SNES mini classic

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Those pads include the dongle?

I ordered an 8bit-do pad, N-30, and dongle was sold seperately. Should of just ordered these.

Well here’s the deal. These pads are cheaper (24.99) than getting what you got plus the dongle BUT these aren’t Bluetooth. So if you wanted a wireless solution for multiple devices, the Bluetooth controller and the dongle for your mini is the best way to go. If you just wanted a wireless solution for your mini, then these are the best way to go.

v9h2rqg.jpg

Lp6O8dk.jpg

These do come with a usb cord that you can use to hook up to a pc/Mac and use it that way but fuck that shit.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I almost bought those controllers (as a matter of fact, I had the pre ordered on Amazon), but canned the order once I got into the RetroPie.

I know it's not an official "sale"...but if anyone wants my SNES mini, I'll sell it for what I have in it. PM me and we'll work things out.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Well here’s the deal. These pads are cheaper (24.99) than getting what you got plus the dongle BUT these aren’t Bluetooth. So if you wanted a wireless solution for multiple devices, the Bluetooth controller and the dongle for your mini is the best way to go. If you just wanted a wireless solution for your mini, then these are the best way to go.

v9h2rqg.jpg

Lp6O8dk.jpg

These do come with a usb cord that you can use to hook up to a pc/Mac and use it that way but fuck that shit.

I also imagine these don't have any of the lag like the Bluetooth versions? Speaking of Raspberry pi, I use the 8bitdos and they lay pretty bad compared to a wired controller. Not bad for RPGs or slow games but forget about shooters.

I should have a snes mini coming for Xmas, anxious to compare to my raspberries.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with them, but I have the SNES mini 8bitdo wireless controllers and I haven't noticed any lag. Played some SFII and SCIV.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I've only noticed lag on a raspberry Pi using the 8bitdo through bluetooth. On an Original console with the Retro Receivers, it's on point. Same with using it on the Switch, it doesn't seem to suffer any lag. I'm wondering if the internal bluetooth receiver on the Pi is causing the lag, perhaps it's not a strong receiver?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I also imagine these don't have any of the lag like the Bluetooth versions? Speaking of Raspberry pi, I use the 8bitdos and they lay pretty bad compared to a wired controller. Not bad for RPGs or slow games but forget about shooters.

I should have a snes mini coming for Xmas, anxious to compare to my raspberries.

That's what bugged me about the PI. I found it laggy no matter what settings I used, I could always notice it on fast games. Haven't noticed any lag on the Snes mini with the same 8bitdo controllers.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
That's what bugged me about the PI. I found it laggy no matter what settings I used, I could always notice it on fast games. Haven't noticed any lag on the Snes mini with the same 8bitdo controllers.

that's really good to hear. Yeah, I really want to love the Pi...but the lag is ALWAYS noticeable.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I have a kinda laggy tv and the snes classic is the best with input I have ever seen. I had zero issues beating the pants off a lot of games I had issues with while using the emu on my wii.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior

v9h2rqg.jpg

Lp6O8dk.jpg

Thanks, the N30 I got works for the Switch also so it worked out in the end.

Still going to pick one of these these guys up to test it out.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Its funny, I keep seeing people talking about lag...but I've yet to experience it myself. I've played through NES Contra and a couple of Ninja Gaiden games and none of them gave me any grief control wise (and yes, I'm running that Bluetooth controller).

I'll have to keep messing with it to see if i can find it lagging...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I recently picked up a SNES classic and having been comparing it to a Raspberry Pi 3 + Retropie setup.

On the same display and both using wired controllers (iBuffalo USB SNES controller on the PI) and the SNES Classic seems a tiny bit more responsive.

The controls on the Pi3 setup seem a little bit more floaty, if that makes any sense.

And the save state system on the SNES Classic, in my opinion, is better than the one built into the SNES emu in Retropie. More user friendly and harder to accidentally overwrite the wrong save state.

theMot

10 Year Member
Its funny, I keep seeing people talking about lag...but I've yet to experience it myself. I've played through NES Contra and a couple of Ninja Gaiden games and none of them gave me any grief control wise (and yes, I'm running that Bluetooth controller).

I'll have to keep messing with it to see if i can find it lagging...

Try super mario world.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hey guys

I am working on my review of the 8bitdo 2.4Ghz SNES Classic controller and so far I have been super pleased.

I know wireless lag is a concern everyone has.

So I took some 240 FPS slowmotion footage from Contra III between the original SNES Classic wired controller and the 8bitdo 2.4G wireless:

This was shot using my iPhone 8+ as my production video camera doesn't have that high of FPS slow motion ability. I initially shot the footage at 120 FPS, but even then it was hard to tell much a difference. Once I went to 240, it was clear that there is some very minimal lag in the 8bitdo config.

My full review (due by New Years) will of course look better than this. I just wanted to share this with you guys.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Hey guys

I am working on my review of the 8bitdo 2.4Ghz SNES Classic controller and so far I have been super pleased.

I know wireless lag is a concern everyone has.

So I took some 240 FPS slowmotion footage from Contra III between the original SNES Classic wired controller and the 8bitdo 2.4G wireless:

This was shot using my iPhone 8+ as my production video camera doesn't have that high of FPS slow motion ability. I initially shot the footage at 120 FPS, but even then it was hard to tell much a difference. Once I went to 240, it was clear that there is some very minimal lag in the 8bitdo config.

My full review (due by New Years) will of course look better than this. I just wanted to share this with you guys.

Did you wire this up so one button press registered on both controllers?

btw, love your reviews for stuff. very helpful and go into details most other reviews would just skip over.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Did you wire this up so one button press registered on both controllers?

No. Best I could do was trying to press both buttons at the same time. Very low tech, I know. Best I could do though unless I want to hack both controllers for this test.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Anxious to watch that video - but my work internet is sucking balls at the moment.

I've been VERY pleased with with SNES mini so far. Way better than Raspberry....I can actually play F-Zero. I have an 8bitDo wireless receiver coming today so I will be anxious to check that out as well.

theMot

10 Year Member
Anxious to watch that video - but my work internet is sucking balls at the moment.

I've been VERY pleased with with SNES mini so far. Way better than Raspberry....I can actually play F-Zero. I have an 8bitDo wireless receiver coming today so I will be anxious to check that out as well.

Sounds like you have a lot of anxiety in your life over small insignificant matters. This can lead to depression. You should seek professional help if this persists.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you're getting lag with the 8bitdo pad on the pi use a USB Bluetooth dongle, the radio on the pi3 is shit. The pad is capable of lagless wireless but it needs a strong signal.

If you've got one of the NES or SNES retro receivers you can use them as Bluetooth dongles by connecting a micro USB cable to them.

The pads don't do great with my phone but Bluetooth controllers on Android is pretty hit and miss anyway, I always do USB with Android devices.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
neither terranigma nor illusion of gaia work on the mini. this mildly upsets me.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
neither terranigma nor illusion of gaia work on the mini. this mildly upsets me.

You need to install retroarch with the snes9x core and add "--retroarch" in the command line. This method also works with non working NES games on the NES mini (with a retroarch NES core or course).