Simplest way to add pause button to MVS? help?

It's been close to decade since I've visited this forum but remember it being a pretty helpful place when I first got my 4 Slot MVS arcade machine many years ago.

I've finally managed to buy a house and was able to take my Neo Geo from my folks basement.

Now that I can use it again I would love to add a pause button. Whats the simplest most basic way to do this without molesting the Machine?

On a side note, I did purchase a Jgo memory card recently but couldn't get it to work. Not sure if its my machine or the card yet. Anyone with MVS systems have any experience/luck with these cards?

Thanks
🤘

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
If you don't have one already, 100% get unibios for your board for several reasons, including this one!

Once unibios is installed, you can do the in-game key combo (start + game select) to bring up the unibios menu, which will pause the game as well.
You could even switch to AES bios, then pause would probably work natively for most games. Your cab remains unmolested :)

If you don't have one already, 100% get unibios for your board for several reasons, including this one!

Once unibios is installed, you can do the in-game key combo (start + game select) to bring up the unibios menu, which will pause the game as well.
You could even switch to AES bios, then pause would probably work natively for most games. Your cab remains unmolested :)
Well this sounds awesome, could you direct a noob to a step by step guide to doing this? (I will google myself as well, but if you know of a good guide it would be appreciated)

I know I'm capable, just need to be walked through it.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Well this sounds awesome, could you direct a noob to a step by step guide to doing this? (I will google myself as well, but if you know of a good guide it would be appreciated)

I know I'm capable, just need to be walked through it.
Installing depends on your particular model of MVS, in most cases depending if it's already socketed or not. http://unibios.free.fr/ is the official home page, if you google MV-## install guide you'll find them for your particular model.

Installing depends on your particular model of MVS, in most cases depending if it's already socketed or not. http://unibios.free.fr/ is the official home page, if you google MV-## install guide you'll find them for your particular model.
Ok, So I read read over the system requirements section. When I look inside my machine I see NEO-MVH on the board. This is good news right? That means its socket? If not, how do I tell?

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If you're working with a 4 slot, it's a socketed bios. Super easy, burn the Unibios and the just pop the old one out and pop the new one in.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You DO have a socket.....only owners of certain 1 slot boards don't have the bios socket.
What do you have? An MV4 or an MV4F board?
BB

If you're working with a 4 slot, it's a socketed bios. Super easy, burn the Unibios and the just pop the old one out and pop the new one in.
lol sorry, what do you mean "burn the unibios"? Do I need to buy a new chip with it installed and just pop it in? Like I said, I don't know shit.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
lol sorry, what do you mean "burn the unibios"? Do I need to buy a new chip with it installed and just pop it in? Like I said, I don't know shit.
Yes. You just need the eprom programmed, and swap it in. Sorry for the motherboard confusion, I skimmed the OP and somehow missed the 4 slot part.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
You can buy BIOS ICs preflashed with Unibios (ebay etc.), I keep reading that 4.0 doesn't work nice with multi slot systems, 3.3 is recommended but I don't have a multi slot system so no real experience.

Personally I find the prices for a pre-flashed BIOS overblown on ebay, the BIOS IC can be bought for a buck or so in bulk (probably less), the Unibios 3.3 and 4.0 are free, an EPROM Burner (I'm using the TL866II Plus) and an UV eraser can be bought for less than 100 bucks and they will do a lot fo things and not "wear off".

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
You can buy BIOS ICs preflashed with Unibios (ebay etc.), I keep reading that 4.0 doesn't work nice with multi slot systems, 3.3 is recommended but I don't have a multi slot system so no real experience.

Personally I find the prices for a pre-flashed BIOS overblown on ebay, the BIOS IC can be bought for a buck or so in bulk (probably less), the Unibios 3.3 and 4.0 are free, an EPROM Burner (I'm using the TL866II Plus) and an UV eraser can be bought for less than 100 bucks and they will do a lot fo things and not "wear off".

Thanks, will definitely pick one of these up. I know someone recommended the 3.3 version but for the price I think its worth a shot. Even if shipping is twice the cost of the item.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Thanks, will definitely pick one of these up. I know someone recommended the 3.3 version but for the price I think its worth a shot. Even if shipping is twice the cost of the item.
You can ask him to burn you a 3.3 instead if you'd rather have that. He should have no problem doing either

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I have 3.3 and 4.0 and usually use 3.3 because the in game menu is more vivid

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Do the newer versions have significantly more cheats built in? That would be the only thing that would make me want to upgrade.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I have 3.3 and 4.0 and usually use 3.3 because the in game menu is more vivid
You can change the colors in 4.0.

Do the newer versions have significantly more cheats built in? That would be the only thing that would make me want to upgrade.
Nope. The majority of cheats are ram hacks that have been listed on the web for a long time. I don't think there have been any significant additions.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
If you have some Aligator clips around you can short out a pin on the 68000 CPU to pause the game.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Ah, the good ol 68K HAULT pin. I have a momentary on that on my franken-genesis to hold while changing clock speeds.