SNES mini classic

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
i understood about half of that.

I would install it for you if you weren't living in Germanistan :cool:

Seriously though, retroarch is great and can run pretty much every game in their original form, no need to wait for patches. The best part of that retroarch port is that it works in the background which means that you don't really see the difference between the retroarch games and the regular ones. They appear in the same menu with the same interface... and they just work. You can also install multiple cores (PCE, MD, etc...). You should definitely check it out.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
*edit*

Derp, Yodd beat me to it.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I would install it for you if you weren't living in Germanistan :cool:

Seriously though, retroarch is great and can run pretty much every game in their original form, no need to wait for patches. The best part of that retroarch port is that it works in the background which means that you don't really see the difference between the retroarch games and the regular ones. They appear in the same menu with the same interface... and they just work. You can also install multiple cores (PCE, MD, etc...). You should definitely check it out.

what times we live in

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
CPoon did that to my Classic NES and works like a charm. Love it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If you’re running retroarch....what’s the difference between that and a Pi?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
If you’re running retroarch....what’s the difference between that and a Pi?

You can run both the official and retroarch emulators at the same time and with the same Nintendo interface. Having this option is pretty cool is you want to keep the input lags to a minimum on certain games. The SNES mini used to be pretty limited storagewise but the usd hack solved that.

If you're asking me if you should sell you SNES classic to buy a Pi I'd say try both and see for yourself. Pi aren't that expensive and SNES classic are easy to sell.

If good old NES/SNES/GB/SMS/GEN/TG16 classics is all you want to play then maybe your SNES mini is all you need. If you want more (PS1, N64, arcade, fullsets, whatever) then yeah, the Pi is a better choice. The hardware is more capable.

None of these things come close to PC emulation though but that's another topic.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
If you're getting lag with the 8bitdo pad on the pi use a USB Bluetooth dongle, the radio on the pi3 is shit. The pad is capable of lagless wireless but it needs a strong signal.

Thanks for this - nice to know there's a solution. The lag hasn't stopped me from using the pi, but tighter controls are always appreciated. And I do really like the feel of this 8bitdo pads.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Found a bunch of them at a local Super Target while I was out with my lady. Picked one up on a whim.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hey guys, just thought I would share with you my review of the 8bitdo 2.4G gamepad:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Nice review. I agree completely, unless you are super human at detecting lag, you aren't going to notice any with these remotes. Played games over the weekend at my sister's place and never felt like I was hampered by their performance, just my lame skills :lolz:

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I would really like to know how these 2.4ghz versions compare to the Bluetooth ones regarding lag. I have 4x of the bluetooth versions, with 4x SNES retro receivers for our multi-tap gaming nights, and not any of us have had any lag or connection problems with the Bluetooth versions. So I'm not sure it's worth it to upgrade (that's a steep upgrade price too).

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I might pick up one of the 8bitdo SNES Classic Bluetooth adapters and do a shootout.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Retroarch on SNES Mini is slow for quite a few SNES games. Biometal was a test for me since at first the rom I used wouldn't work. So put it in using Retroarch and it was sluggish as hell. Luckily I found a working rom that ran fine with the internal emulator.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Finally managed to snag one off Gamestop's site today. Hate ordering shit from them, but hey if I get it, I get it.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
So when will we have a chance to buy them for MSRP again? õ_Ô

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So when will we have a chance to buy them for MSRP again? õ_Ô

dfc9cb604b098baa8fd4bad2d1b662f1.jpg