SNES Mini to XRGB-Mini

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Deez was already so kind to brief me on the topic.

He suggested

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/store/p27/Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_SNES_RGB_AV_SCART_Cable_NTSC.html

along with

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/store/p33/European_SCART_to_Framemeister_XRGB_Mini_Converter_adapter_with_built_in_LM1881N_sync_stripper_.html

Just so I'm completely sure to get this correct:

If I have the cable with the sync stripper and get the "SNES RGB AV SCART Cable NTSC with Sync over Composite Video" I would not need to perform this mod (http://retrorgb.com/snescsync.html) ?

thank you for inputs

No, you would not. Expect an annoying (slightly visible) checkerboard pattern though.

Btw. using csync is the better approach for getting a crisp picture. don't forget to install the RGB bypass mod. :)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
FFS lads... NEXT coont to post NEW tech threads in the wrong forums will get a polite pm and then a kick in the balls...

xROTx

PS. I TRIED to make this forum better... at least make a fookin effort here...

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
When just on the main forum page it actually comes across as more confusing to me than it was.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
No, you would not. Expect an annoying (slightly visible) checkerboard pattern though.

Btw. using csync is the better approach for getting a crisp picture. don't forget to install the RGB bypass mod. :)

Do not do the RGB Bypass mod unless you have the translucent center bar. Most mini's do not have this problem though. If no center bar is present just jump the RGB out pins on the encoder through 75 ohm resistors to the multiout. You also need to run composite sync from the composite sync pin on the encoder to the composite sync pin on the AV port. Doing the bypass does not improve video quality on the mini unless it has said bar issue.

As for an RGB cable you do want one wired for composite sync and not composite video as sync. Using composite video for sync is what results in the diagonal lines (checkerboard) problem. If you buy the C-Sync version of that cable you should not need the sync stripper.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
As for an RGB cable you do want one wired for composite sync and not composite video as sync. Using composite video for sync is what results in the diagonal lines (checkerboard) problem. If you buy the C-Sync version of that cable you should not need the sync stripper.

Does this also apply for a rgb modded N64? I am getting some kind of checkerboard effect and i am using composite video for sync . If that the case , i'll go wire my CSYNC on the N64 and get a CSYNC cable.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Does this also apply for a rgb modded N64? I am getting some kind of checkerboard effect and i am using composite video for sync . If that the case , i'll go wire my CSYNC on the N64 and get a CSYNC cable.

You'll need to make sure your N64 has it. I believe after a certain revision the components to pull c sync were removed.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student

Yes it is the same for the N64. You really don't want to use composite video for sync with either system. If C-Sync does not go through to your AV port on it you can connect it from pin 14 on U4 VDC-NUS BU9801F.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
You'll need to make sure your N64 has it. I believe after a certain revision the components to pull c sync were removed.

Yeah it a NUS-CPU-03 so i am safe on that side. I was just lazy when i did the mod and did not pull the csync. Lesson learned and 30 screws to remove and put back lol

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Well i don't even need to mod the damn thing , it already outputting csync to the AV connector. I tried with a CSYNC cable , it works and the checkered effect is gone. Thanks guys!