a US only edit, I'd yell as loud as anyone. I see this as being differrent.

See, that's where I disagree:

The fact that SNK did this to all home carts users only shows that they pulled the rug out from under us on a much grander scale: everyone was shown fatalities, no one got them.

The fact that they screwed everyone equally doesn't let them off the hook, in my mind.

10 Year Member
slerch666 said:
Clas action suit is the way to go. Bobak, is this feasible? Everyone here, would you be willing to follow through with the suit, to the bitter end, whether you get your $300 back or not? Setup a fund, have people PayPal money to it and use the money for legal costs.

Don't be ridiculous. Even if you were able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that we're dealing with a cut and dried case of false advertising then you'd have to deal with the high-priced lawyers of a large (relatively) company. I understand that at this point in time you might be somewhat blinded by neo passion but it's just not a financially feasible suggestion.

The most prudent route would be to start an online rom-swap petition... didn't someone once mention that Gerstman of Gamespot.com was a huge Neo home cart fan? Maybe we could get him behind this.

slerch666 said:
Maybe Shawn should donate a 1/3 of the sales to the fund?

Shawn is not only a fan, he's also a businessman. All of his hard work wasn't just to put smiles on our faces... even if a significant portion of it was. That suggestion is not in his best interests.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
slerch666 said:
They don't care. It's obvious. If they cared, would we have the version we have? No. All you can do is take legal action, or return the game. Shawn won't want it, as it's unsaleable basically as it is. Does he even allow returns? Then if you return them to him, does it fuck SNK-P? No, it fucks Shawn since he's already paid for the carts.

Truth be know though that is the way it would go. I know no one wants to hear this but the Neo-Store also advertise the screenshots with the fatalities. If you bought the game from the Neo Store going by what was advertised on thier sight be it mis-information supplied to them by SNKP or not. You return it to the Neo-store.

Then it is Shawn who would go back on where he bought it from.
I also think this will fall under the return policy catagory.

http://www.neostore.com/store/policy.asp

The wrong product was received - We are careful to check and recheck every shipment. If you ever receive the wrong product please e-mail sales@neo-geo.com explaining the situation and we will quickly replace the product correctly and credit back the freight cost of your original shipment.

the product that was suppose to be sent out was one with fatalties as advertised in the Neo Store. the one that was recieved is one without.

Tell me if I am wrong Bobak

I know this would majorly Suck for Shawn. But he is the one with the Distrubution Relationship with SNKP. Be it for Better or Worse.

edit: I also think it is about time he put a disclaimer up.

Last edited:

Harry_Hearttrob

Geese's Thug
Maybe SNKP will release another version of SSV, like "SSVS The Directors Cut"...? With the fatalities:rolleyes:

That would give them another chance to fuck us in the ass because that's how they work. It's all about money, SNKP doesn't give a shit about us.

aria

Former Moderator
Stinky-Dinkins said:
The most prudent route would be to start an online rom-swap petition... didn't someone once mention that Gerstman of Gamespot.com was a huge Neo home cart fan? Maybe we could get him behind this.

I think a believable route would be publically embarrassing them, like getting an article out there saying "For its Neo Geo finale, SNK gives its fans a swift kick in the pants".

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Southtownkid, if that's true then this is like the damn P.M.R.C. crap that plagued the music industry some years back...

damn housewives with nothing to do always have to stick their noses in everyone's business...

:mad: