Simulated scanlines on LCD/LED displays.

-D-

Zero's Secretary
I think faked scanlines look better than no scanlines; but they still look a tad odd no matter what.

And XRGB devices are pretty cool and have some awesome uses; but in general it's a really expensive way to simulate a CRT-like experience when you can get a decent CRT for so damn cheap anyway.

I guess if space is a major factor that really makes more sense though. But if I were to invest in an XRGB I'd probably prefer to use it on a plasma anyway, as I find the general motion blur of LCD/LED displays to be really obnoxious.

Akille68

Crazed MVS Addict
Hi guys,
What about SLG Scart? I know that is not as good as the coverters you mentioned, but is very cheap...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've tried my slg 3000 on my samsung plasma and it doesn't look right. The scanlines look weird compared to a crt.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Hi guys,
What about SLG Scart? I know that is not as good as the coverters you mentioned, but is very cheap...

It's arse, see my folly;

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?236068-SLG-SCART-unit-from-ArcadeForge.&highlight=

I do have a nice CRT, so I have that to fall back on, but one of these days I will have to go the synch>upscan>scanline insert route using some decent kit, although I don't mind the clean pixel view on my LED tv.

That said, I have seen some footage of a LCD / LED set up with a decent scanline set up and it looks astounding.

Scanlines are a compliment to retro games, not baggage.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
To me the pursuit of scan lines boils down to the age old affliction many of us acquired throughout the 80’s and 90’s in seeking out a true arcade experience at home. If you’re unconcerned by this, that’s fine. And nobody needs to get confrontational about this because this is 21st century and not 1983 or 1992.

It's just my opinion, but I prefer having some sort of scan line when playing games with 2d sprites especially where its original arcade counterpart was being played on 15khz CRT monitors. Anything with polygons, even an early game like VF1/2, I wouldn’t tend to bother.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Personally.. I always use scanlines for 2D low res sprites for one reason and one reason only..

it looks nicer.. nothing more, nothing less :)

this is how my eyes remember it from back in the day. I've read soo many arguments about this on soo many different forums.. but it all boils down to personal preference..

as for the development of the games with scanlines in mind... probably not.. but Im sure they all had about 50 crts lying around their offices with the console dev kits all hooked up so they knew exactly what the final product would look like regardless of graphics being just raw data..

vasilas432

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Guys which upscaler do you propose from RGB to VGA to connect the AES to my Eizo 17 4:3 VGA monitor? It really has a great picture quality and I would like also to mix the slg 3000.
This is my monitor with xbox 360 in action
p1080645o.jpg

Thank you

Last edited:

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I've recently been toying around with some emulators.. just for the image quality.. I rarely actually use roms for enjoyment..

and I have to say that Final Burn Alpha on my laptop.. hooked up to my Panasonic TX-P42X10 plasma looks absolutely gorgeous! I have 50% scanlines enables and some phosphor settings (cant really remember right now..) and the bi-linear filter.

but what looks even nicer... heck ALMOST PERFECT.. is K Fusion (genesis/mega drive emulator) again 50% scanlines and a bi-linear filter that i downloaded off the net.

Had them both runnung in a full screen res of 640x480, 60 hz and 4:3 obviously.

I'd say about about a 90-93% likeness to an actual crt.. :)

I always thought emulators looks really meh on my laptop or pc.. but I never thought of trying to hook it.

Fun little experiment since most emulator scanline filters are activated by the click of a mouse.. plus I now have a really good excuse for metal slug multiplayer for any guests I have over as the setup is in my living room :p

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Hi mate,

I discovered this website last night:
http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

After one hour of reading I still hadn't really scraped the surface. From what I can discern, this is basically the bible for retro gaming on modern TV's.
There must be some answers in there for you. Good luck.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
it's been 2 years...

Any new developments/devices/price comparisons/mentionable quality differences?